NGD - Klein copy

RolandRoland Frets: 9128
I’ve been wondering what a Klein would be like to play. They rarely come up for sale. Most of the YouTube videos are dire. Prompted by @althy’s WTB thread @octatonic’s discussion thread I decided that the only realistic way to find out was to make my own. 

The body is a Mahogany-like wood, probably sapele, an off cut from a local carpenter’s firewood pile. The neck is Ovangkol with Maple (?) board, based on a partially made neck from @GSPBASSES, to which I’ve fitted Jescar gold frets. Pickups are @OilCityPickups Brass Knuckles, with individual magnets under each string for a clear sound. Pickups are partially tapped at positions 2 and 4 of the five way switch. Credit to @normula1 for suggesting using trim pots instead of fixed resistors. While we’re having an Oscar ceremony list of people to thank I shouldn’t forget @ICBM who suggested cannibalising SCART cables for wire. Bridge/tuner is J-Custom which I bought some time ago from a forum member. Sorry, it’s so long ago I’ve forgotten who.

Rather than wood screws I’ve used machine screws and threaded inserts to attach pickups, bridge and neck. The neck screws are stainless steel through cup washers into brass inserts, all from @Graingerguitars.There was a recent thread about whether inserts are better than traditional wood screws for attaching necks. They are a lot more work to fit, but they feel firmer when tightened. Build thread here.

The guitar is a joy to play. The neck is in the same position whether I’m sitting or standing, and encourages good playing technique. Makes a change from Telecasters.
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments