67 Flying V neck joint

What's Hot
Hi, can any one explain to me the mortise and tenon joint at the heel. I'm aware of how it all works etc but the plans aren't detailed at this point.  As the fretboard continues onto the guitar body at a slight rake angle, at that point what is the fretboard actually glued to as the tenon is much narrower than the fretboard. So although small there would be a sloping gap between guitar body and fretboard. I'm using ALS plans. Hope this makes sense, but if someone could give me some detail of this or tell me where to look for it , or am I not reading things right. Much appreciated. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    There are a few possible approaches

1) add shims under the edges of the fretboard to fill the gap left by the angle

2) angle the end of the body under the board to match the neck angle so no gap occurs. 

3) use a full width tenon instead of the traditional join.

I would go with option 3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader

WezV said:

There are a few possible approaches

1) add shims under the edges of the fretboard to fill the gap left by the angle

2) angle the end of the body under the board to match the neck angle so no gap occurs. 

3) use a full width tenon instead of the traditional join.

I would go with option 3

Completely agree with @WezV ;option 3. Have a look at my current post of how I build Flying V's, the build starts page 2.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/177593/covid-19-im-now-in-total-isolation-so-lots-of-building-to-do/p2

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• peteropetero Frets: 0
    That’s what I’ll do then. Just so I’ve got it clear. The tenon will be very close to the neck lead in on the body where it curves round to accept the neck. Is it wise then to make that part of body a couple of mm wider to accommodate the wider tenon so it could be blended back in. Thanks
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    I think @GSPBASSES made a very elegant job of his Flying V neck joint.   If you read his article above you will see what he did.
    Yes I’m going to study that in detail. Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73115
    I think Gibson did it with a shim, or really a wedge, under each side of the fingerboard, but I agree with WezV - a full-width tenon is easier, and also easier to fit really well and make very strong. I've seen quite a number of Gibsons and other traditionally-built Vs with cracks through to the pickup cavity along the sides of the neck - because the way they do it is weaker than a full-width tenon with a glue joint there, and also the maximum possible gluing area and contact under the tenon which will stop it trying to lift. Sometimes the simplest solution is also the best.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Agreed thanks
    Yes, I've studied GSPBASSES thread and I can clearly see the advantages of his method, especially extending the body..grat idea and I think I need to copy that. If that's ok to copy it. Thanks very much for your help