Beginner help - Notes or rhythm or notes

What's Hot
lapua65lapua65 Frets: 42
I am trying to perfect a simple three chord pattern that for me would be the fastest tempo to date. I can get there if I play very slowly or quicker with bum notes. Do I keep the rhythm and tempo or practice with clear notes to improve?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited July 2020
    Fast as possible. Accuracy will come for free in time. If it sounds bad, call it punk. If it sounds shit, call it jazz. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4084
    Practice it slower, but every now and then try it a bit faster just for a while to feel what it’s like .

i used to say if playing along to a song just try one strum for each bar to begin with so you have loads of time to prepare for the change to the next chord and time to fret the chords properly , the more you do it you will be able to add in an extra strum until you are playing along at full pace, it should also help with timing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 655
    Have a look at the Justinguitar beginners course, where he goes through his "one minute chord changes" exercise. It works!
  • DoodlegameDoodlegame Frets: 28
    viz said:
    Fast as possible. Accuracy will come for free in time. If it sounds bad, call it punk. If it sounds shit, call it jazz. 
    Hey, it doesn't sound shit, its just a C11sus4(#5,b9)!!!
    I really like this chord now, hehe
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited July 2020
    That’s a Dbmaj7 (3rd inv)! Lush. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    That’s a Dbmaj7 (3rd inv)! Lush. 
    Yup, the Bb would make it a Dbmaj7add6 too, v nice, I wanna use this for something now!
  • stratcatstratcat Frets: 46
    The old fashioned way was practice it slower and then speed it up. I've done it myself, but new thinking and the way I now teach it is rhythm first. It is now understood that we actually 'achieve' better if we get the overall shape correct first, not the actual accuracy. 
    I now, very much focus on accuracy of timing and rhythm, rather than correct notes, and I can tell you it has had huge positive impact on all my students.