A Lesson On Applying Triads (Rhythm Changes)

BradBrad Frets: 659
edited July 2020 in Technique
Thought I’d make a tentative foray into the world of YouTube video lessons... massive props to those folk who make it look so easy and slick!

So it’s a lesson about triads/arpeggios and how I like to approach them and hopefully make them sound even slightly musical (guess that’s in the ear of the beholder!) I’ve used Rhythm Changes as a vehicle for it, but the principles apply regardless of the tune or genre. It’s not a beginners lesson by any stretch, so some prior understanding of triads will be beneficial, but not essential. 

I’m a little hamstrung by where I can film at the moment and a few other factors too, but hopefully the info comes across and someone might find it useful. It is incredibly easy to go down a rabbit hole and really waffle, it could have been at least twice the length easily, as I’m not very good at talking quickly haha.

Any thoughts good or bad, are more than welcome. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    I really enjoyed the playing. Not really my kind of thing, but will try it. 

I’m watching on an ipad, and noticed that your voice levels are low compared to the guitar. It may be you cant easily resolve this, but if you can get the two levels closer, that’d be helpful. 

Tab is always really useful for us learners, so thanks for including that.

You’ve made me pick up a guitar to try it, so its a thumbs up from me  :)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited July 2020
    I agree with what @chotu495 ;said

The voice from 0:42 is very quiet compared to the intro playing. The level comes up for the musical explanations from 2:44 but it's still lower than the intro playing.

An interesting demonstration of musically applying triads.

It's not a competition.
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, I clocked that too. Thanks for your thoughts guys, I’ll look at fixing it. Learning this stuff as I go really, lots to improve on. I’m sure there’s a load of gear I could probably do with getting too.

@chotu495 really glad it’s inspired you to give it a go! smile 

EDIT - Volumes hopefully a little more balanced in the vid now
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    It’s fantastic. Is that how you actually think then? In arps of each chord? Because I play often play to 6251s in a similar-sounding way to yours, but I’ve never had the discipline to play properly so I just flick to the notes as their time arrives, but consequently my hands are all over the shop. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    It’s fantastic. Is that how you actually think then? In arps of each chord? Because I play often play to 6251s in a similar-sounding way to yours, but I’ve never had the discipline to play properly so I just flick to the notes as their time arrives, but consequently my hands are all over the shop. 
    Thank you sir! I guess it is, but it does depend on the situation to be honest - how many chords, any key changes, tempo, how familiar I am with the tune etc. A lot of things can factor into my thought process (or lack of). You hit the nail on the head there about discipline though. I was tired of hearing sax players really nailing changes while I kinda floundered around them. It can and does feel restrictive at first, limiting the amount of things at ones disposal but once we get through the pain barrier it's really liberating.

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Very useful lesson, I enjoyed it and will benefit from it.  I appreciate you not spending time on nuts and bolts stuff and just getting right to it, inversions and all.  Maybe tag/title it as something to do with breaking free from the same old pentatonic, as that's a badly needed lesson for many of us.

I did find your voice hard to follow near the end as you were talking and playing simultaneously.  But you'll get that tech stuff figured out soon enough.

I was also confused that the sheet was saying C7 and D7 while you were saying and playing "minor" rather than dominants.

Curious to know if you teach technique at all.  I ask because you were using a pick, which I also prefer but it's challenging to do so with constant triads, which is why I'm more like the chap above who mentioned lacking the discipline to do anything more than just get to the chord and pick any couple of the notes real quick.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
    Cranky said:
    I was also confused that the sheet was saying C7 and D7 while you were saying and playing "minor" rather than dominants.
    The sheet says ‘C-7’ and ‘D-7’ which is shorthand for minor 7 chords. They’re also each functioning as ‘ii’ chords so there’s another clue.
    Cranky said:
    Very useful lesson, I enjoyed it and will benefit from it.  I appreciate you not spending time on nuts and bolts stuff and just getting right to it, inversions and all.  Maybe tag/title it as something to do with breaking free from the same old pentatonic, as that's a badly needed lesson for many of us.

I did find your voice hard to follow near the end as you were talking and playing simultaneously.  But you'll get that tech stuff figured out soon enough.

Curious to know if you teach technique at all.  I ask because you were using a pick, which I also prefer but it's challenging to do so with constant triads, which is why I'm more like the chap above who mentioned lacking the discipline to do anything more than just get to the chord and pick any couple of the notes real quick.
    Thanks for the kind words and I really appreciate you saying you got something from it :smile: 

Good shout on the title and the speaking thing too. I probably need a mic for the voice, but it’s the first time I’ve ever spoken to myself to a camera which was utterly bizarre and intimidating. And I shouldn’t play whilst talking! Bit of a bad habit there, thanks for pointing that out :smile:

I do teach technique, but it won’t be the obvious stuff (tapping/sweeping etc). Again, it’s a tricky one as there will be so many vids out here about technique. Is there anything in particular you’d be looking for, or maybe no one has touched on?

As @digitalkettle pointed out, it is indeed C-7 and D-7. Would you (or anyone) prefer seeing Cm7?

If anyone has a spare 5mins I did a part 2. Looking at bars 9-12 this time and then a little chat about practise strategies...

https://youtu.be/95JpKCm_xOo