RIP Martin Birch

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
edited August 2020 in Tributes
Produced or engineered many the greatest records of all time. Farewell to the  headmaster
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Those first load of maiden albums, Amazing! Sad indeed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    It might not be acceptable to say but I love Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules - no Ozzy but those albums like with the first 2 Maiden albums have a fantastic sound to them, there's a great energy to them in the guitar & drum sounds that drives the music and make them a lot of fun to listen to and I'd say those 4 albums were some of the ones I listened to more in the last 12 months than most others.

Even though I'm not that familiar with a lot of his back catalogue it's clear the guy was a genius and left a huge thumbprint on metal, RIP.
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 123
    Sad news, he worked on some great Iron Maiden records, didn't realise he retired after Fear of the Dark.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    One of the people responsible for making the great music on Deep Purple's "Machine Head" sound so brilliant.

Look at the list of bands whose albums he engineered or produced:
    Fleetwood Mac (the great version)
    Deep Purple
    Rainbow 
    Whitesnake
    Wishbone Ash
    Black Sabbath 
    Iron Maiden
    Jeff Beck
    Groundhogs
    Faces
    Gary Moore 
    Michael Schenker Group

There are many on this forum whose record collections would be significantly smaller without his work.

RIP. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738

This is sad news indeed.  He produced a very high proportion of the albums I was listening to from the late '70s and through the '80s.

Looking at the selected discography on his Wikipedia page, I've got nearly everything they list except the Fleetwood Mac and "other artists" stuff.

He's probably not as well known or respected as he should be.

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    It might not be acceptable to say but I love Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules - no Ozzy but those albums like with the first 2 Maiden albums have a fantastic sound to them, there's a great energy to them in the guitar & drum sounds that drives the music and make them a lot of fun to listen to and I'd say those 4 albums were some of the ones I listened to more in the last 12 months than most others.

Even though I'm not that familiar with a lot of his back catalogue it's clear the guy was a genius and left a huge thumbprint on metal, RIP.
    Mate, it'a MORE than acceptable to say that about H/H and M/R. Brilliant albums which had quite a different feel to the Ozzy era stuff, thanks in large part to the Martin Birch production. 

Sad day. Great producer. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    It might not be acceptable to say but I love Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules

Indeed, I could be wrong but I think most Black Sabbath fans would hold those two albums up with the best of the Ozzy material.

Now if you'd said Dehumanizer, I'd disagree - but Martin Birch had nothing to do with that one!

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    edited August 2020
    R.I.P. to the man from De Lane Lea.
    His early productions in that tiny studio had a particular sound which I learned to recognise; very distinct. Peter Green's "End Of The Game", Beck's "Beckola" are 2 examples.
    Many years later one of my guitar pupils asked me to work out songs from Iron Maiden's "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and I was amazed to see Martin Birch produced it. 
    I don't think the guy EVER made a bad-sounding record.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Now he was a great man!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    Sad news indeed. Given his resume, though, I imagine he had a great life working with all of those bands. RIP.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Sad Day!!!

I recognised the name from this article straight away, and thought, oh no!! :-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8612969/Martin-Birch-Tributes-paid-genius-music-producer-worked-Iron-Maiden-Black-Sabbath.html

Do read the comments about the great man. 

RIP.