New Taylor Swift - with Bon Iver and a Dessner

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17552
    tFB Trader
    gusman2x said:
    I need to try Norman fucking rockwell again. But I suspect I’ll never get over the fact that it’s not born to die. 

Im really enjoying the 1st listen of folklore. I ADORED 1989, so I like that this is less poppy, so I don’t need to draw musical/production comparisons. 
    Norman Fucking Rockwell was my album of 2019. Utterly magnificent, and this new TS record is similar, but doesn't have it.

It's brilliant but it's so sweary I can't have it on in front of the kids!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    OK, really need to try it again then. It did not grab me at all on the one and only listen I gave it. Is it another concept/character album?

Current best track on Swifty album is The Lat American Dynasty (?). Great song.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Where's @bingefeller ?  I miss him telling us that TS has a new album out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5400
    edited August 2020
    Just listening to this today. What a brilliant album. The funny thing is I can almost imagine them releasing some of these songs with the vocal replaced by a typically weary-sounding Matt Berninger and we'd all be going "holy shit the new National record is incredible!"

The song with Bon Iver is a fabulous take on the ol' 4-chorder ... great production, and I see that Justin is still refusing to work on any record that involves the use of capital letters, so kudos to him for sticking to his guns.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5435
    Swifty looks so much like my ex that I find it difficult to watch her, but I might give this new stuff a listen.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26870
    I've had it on rotation the last couple of weeks. There's some good stuff, but while I love the folky stylings the melodies just don't work as well for me compared with her other more poppy stuff. I feel like these songs would actually benefit from less folksy production*. I feel like I want her to go even more indie on the melodies.

Nevertheless I'm very glad it's making more people realise she's awesome. Now go listen to Red and 1989 :P

* Except "peace", which is basically perfection. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Nitefly said:
    Where's @bingefeller ?  I miss him telling us that TS has a new album out.

I like it, it's a great album and I certainly wasn't expecting it from her.  I do prefer her pop orientated stuff.  She's still great no matter what she does, she doesn't even need to spend money on advertising - just announce on Twitter  and Insta that she has a new album and it sells like crazy.  
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2588
    I've been enjoying this.  I doubt I'll be listening to it in 3 years (or even 3 months) time, but it's good.  I've never doubted her talent but I'm not in the right demographic for the shiny country she first made her name with or the shiny pop that made her massive.  I'm not being a genre snob, just acknowledging that I'm old enough to want different things from music than those genres offer.  (It's not like I'm much of an indie fan either, I just need something a bit subtler than sugar-rush pop).
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    In my mind Bon Iver is some sort of Bon Jovi tribute band.  I've never heard them (him? her?) and I don't want to, it would spoil the illusion.
    Philly_Q said:
    In my mind Bon Iver is some sort of Bon Jovi tribute band.  I've never heard them (him? her?) and I don't want to, it would spoil the illusion.
    https://youtu.be/8IZKE2Hd6Ck
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Nowhere near enough reverb on that...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    Whitecat said:
    Philly_Q said:
    So now I've heard them (is that them?).  Ouch.  That was painful.
    Philly_Q said:
    Whitecat said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Lol. It is not. It is sort of “in the style of” done as parody. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6766
    Whitecat said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Whitecat said:
    Philly_Q said:
    That’s a pity, I loved that ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Whitecat said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Whitecat said:
    Philly_Q said:
    That’s a pity, I loved that ;)
    Listen to some real Bon Iver then, it's even better! ;)

(I'm actually a fan, although his more recent forays into more electro-influenced stuff don't work quite as well for me - his self-titled 2011 album is his high water mark for me. Really good record that I listen to front-to-back all the time.)
    22, A Million wins for me, but every BI record is worth a listen and they're all very different from each other. I, I is probably my least favourite, but still good. The Blood Bank EP is great too. 
    edited August 2020
    If anyone does want to try any Bon Iver, try these. Well worth listening to all 3 as they're all quite different. But I'd recommend just grabbing all album and listening right through.

For Emma - most folky & falsetto-ey
    Blood Bank EP - weird vocoder stuff but also folky, somehow
    Bon Iver - most guitary
    22, A Million - glitchy and hip-hoppier
    I, I - a bit more soul flavoured, I guess?

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Really enjoying the album. At the age of 43, I am definitely becoming a Swiftie - she really writes bloody good songs and this album, with the indie treatment, makes me feel a little less guilty. My 9 year old daughter loves her so it’s actually brilliant having something to connect with her about, as YouTube make-up videos are not really my thing. 
    Also discovering The National, who mates have been steering me towards for ages. 
    mattdavis said:
    Really enjoying the album. At the age of 43, I am definitely becoming a Swiftie - she really writes bloody good songs and this album, with the indie treatment, makes me feel a little less guilty. My 9 year old daughter loves her so it’s actually brilliant having something to connect with her about, as YouTube make-up videos are not really my thing. 
    Also discovering The National, who mates have been steering me towards for ages. 
    Welcome aboard. Now go listen to Bloodbuzz Ohio :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Wow, just listened to the album. My Tears Ricochet is absolutely xxxxxxx,, ridiculously good both as a song and a piece of lockdown production.