Is there a band that you have followed forever and still love?

What's Hot

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3137
    edited August 2020
    Radiohead 
    Bell x1
    The National
    Ocean Colour Scene 

I appreciate that’s a strange mix, I just love these bands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pearl Jam
    Rush
    U2

Those are the mainstays in my musical world. I always keep an eye out for them in the press, see them as live as much as I can (or could with Rush). I have loads of other bands I go through phases with, like I have really got back into Metallica since they have been doing 'Metallica Mondays' over lockdown, but their last album and the release of it passed me by. Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree are the same, I seemed to gloss over the last PT album but have loved everything SW has released since.
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    The one the immediately came to mind is Pearl Jam.

I was a bit of an outlier in school in that I was way more into the American grunge scene at school in the 90s, when everyone else was banging on about the Britpop scene and the Oasis/Blur rivalry. Pearl Jam are the one band from that era that have been churning out quality albums and tours ever since, and still going strong. They've been a mainstay in my tape decks/CD players/MP3 players ever since!
    Same.

Grunge predated Britpop by a few years, and I found it so disheartening to see people who until around 94/95 were spinning Superunknown in their In Utero t-shirts and just getting into discovering bands like Sonic Youth and Pixies and Primus and Nine Inch Nails, all of a sudden sack it all off and start spaffing themselves to the Gallaghers' turgid, derivative wank - and then of course techno, because the same people were soon to be found waving glowsticks in a tent off their tits on E. A lot of my friends became overnight party arseholes in the 90s.

Pearl Jam are amazing, and what I've found over the years is that whenever you find someone who really doesn't like them, their objection is always that Vedder & Co. seem to be too earnest. Like it's a bad thing to take what you do seriously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Pearl Jam are amazing, and what I've found over the years is that whenever you find someone who really doesn't like them, their objection is always that Vedder & Co. seem to be too earnest. Like it's a bad thing to take what you do seriously.
    I just find them immensely, mind-numbingly dull. I've really tried to like them several times, motivated by Neil Young's Mirror Ball album which I love and which (you'll know) they're the band on... but without him I just can't force myself to be interested. Sorry!

Actually, that reminds me -

Neil Young

I don't love everything he's ever done, and there are even a few albums I don't really like, but he's been consistently inconsistent for fifty years and I always find it's worth listening to whatever he's done this time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    There’s only three bands I buy everything they release:

AC/DC. Patchy in later years but even then I live in hope of another SUL (which was an awesome late career high point IMO).

Chuck Prophet. Songwriting legend, live entertainer par excellence. Some patchy periods but always a gem or two per album and he rips on guitar.

Mark Lanegan. Prefer it when he’s rocking out and the last few albums have been a bit disappointing, I’d gladly have no more Duke whatsisname but the voice...
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Thin White Rope absolutely fit that profile for me.  (And, for an individual artist, Stevie Ray Vaughan)

Close, but not quite so perennial (not as much airplay these days) -

The Replacements 
    Husker Du
    The Clash 
    Sex Pistols 
    Dinosaur Jr
    New Order
    Iggy & The Stooges

• ICBM said:

Actually, that reminds me -

Neil Young

I don't love everything he's ever done, and there are even a few albums I don't really like, but he's been consistently inconsistent for fifty years and I always find it's worth listening to whatever he's done this time.
    Spot on.He hasn’t changed still does plenty of bad stuff,but also some great .He leaves plenty of choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Stones. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited August 2020

The first band that sprang to mind would've been Rush, but they are sadly no more.  Probably the only band I followed for 40 years who were as good at the end as they were in the beginning, and anywhere in between.  And hardly ever a duff album.

A couple of others who I still think of as "new" bands - Clutch, Winger (there's a contrast).

Bob Mould - I have hardly any of the Husker Du albums, but I have all his solo material and the Sugar albums.  I don't listen to them very often, though.

There are a few others who are still going and I buy their new albums, although they're not a patch on the classic material - Wishbone Ash, Robin Trower, Scorpions, Kansas, AC/DC.  I'll include Iron Maiden in this list, although in fact they are still not far off their best. 

Then there are some who I followed for a long, long time but reached a point where I just couldn't stand their new stuff - Aerosmith, Metallica, Megadeth.  I'd reluctantly have to include King's X here as well - I loved and still love their early albums so, so much but somehow the magic just dwindled away.

I like a lot of new bands as well but most have only released a handful of albums so to my mind they don't really count, yet.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    The only band I can think of that I've loved since I was I was a teenager, never stopped loving them and genuinely loved every record is Cocteau Twins. There are plenty of other bands that I still love, but only liked their records up to a certain point (REM, The Cure, Bowie, etc) but the Cocteaus are unique in that respect. Of course, they split in '97, but nine albums and a bunch of EPs is pretty good going.

The only other band that could compare is Boards Of Canada, but I didn't get into them until 1998, some fourteen years after I discovered the Cocteaus.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Wilco. 
    Brilliant band and I've never felt more of a warmth between a band and their fans as I have at their gigs.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Toto
    It Bites
    Steely Dan
    Francis Dunnery
    and in more recent times Steven Wilson.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Weather Report.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Faith No More
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Can only think of two bands I’ve been fanatical about from my younger days of discovering them, going back in time on their back catalog and then growing forwards with them.

REM
    Steely Dan

Couldnt be more different really but discovered both in my very early teens and both informed a different side to my musical tastes, a muso side and a more indie side.
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 168
    King Crimson, led by the extraordinary Robert Fripp. Discovered them at University, loved them ever since and have since introduced them to my sons, one of whom is also a big fan. He now seems to spend most of his time making YouTube videos of him and Toya running round the garden in bumblebee suits. Their music has always been innovative, so it’s difficult to get bored. Perhaps a state of permanent bemusement is the best way to describe being a fan.
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited August 2020
    Half Man Half Biscuit:
    The cleverest, most relevant band Britain has ever produced.
    Great live too. 

Here & Now:
    Best live band I've ever seen and the catalyst for many unrepeatable (in both senses), amazing experiences.

Hawkwind:
    So many wonderful gigs. So many terrible ones too, but the recent 50th Anniversary do at the new Albert Hall in Manchester was one of those unforgettable nights......
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited August 2020
    Rachmaninov
    Schubert
    Tchaikovsky
    Steve Vai
    Duran Duran
    New Model Army
    The Damned
    Bach
    The Cult
    and Rainbow

Think I’ll always love them
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Maiden since 82.

The blaze albums are patchy but...
    Trouble 
    Still love early Metallica but dont bother with anything in the last 30 years 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Reverend said:

Trouble 

Oh gosh, how did I forget Trouble?  Although I'm not sure if I liked the last album with Kyle Thomas and I'm also not sure if they're still a going concern.