Go new or ex display for £50 less

What's Hot
Looking at a new 12 string and guitarguitar will price match a EU box shifter for me so will do it for £799. Guitar retails other places from £850 to £1000

Another retailer has an ex display and will sell it for £750 but when asked about condition they say slight blemish on rear

I assume ex display woukd have cruddy strings so taking that I woukd need to replace them not sure whether £50 saving becomes worth it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 10235
    It’s not worth it anyway. The blemish will make it slightly harder to sell than a mint one or reduce the price if you move it on. £50 is too small a discount to worry about,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    edited July 2020
    go new at that price range £50 is not worth the hassle. As you say £10 to £15 of that will go strait on a new set of strings

If you saved £50 on a £200 guitar it would be worth thinking about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd go new, and hope you get a brilliant instrument so the 50 quid pales into insignificance :) 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6231
    The only thing that would tempt me towards the ex demo with those figures would be knowing the shop would pick a really good one and set it up perfectly to go on display. If it’s just an open box version, I’d pay the £50 to have a new one. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Depends how bad the blemish is and how good the guitar is...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RonnieHotdogsRonnieHotdogs Frets: 187
    edited July 2020
    Offer them 700
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6316
    Ask for a pic of the blemish and judge for yourself.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    +1 for depends.

If you plan to gig the bejeezus out of the thing, it is going to end up marked anyway.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • No gigging anticipated and I am quite ocd about the condition of my guitars

Cheers for the comments it's where I was thinking and the comments have confirmed my initial views 
  • Johnw84Johnw84 Frets: 55
    If you're ocd about things then that small mark will forever be an annoyance.

I'm not to bothered about marks on guitars, and a £50 saving for a small mark is still £50 in my books. If it was something I thought I'd sell on in the future though the difference in price wouldn't be worth it. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    £50 saving on £750 isn’t a huge % so I would lean towards getting the new one but it’s worth getting a pic if you can as the term blemish is a bit vague - they might be really fussy and it’s hardly noticeable but it could look horrific.   
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    £50 off isn't enough for a shop-soiled item.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    New for 50 notes more! Shop demo / second hand will have been played by a hundred people with greasy big mac fingers.  Spend the extra 50, or buy used at used prices
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2481
    I was once offered for a nominal discount a multi-effects unit that was described by the big name retailer as “ex-demo” but I discovered it had actually been owned by a staff member and used at home for several months! I’ve avoided ex-demo gear since then -  even if it is genuine.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 677
    £50 is such a crappy discount for ex display! You could probably talk them down £50 even if it was brand new..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes agreed will go new 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    Go New, 100%.
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited July 2020
     Might as well get a 2nd hand one if you want to save money and willing to accept a guitar with blemishes (what ever that means).
    £50 isn't enough of a saving for what is a used guitar.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5125
    No gigging anticipated and I am quite ocd about the condition of my guitars
    /Thread
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom