Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sad .. I saw him play live a few times. Exceptional guitarist - loved his lute playing.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6387
    He had to change technique mid-career to avoid losing use of his fretting hand.  Thumb behind the neck people !

RIP
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    What a talent , one of my fave pieces is william waltons bagatell no 2 , sublime . loved to see both him and john williams on tv in the 70's ... theres a great doco of julian bream and walton will try and link ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sad loss. A great musician.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Probably one of the greatest combinations of musician and luthier I can think with his good friend Jose Luis Romanillos.

I'm hardly an expert or great enthusiast of classical guitar but he's a musician's who repertoire I've been increasingly revisited in recent times, there's something magical about how he played the guitar.

RIP Julian Bream.
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    west said:
    What a talent , one of my fave pieces is william waltons bagatell no 2 , sublime . loved to see both him and john williams on tv in the 70's ... theres a great doco of julian bream and walton will try and link ...

A great example of a phrygian piece! Will add to the collection - thanks!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4909
    Lovely piece, that, @west - hadn't heard it before.

In 1970 I bought his collaboration with John Williams, the one that had "Pavane for a Dead Princess" and one of Falla's "Spanish Dances" - made me realise I was never going to be a classical guitarist!

RIP.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    An immensely talented and also very likeable man. He contributed hugely to the world of classical guitar and brought a lot of pleasure to his audiences.

A real loss. RIP.
    Nitefly said:
    Lovely piece, that, @west - hadn't heard it before.

In 1970 I bought his collaboration with John Williams, the one that had "Pavane for a Dead Princess" and one of Falla's "Spanish Dances" - made me realise I was never going to be a classical guitarist!

RIP.

yes very cool ! william walton wrote 5 ( bagatelle ) pieces for bream you can follow the others from the no 2 vid  if you fancy a listen  ;)  its just that that particular piece 2 is the one that stands out for me ...
    players like bream and williams are in another league as classical performers , the attention to detail is amazing ...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    He was unquestionably the most perfect guitarist from a technical point of view I have ever heard - absolutely flawless in every way - and yet also supremely musical sounding. A very rare talent indeed.

RIP :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

This is astonishing in technique and beauty , great way  to remember him ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Sad news. 

There’s a whole series of ‘Masterclass’ with him teaching younger players on BBC Iplayer right now. 

I don’t know much of his repertoire, but Nocturnes on a theme of John Dowland that Britten wrote for him has long been a favourite piece of music for me. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Redlester said:
    Sad news. 

There’s a whole series of ‘Masterclass’ with him teaching younger players on BBC Iplayer right now. 

I don’t know much of his repertoire, but Nocturnes on a theme of John Dowland that Britten wrote for him has long been a favourite piece of music for me. 
    This ^ re the Masterclass

you watch the student and think, “very good”, and then you listen to Julian’s critique and think “what a git” but then he shows why, and you think “wow”!   To me, he is the exponent of performance and of making his instrument sing, rather than playing the notes .

RIP
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1513
    RIP Julian. Wonderful musician.
    I can not recall seeing him ever reading from a score whilst playing.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    edited August 2020
    Julian Bream was something else. Might have to revisit those BBC Masterclasses in tribute, for inspiration, and just to remind myself what a great player he was. RIP JB.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    my favourite when I was young, far more passion than other players
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    Jalapeno said:
    He had to change technique mid-career to avoid losing use of his fretting hand.  Thumb behind the neck people !

RIP
    I never heard of this
    Please tell me more

I did find this: https://classicalguitarmagazine.com/julian-bream-accident-changed-how-maestro-played-guitar-injuries-recovery-guitar/

• As well as being a great player I always thought Bream was a breath of fresh air in the classical music world 
    which like most art forms can be over populated with prima donnas and big egos. Battersea boy with no airs or graces,
     never lost his South London accent, which raised a few eyebrows, liked a glass of wine and with an eye for a pretty girl.
    There was a biography some years ago after he'd stopped public performing which was fascinating. 'A life on the road' by Tony Palmer. Hard to get hold of now. In it he went into some detail about his arm injury which he'd smashed on a wall driving an open topped sports car after a good lunch!
    His thoughts on guitars was also fascinating.  Bearing in mind that he was was commenting on guitars to give live performances with, he was very much of the opinion that lightly built classical guitars had a performing life and then after 30 years or so lost their projecting power for concert halls.  When he commissioned a guitar from a builder he reckoned it took him 10 years to play it in, it was good then for performing for 20-30- years , and then would lose it's projection though he would still use it for recording etc.  Very much the same thoughts as James Taylor  gave in his interview about acoustic steel string guitars.  A fascinating and talented man.