Is this a homemade Marshall cabinet? [photos added]

What's Hot
pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
edited August 2020 in Amps
I came across this locally:

https://imgur.com/xhFvmIr
https://imgur.com/OBWiFCU
https://imgur.com/xhFvmIr

He says there's no codes visible on the speaker chassis or cones, but they remind me of some solid state stuff Marshall produced around the early 'Eighties. The badge on the front implies 'Sixties, but the wood looks more like MDF. And I think I see something with a barcode in there.

Is this a homemade cab with speakers pulled from a combo?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4485
    It's a private Facebook group.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited August 2020
    Original post edited to include screen captures.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Iirc an upright slant from the 60s or 70s never existed. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    2x12 that is. 
  • lukedlb said:
    Iirc an upright slant from the 60s or 70s never existed. 
    That's what I thought. The PA cabs always looked straight. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    edited August 2020
    Particle-board shell and MDF baffle by the look of it - it's a DIY special, although it's actually built quite accurately and well. (Apart from apparently having particle-board battens). Also the baffle screws are modern black Chinese ones not mild steel woodscrews.

The speakers are from a late 70s or very early 80s combo, probably a 2103 - the labels are also the same as the ones in a Club & Country, although they were always red-framed McKenzies as far as I know.

2103 with original speakers...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DIY effort in my opinion. Looks like mdf cab body? Wooden supports at the corner joints are not something Marshall tend to do. Also that grill cloth has not been cut neatly enough to have left the Marshall factory that way. Pretty sure those speakers are Mckenzie's. Screws are not very Marshall like either.

Unless it's something more recent from their cheaper lines.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like its worth giving it a miss.

The writing on the speakers reminds me of the "Master Lead Combo" with the black faceplate that keeps cropping up for sale locally were the seller(s) maintain are 100 watters from the 'Sixties based on serial numbers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241

The writing on the speakers reminds me of the "Master Lead Combo" with the black faceplate that keeps cropping up for sale locally were the seller(s) maintain are 100 watters from the 'Sixties based on serial numbers.
    There are no 100W speakers from the 1960s :) - apart from the JBL D130, and even that's pushing it.

As Bygone_Tones said, these are almost certainly McKenzies - the red-frame ones used in the Club & Country combos definitely are, and these look more or less the same apart from the colour. If so they're rated for 85W each. The only other speakers with similar frames are Fanes, and I don't think Marshall ever used them.

The script on the back is indeed the same as on the Master Lead Combo speakers, although those are much lower-rated.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein