P bass cap values

bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
Just making a new loom up for my mexi p.
i already have some .022 caps in the draw but standard value is .047.
is there any reason why I couldn’t use a pair of .022 caps in parallel?
also have just seen on the fender website the different wiring between the standard P and 62 P.
what kind of differences would I expect with the two layouts?
cheers!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Yes, you can use two .022s instead of one .047.

If I remember rightly the '62 P Bass used a .1uF cap, so you would need five 0.22s in parallel to duplicate that.

What differences are in the wiring? As far as I know they've always been the same apart from the cap value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited July 2020
    @ICBM ;
    Yeh, the 62 uses a .1
    think if I went with a 62 config, I’d Buy a 0.1 as it might get a bit messy with 5 caps!
    heres the pic off the fender site.

https://i.imgur.com/53WrDOn.png

The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Ah, I see - the connections on the tone pot are reversed. It makes no difference to the operation, it's just purely a variable resistance. The 'standard' is easier to wire up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Ah, I see - the connections on the tone pot are reversed. It makes no difference to the operation, it's just purely a variable resistance. The 'standard' is easier to wire up.
    Thank you!

The Swamp City Shakers
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    edited July 2020
    AV’63 is a .1uF. 

In combination with flatwound strings, rolling the tone pot fully down produces that woolly/woofy British Blues Boom tone associated with the young John McVie.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AV’63 is a .1uF. 

In combination with flatwound strings, rolling the tone pot fully down produces that woolly/woofy British Blues Boom tone associated with the young John McVie.
    Think I’d better pick up a .1 cap and have a play. My US standard is wearing flats now so could end up in that bass.
    The Swamp City Shakers