P Bass on a budget - anything better than squier classic vibe?

What's Hot
PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
Hiya,

Looking to buy my first precision. I'm really a guitar player that likes to dabble with the bass every so often, so looking to spend max £350.

Obvious choice seems to be the 60s classic vibe precision (I'm not keen on maple fretboard). Mexican standards seem to be more like £400 and up used, and I'm not sure if I'd appreciate the difference with the squier (but I may be wrong).

Any recommendations? Cheers!
Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    There's Vintage too. Don't forget Cort and Yamaha, maybe not the shape but guality at pocketmoney price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    edited July 2020
    I have a Vintage brand P bass. Really good for the money, and you'll see positive comments on here about them if you search through old threads.
    Also, the G&L tribute P bass looks like it could be a good choice too. PJ config opens up a wider range too.
    There's an Orange OR3 I think it's called. It's a P bass, but in a different body. Looks cool, but never played one.
    You could look for a used Squier but I'd recommend the Vintage. Decent hardware and the stock pickup isn't too shabby either. They're pretty cheap to buy new at the moment.
    I have mine strung with flatwounds, but had roundwounds on it, and both sound pretty good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Damn completely forgot about Vintage. Thanks guys
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    The Vintage will be significantly worse than a decent-range Squier.

You *can* get Mex p-basses for £300 on eBay if you shop around. Otherwise, Squier CV, or a used G&L would probably be the best bet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Cort and Yamaha
    The Cort GB series is built in the same factory as the Squier CV.

The Yamaha Attitude Plus or Standard are worth seeing out. Counterintuitively, the Plus was the bottom of the range. With a high mass bridge and a professional quality pickup, it is every bit as good as an MIM Fender.

Sire makes a P7. Andertons was discounting some of these to around £350. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    There's a Classic Vibe P bass with Indian Laurel fretboard for sale in the classifieds.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/185069/fs-squier-classic-vibe-p-bass#latest
    mbe said:
    There's a Classic Vibe P bass with Indian Laurel fretboard for sale in the classifieds.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/185069/fs-squier-classic-vibe-p-bass#latest

Yup, no response to my offer so assuming that's a no-go
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    Also, with the Squiers it's easier to change parts, necks etc than it would be with the Vintage as I found out! Still though, Vintage is fine for a budget p bass.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5724
    The Vintage will be significantly worse than a decent-range Squier.......
    It really won’t be. I know Vintage were just another cheap knockoff brand, built down to the lowest price point but that’s not at all what they are now. The Guitars I’ve played (and own) from the current Vintage lineup have all been very well made, solid instruments with better hardware than you get with a Squier. If there is a Vintage that takes your fancy, I’d say it’ll probably be a little superior to a Squier. 

That said, I’m looking for a bass myself right now and there is nothing from Vintage that tempts me at all. I’m also a huge fan of what Squier do and they seem to have some fabulous offerings at the £300ish price point. 

The only other place that might be worth you looking at is The Bass Centre. Pushing your budget a bit at around £395 but very well regarded

http://www.basscentre.com/bass-collection.html
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers mate - yeah I had a look at Vintage and ultimately I decided to pull the trigger on the Squier Classic Vibe. Specs were much of a muchness so went with the one that looked better to me, as fickle as that might sound :)

Bought new so I can have a chance to send it back if it doesn't float my boat (and also the used prices are a bit punchy I find, not sure I want to pay 70-80% of new without the peace of mind that goes with it...).

These Bass Centre ones look mighty fine, I must say
    dazzajl said:

Went for the 60s P Bass in olympic white. Had a vintage modified 70s jazz bass previously, stonking value for money. If the classic vibe is as well put together (which I wouldn't be surprised by, as for all intents and purposes the new Classic Vibes seem to be a continuation of that Indonesia-made line), I'll be a very happy camper. Will report back
    I’ll wager it’ll be excellent. I’ve yet to play a Squier of any sort I didn’t like. 
    Was delivered half an hour ago, as it turns out... :) And yes, I can confirm quality is there (certainly if bass isn't your main instrument).

- very sound setup right out of the box (and I highly doubt GAK ever opened that box in the first place). Everything as per specs, even the intonation is spot on.
    - all fretwork tidy, no buzzing.
    - sounds good
    - plays very well
    - looks great. Seriously impressive finish.
    - laurel fretboard is a bit meh, as expected. Perhaps a bit of oil will do it some good, will check once the flatwounds go on later today

For £320, hard to beat, I would say.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    dazzajl said:
    The Vintage will be significantly worse than a decent-range Squier.......
    It really won’t be. I know Vintage were just another cheap knockoff brand, built down to the lowest price point but that’s not at all what they are now. The Guitars I’ve played (and own) from the current Vintage lineup have all been very well made, solid instruments with better hardware than you get with a Squier. If there is a Vintage that takes your fancy, I’d say it’ll probably be a little superior to a Squier. 

That said, I’m looking for a bass myself right now and there is nothing from Vintage that tempts me at all. I’m also a huge fan of what Squier do and they seem to have some fabulous offerings at the £300ish price point. 

The only other place that might be worth you looking at is The Bass Centre. Pushing your budget a bit at around £395 but very well regarded

http://www.basscentre.com/bass-collection.html
    I was looking at Jazz basses with my son last year and the Vintage was more than equal to the Squiers and easily better build than the MIM Fender they had in stock. I’ll admit the logo does make me wince slightly and the older ones weren’t necessarily great but they represent good value for money. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sexiness... Now, where is that thumb rest... :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    shame they can't get nicer-looking laurel. do they not even have the old-style tugbar thumbrest?
    That looks fabulous @PonchoGreg ;

Hope you really enjoy it. 
    bbill335 said:
    shame they can't get nicer-looking laurel. do they not even have the old-style tugbar thumbrest?

to be fair, the grain isn't unattractive at all, I must say. It also feels pretty good under the fingers. Just a bit pale. Will be curious to see if oil does anything but I can certainly live with it.
    bbill335 said:

to be fair, the grain isn't unattractive at all, I must say. It also feels pretty good under the fingers. Just a bit pale. Will be curious to see if oil does anything but I can certainly live with it.
    I’m normally a fan of either maple or very dark fingerboards but I think the lighter reddy/brown tones you have there suit the torty gaurd really nicely. 

I often have an issue with fender stable guitars because they have too many colours going on. The body, guard, fingerboard and head all being wildly different can look awful.