I am going to say it now, the best selling toy in 2020 is going to be the NES

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I got the lego tumbler a few years ago to put in the cupboard. In hindsight I shouldn't have taken my son with me to buy it, because he was less than amused when I said we weren't ever going to make it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11808
    DefaultM said:
    I got the lego tumbler a few years ago to put in the cupboard. In hindsight I shouldn't have taken my son with me to buy it, because he was less than amused when I said we weren't ever going to make it.
    Mine sat around gathering dust and got bits taken off here and there so I’ve half broken it into pieces and boxed it up for now...I can’t even find the manual, good thing Lego has an app with all the manuals on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26750
    Just popped into my local Lego store and they had a bunch of both the NES and the Piano. Wondering if I ought to buy one of each to sell next time i'm in the UK..!
    Their prices will go up when they are discontinued, but that’s when that happens, it’s quite a large box to take up in your luggage too!
    Yeah, a little ridiculous. The piano is even bigger than the NES! 

Im tempted to get one and build it for the fun then it’s discontinued. I still fancy the ‘89 Batmobile too...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DefaultM said:
    Why ever not?! 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I got it to see how much it appreciated by. Think I paid £160 and they're going for £310 on ebay at the minute. Though now I see them again I really would like it on display.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Am I missing something here....? Is it 'just' a LEGO set? As in, you cannot actually use it as a NES?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    Am I missing something here....? Is it 'just' a LEGO set? As in, you cannot actually use it as a NES?
    Yes, it's a Lego set.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

DefaultM said:
    I got it to see how much it appreciated by. Think I paid £160 and they're going for £310 on ebay at the minute. Though now I see them again I really would like it on display.

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    £210! That’s a joke right?
    £210! That’s a joke right?
    Yup, it's actually £209.99.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Kinda pricey to be the best selling toy in what is shaping up to be a big depression.
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    NES is a great set but I won't be buying it. I almost exclusively buy space related LEGO sets these days although I still buy system bricks because they are more fun and true to the ethos of LEGO in my opinion. 

There's LEGO in virtually every room in the house. 

(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Where is the International Space Station?!
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    Where is the International Space Station?!
    That's a good question. The ISS was to be my next purchase back in March, then lockdown hit.
    I'm self employed and my industry hasn't started up yet so buying Lego hasn't been high on priorities. 

Coincidentally, I did consider buying the Tumbler. I have a 1966 first edition Corgi Batmobile that would look great alongside it. It's a lovely piece. 
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited August 2020
    Lego is amazing stuff, some of the sets designed for display are genuinely beautiful, they way they use bricks to make the shapes. I really fancy the Harley one to go on a shelf in my guitar room and my wife would love the Disney castle.

As a toy for kids, Lego is unbeatable value because it's always there, it doesn't break (the individual pieces I mean), a 4 year old will happily build simple things all day while a young teen can make something spectacular out of the same bricks.

I have an 18 year old son, he started his Lego life using Lego my mother had kept from when I was a child, and now my 9 year old plays with that same Lego from my childhood, Lego from his brother and of course sets of his own. They are all compatible with each other and always will be. 

Lego is just beautiful.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26750
    underdog said:
    Lego is amazing stuff, some of the sets designed for display are genuinely beautiful, they way they use bricks to make the shapes. I really fancy the Harley one to go in a shelf in my guitar room and my wife would love the Disney castle.

As a toy for kids, Lego is unbearable value because it's always there, it doesn't break (the individual pieces I mean), a 4 year old will happily build simple things all day while a young teen can make something spectacular out of the same bricks.

I have an 18 year old son, he started his Lego life using Lego my mother had kept from when I was a child, and now my 9 year old plays with that same Lego from my childhood, Lego from his brother and of course sets of his own. They are all compatible with each other and always will be. 

Lego is just beautiful.
    Yep. I still have all of mine from when I was a kid in my parents' loft, and it's great knowing that it's all there if & when we have kids.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Coming back to this, despite my earlier post I can only recommend having absolutely nothing to do with ordering from lego.com, they have some of the worst customer service I've ever encountered.

Long story short, to either cancel or return an item (or if you have any other problem) you need to contact their customer services, and doing that requires you to either email them and wait 9 days (!!) for a response or spend an hour on the phone on hold. I've also just discovered that an item I ordered four months ago which was "on backorder" has now been discontinued and I will presumably never get one. This is despite me asking them for an update only a few weeks ago. Should have bought one from another retailer.

Basically, avoid with extreme prejudice. Order from Amazon or somewhere instead. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Lego have always been known for and provided good customer service. I would imagine that they, like almost everyone else, have just gone through the most unanticipated and unprepared for difficult period of providing customer service for their online store ever known.

The company I work for has gone through an horrific 6 months in customer service, where every system and process has either severely creaked or broken. We've decamped every employee from office to home, coped with massive online demand and virtually all stores closing. At one point our weekly contact average went from 20k to 120k.

There is no way a company can just absorb that and once the backlog builds you are screwed for weeks. We had to employ 100 extra staff and close or reduce live channels.

9 days wait for email or 1 hour hold is not so bad at this current time where providing customer service at all has never been so difficult.

It might be frustrating for the the consumer but some patience and understanding of the situation is needed.
  • According to their online reviews, they are not renowned for their customer service at all.

Context - I bought something from lego.com as a present for someone. After ordering but before shipping I found out they already have it. So I tried to cancel - only you can't cancel an order yourself via the website. You can log in, you can see your order status, but you can't cancel it. 

So I emailed them as per their suggestion, a full week later I got a response saying "we'll TRY to cancel it for you " and three days after that it shipped anyway. 

So now it arrives, and I have to return it (to Belgium, by the way). The only way to get a returns label is to... phone them or email them. This time I phoned (lesson learned) and sat on hold for an hour. They agree to send me a returns label via email, which I have to wait approx 24 hours for it to hit my inbox. (PS, lego only operate with one courier, they won't let you choose another and the courier won't pick up from you - so if there's no depot near you you're pretty fucked).

I totally get your point about Covid, but it's 2020. I've been buying stuff on the internet for more than twenty years. The idea that I have to phone a busy helpline for something as basic as cancelling and returning an item is utterly ludicrous: lego don't need extra customer service operatives, they need a website that is fit for purpose in the internet age. Contrast with Adidas, who include a pre-paid self-adhesive returns label with every order, so all you have to do is close the box up, tick a box on a form, stick on a label and take it to a post office. Lego are failing massively here. 

Similar experience at legoland last year. We had a phenomenal holiday and the kids loved it but it was obvious walking round the park that Lego's management are stuck in the 1990s. Food options are pathetic, choice is straight out of a 90s canteen, allergy information almost impossible to find.

I absolutely love Lego, the toy. But the company themselves seem utterly useless and that makes me sad.