What acoustic strings / gauges do you recommend?

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
I changed the stings on my Eastman E2-OM to Ernie Ball Earthwoods and I don't like 'em! I'm not 100% sure what was on there previously - whatever they come with but they were nice - and I appreciate the Earthwoods are relatively new (couple of weeks, played for about an hour every day).

Likely to be very much a taste situation, I know, but any good recommendations - brands and gauges guidance welcomed!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    I think the Eastmans come stock with D'Addario EXP16's, which are their coated Phosphor Bronze strings.

IMO, for any new guitar I'd recommend using the strings you are most familiar with, but if they aren't sounding pleasing to your ears I'd recommend either one of D'Addario's standard set of PB or 80/20 12-53 strings.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    What don't you like about them - too bright and tinny? If so that's a characteristic of 80/20 bronze.

If so try anything phosphor bronze - they sound warmer and fuller. For standard off-the shelf brands I like D'Addarios best - but I am a big fan of Newtone, which are made in the UK by a small company and will do custom gauges and options if you want... although if you're asking for advice on gauges I assume you don't yet have any preferences!

I use the Newtone Masterclass Phosphor Bronze 12-52, they have lower tension than most standard sets of 12s and seem to last a very long time, as well as sounding great out of the packet.

I also like DR Rare, but they're a bit more expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Newtone Masterclass phosphor bronze 12-54 are my strings of choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    edited August 2020
    Thanks chaps. Phosphor Bronze could be the very thing especially if that's what they came with. Definitely prefer a warmer sound. Gauges are a personal preference of course but 12 to 50-something are what I'm used to. I'll check out options as suggested. Cheers. 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited August 2020
    I would suggest you work your way upwards . Start with something like a basic set of  Martins , about £5 .00 . It is possible that they will be OK ,but if not why not ?
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3678
    Newtone 12's or 13's depending on what's in stock. As other's have said great tome out of the packet and they last well
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    I never use anything but D'Addario EJ PB strings. I get through boxes and boxes of 12's and 13's, they are always consistent in terms of performance, feel and tone whichever guitars I am using at the time.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Always found new Eathwoods aren't new for long, they clog up - and the bronze stains your fingers.

I know Elixirs are a bit marmite, but I agree with @MichaelWatts 12s.  D'Addario Gypsy 10s on Maccaferri style though - not as shrill as Argentines or Gallis but last a whole lot longer and keep their tone.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • This is a difficult one because there are many variables, including the chemistry of your own body, I know folks who seem to kill PB strings on contact.

I used to use d'Addario ej17 sets on my  Tak ef360s (non TT) but then I bought an ef341sc which prefers the bluegrass set with a slightly lighter 1/2 but retains the heavier 5/6.

On a Crafter I tried all of them and eventually discovered Nickel Bronze strings which are beautiful to fingerpick but get "clacky" when played hard.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited August 2020
    D'Addario PB 12-53 on spruce tops.

I really like 80/20 bronze on Mahogany tops. (90% Fingerpicking) 
  • As far as gauge is concerned, it depends on the guitar. I use 13's on a drednaught, 11's on a small bodied Martin authentic and 12's on everything else. I usually use Newtone masterclass or John Pearse.
  • I use both Elixir Nanoweb 11s and D'Addario EXP16. I like the coated strings for longevity but I have heard good things about Newtone so if you don't like coated (I don't think they do coated strings?) maybe give them a try. 

• I use the Elixir phosphors too on acoustics, they last ages and have a nice bright tone. Can get that nice jangly strummy sound when doing open chords.
  • I've always used Elixir 80/20s on my Faith Saturn, never really given other materials a thought. How do the phosphor bronze ones differ? 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    As far as gauge is concerned, it depends on the guitar. I use 13's on a drednaught, 11's on a small bodied Martin authentic and 12's on everything else. I usually use Newtone masterclass or John Pearse.

That's true but it's the other way around for me. My dreadnought is best with 12s but I have an ancient parlour guitar that really needs 13s, the difference is surprisingly dramatic.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    I've always used Elixir 80/20s on my Faith Saturn, never really given other materials a thought. How do the phosphor bronze ones differ? 
    Warmer and fuller-sounding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I've always used Elixir 80/20s on my Faith Saturn, never really given other materials a thought. How do the phosphor bronze ones differ? 
    Warmer and fuller-sounding.
    Cheers, will give em a go next string change. 
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    Sorry to barge in, I am trying to make sense of the pricing of coated PB strings. Right now, on Amazon, D'Addario EXP16 strings are £29.99, but Elixir 92/8 PB Nanoweb Lights are £14.30. Last time I bought Elixir strings a few years ago they were more expensive than the D'Addarios, now the D'Addarios are double the price of Elixirs. What am I missing here? Have D'Addario added Unobtainium to their strings?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    I thought the D’Addario EXP were discontinued and replaced by XT?