Phil Robinson Phuzz

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
I have been banging on about this Fuzzface for a while now. Honestly, I believe it’s the best I’ve tried and I have tried out a lot of them. 

Absolutely they are worth a look if you are in the market for a fuzzface. I directly A/B tasted it against a Sunface and kingtone fuzz and to me the Phuzz has a better tone, much better clean up and it is good to go anywhere in the pedal set up.

This is the Gilmourish.com review put out today

https://youtu.be/O6aIr2239RY
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Funny you mentioned this, I was going to bring this up at some point! I also love the choice of knobs!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • tomb11112tomb11112 Frets: 4
    edited August 2020
    I've known Phil for many years and know how long he was working on this.

I remember trying one of his prototypes and shortly after selling my analogman BC109.
    I asked Phil to tweak one slightly for me with BC108c transistors - slightly higher gain and a tad brighter than the stock BC108b's he uses.

The reason is I use a vintage HiWatt SA212 combo. Compared to the Hiwatt and HiTone eclipse cab Phil uses my combo is very smooth - whereas the speakers in the Eclipse cab are very bright and detailed.

I've had it for a few weeks now and must say it works great.

This is my Floyd "Early Years" board - and the Phuzz really nails those DSOTM tones.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 266
    edited August 2020
    How would i find out more about the Phuzz? Does he have a website?
  • How would i find out more about the Phuzz? Does he have a website?
    https://www.philrobinsonfxpedals.co.uk/
    Thanks. Need to sharpen my Google skills. Couldn't seem to find that when I searched
  • Thanks. Need to sharpen my Google skills. Couldn't seem to find that when I searched
    I think as it's a new site it hasn't had much time to get noticed. Is that how google works??? I don't know?!?!
    What I do know is that this is a great little fuzz. Phil's added circuitry that basically means it will work with any pedals behind it. Normal fuzz faces are pretty sensitive as to what they go in to.
    I can switch in my LD3 buffer (placed after the Phuzz) and the Phuzz will not change in tone. Try that with any other FF style pedal and I bet you there's a difference!
    Thanks that's interesting about working with buffers. Can it go after pedals with buffers too? (and still do the clean up thing?)

I feel in the mood for buying a fuzz I think and seeing Bjorn's demos caught my attention. But this one might be a little beyond my allocated budget though. Was looking at the MXR classic which has a switchable buffer and the same 108 transistors
    Cool pedal board btw. I really want to try a power booster at some point too
  • I'm a member of the Gilmour Gear Forum and a member there (Kit Rae) has placed his in the middle of his chain with great results.
    I must admit I've not tried this myself as I designed my rig to have the Phuzz first in line.
    This isn't the cheapest pedal - but I don't think you'd be disappointed. (Yes - I know Phil - but I bought my unit (full price) and would not recommend if it wasn't up to standard! I certainly don't get any kickback from it.)

Thank you very much. The powerboost is a great pedal - but unless you live in the middle of nowhere the MMV (or similar) is essential - otherwise you will be getting noise complaints from neighbouring counties!
  • philrob1philrob1 Frets: 21
    edited August 2020
    Thanks that's interesting about working with buffers. Can it go after pedals with buffers too? (and still do the clean up thing?)

I feel in the mood for buying a fuzz I think and seeing Bjorn's demos caught my attention. But this one might be a little beyond my allocated budget though. Was looking at the MXR classic which has a switchable buffer and the same 108 transistors
    Hi there, just to answer this question...

There is a small amount of series resistance on the input of the Silicon Phuzz, so you can run a buffer before it and it will still sound (in my opinion), really great. The trick is to back down the "Phuzz" control as so not to overload the input of the circuit, which will make the sound quite "gated" on the initial pick attack. And yes, it will clean up with rolling off the guitar volume with a buffer beforehand, as the Phuzz circuit is seeing a fixed output load.

These clips were with a Silicon Phuzz with a buffer beforehand:

http://www.kitrae.net/music/MP3/Echoes%20Funky%20Part_PhilPhuzz_FF_AS_Reevs_Eclipse.mp3

http://www.kitrae.net/music/MP3/Time%20Solo_PhilPhuzz_FF_AS_Reeves_Eclipse.mp3

I am still in the development stages of my website, however now I am (at least in Google), appearing at the top under the search of "Phil Robinson Phuzz"

I am happy to explain further, if you wish, the exact differences, and the they effect have, of my Silicon Phuzz via email at:

Philrobinsonfxpedals@outlook.com
    Hey @philrob1 Thanks for they info. The clips sound great and it seems you've done your homework on the design. I wouldn't know what more questions to ask. Someone said it may appear on TPS soon... hope it does - I'll be looking forward to it!
  • philrob1philrob1 Frets: 21
    Hey @philrob1 Thanks for they info. The clips sound great and it seems you've done your homework on the design. I wouldn't know what more questions to ask. Someone said it may appear on TPS soon... hope it does - I'll be looking forward to it!
    Hey! No problem, and thanks for your kind words - I am very proud of the finished product, it sounds exactly as I would like a well tuned Silicon FF to sound, with the added benefit you can run buffers after it and the sound won't change. 

Hopefully yes! I saw the pedal I sent them made it onto a board - fingers crossed for a feature soon. 
  • garfygarfy Frets: 143
    edited July 2021
    Resurrecting this thread. I’m a little late to the party but this sounds sublime and the fact it works with a buffer before it is paramount to my board. Can any users please share their thoughts. 

Cheers. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    @garfy i recorded this with mine yesterday. It’s such a great fuzz

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRt3A3snTOY/?utm_medium=copy_link

• garfygarfy Frets: 143
    shaunm said:
    @garfy i recorded this with mine yesterday. It’s such a great fuzz

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRt3A3snTOY/?utm_medium=copy_link

Just what im looking for, cheers for the link. One Phuzz in coming  =)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Good man @garfy ;
  • AornicAornic Frets: 474
    edited October 2021
    I bought one used off of here and I like it so much that I ordered one new last month, should be shipping any day now. I especially like to run it into the Powerboost side of the Green Carrot Effects Comfortably Plum.

• AornicAornic Frets: 474
    Apparently Phil has discontinued both his pedals as of January this year. That's a shame.