https://youtu.be/Sdoz16LRz9Q

Whaddya reckon guys ?      
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    Smells like clickbait.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Go forward into the video to about 12:00 or 13:00  ive been doing some of it this afternoon , but am holding pick with middle finger at mo as index is infected .  He constantly says you will suck if you don’t do this etc lol :) 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    He is a proper disciplinarian, I've seen some of his vids. I suppose he doesn't take any shit and will know whether a pupil wants to become a proficient player or not. He would have booted me out after a couple of months  :3
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I started playing in 1974 when there were no books, no teachers (not for rock and blues anyway) and no instructional videos. Everyone made their own way by picking stuff up from friends, copying stuff from records as best they could and just trying random stuff to see what worked. As a result, everyone sounded a little different from one another and - we had a lot of fun. If I'd been told I needed to follow all this guys routines for hours every day for years I'd have taken up fishing. I studied classical piano from age 6 - 13 and it was the requirement to play scales and arpeggios for hours every day that made me quit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn't know he had died , just found out this week that  he passed away a couple of months ago.
    RIP to a  Legend of guitar tuition, he truly loved what he was doing and didn't suffer fools gladly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7163
    edited April 2022
    He might well have been a very good guitar teacher, but I generally don't warm to people that make sweeping assumptions about other people and ridicule them.  I was tempted to click the stop button immediately he put on the patronising beavis and butthead voice near the start to describe people asking the simple question "what should I be practising?", but I persevered through his routine right up until he made the generalisation "you grew up in an era of instant gratification" and then went on to point at the screen and repeat "you suck" (because you don't do these practice routines).

Some of us didn't and still don't have 4 hours a day to do practice routines before actually trying to make music with the guitar.  There is no doubt that doing any monotonous repetitive patterns or movements will make you a lot better at activities that rely on dexterity, consistency and muscle memory like golf, tennis, snooker, swimming, running, and playing any musical instrument, but there are nevertheless many people that don't have half a day every day to perform those repetitious patterns that don't suck.

It's certainly a whole lot easier to enjoy something after you start getting better at doing it, but even 2 or 3 hours of that daily would have sucked any enjoyment out of playing the guitar for me, especially while being continually told that I sucked if I didn't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDL,    Pebber's comments had to be seen in the context of his tongue in cheek personality,  he was an extremely serious guy, absolutely dedicated to teaching  and didn't have time for people who didn't see it like he did, that didn't make him everyone's cup of tea but I, for one, have had enough of the Youtube fly by nights out to make  a few quid on something that is just another business model for them,  Music WAS Pebber's life.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7163
    edited May 2022
    You are absolutely right @Scottishguy , when playing and teaching guitar provides somebody with their sole income they need to live and breathe guitar playing.  Similarly when somebody decides that the time is right to make a go of playing guitar seriously they have to decide what is the best way to achieve the results.  The obvious choice is somebody that can push you forward in a disciplined and structured way.  I don't follow his YouTube channel, but I once happened upon a couple of videos by Mike Gairinsin - Art of the Guitar in which he spoke about why people tend to give up playing and why some succeed.  He described the certain kinds of students that came to him for lessons and had either practiced the content he left them with at the end of the previous lesson or arrived with excuses about not aving had the time to do so.  Given that he was younger and was going to be paid anyway he went through the motions with the ones that he felt were probably never going to improve and probably give up.  If you are successful enough as a tutor and have a wide enough word of mouth reputation (as Pebber Brown no doubt was and had), there would be a lot more reputation at stake in turning out half-baked players to bandy your name around and sully it, and he would no doubt have discontinued the lessons for those who weren't prepared to put in the time and effort.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    What a dick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 533
    You don't have to do what people say there are no rules do it your way and be you. The only thing I would suggest is not to have tunnel vison music wise because we can learn from everything .
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    I wouldn't disagree with his content, but the professional arsehole personality was a stumbling block for many. It's much worse in the intro videos, he mellows a bit if you follow his syllabus.  He was basically right re:Instant gratification being the blocker to the hard work needed.

RIP maestro
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback