Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can you find out why you are on someone's "ignore" list?

What's Hot

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    I agree, it would be useful, and interesting to know. The lol/wow/wiz reveal didn't kick off so maybe this wouldn't either, but it could be unfeasible within the forum software. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2525
    Sesh said:
    I agree, it would be useful, and interesting to know. The lol/wow/wiz reveal didn't kick off so maybe this wouldn't either, but it could be unfeasible within the forum software. 
    I think it would be a better system if you were prevented from commenting or selecting frets on members threads that have blocked you. Unless you message the member you have no way of knowing that they have blocked you. If you cannot message a member then surely you should not be allowed to comment or award frets on their threads.

Is this something you would consider @digitalscream et al
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    Sesh said:
    I think it would be a better system if you were prevented from commenting or selecting frets on members threads that have blocked you. Unless you message the member you have no way of knowing that they have blocked you. If you cannot message a member then surely you should not be allowed to comment or award frets on their threads.

No, because we (as modmins) control people's access to the forum and the content held within, not the 15k people who've signed up.
    <space for hire>
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited August 2020
    Sesh said:

Seriously, get over it.
    Someone ignored you, it is a slight annoyance, not a tragedy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Sesh said:
    That didn't happen, because people immediately saw the value of it and decided that it wasn't worth trouble over - that change, counter-intuitively, made it all non-personal.

Being on somebody's ignore list is very personal.

Thing is...the ignore list is, by definition, a one-way thing - it's not a block list. Folk can't PM you if they're on your list, sure, but equally you can't control what they see.

It's "I don't want to see this person's posts", which is perfectly reasonable. I personally object to the idea that somebody could say "Not only do I not want this person to see any of my comments, but they're not allowed to see anybody else's comments on one of my threads either". That could lead to some very nasty situations, where a bunch of folk are pissing and moaning about a member who can't even read the thread, much less respond to it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Sesh said:

Seriously, get over it.
    Who said it was a tragedy? I have commented on this members frequent posts and if I had known he wasn't even listening then I wouldn't have bothered wasting my time.

This is the feedback section of the forum and I am giving some feedback surely you do not have a problem with that?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    I do not think that it is possible to accidentally add anyone to your Ignore List. You either type out the member’s userID in full or select it from a list that the software presents, based on the characters you have typed so far. (Same as when tagging somebody.)

I suppose that it would be possible to select hastily and/or carelessly from the software-generated list. 

I suspect that anyone sufficiently vexed to put another member on such a list would be motivated to select the correct name.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    JJ Funkfingers said:
    I do not think that it is possible to accidentally add anyone to your Ignore List. You either type out the member’s userID in full or select it from a list that the software presents, based on the characters you have typed so far. (Same as when tagging somebody.)

I suppose that it would be possible to select hastily and/or carelessly from the software-generated list. 

I suspect that anyone sufficiently vexed to put another member on such a list would be motivated to select the correct name.
    Not true.

click on any member name. Top right is the ignore button. 
    No typing needed.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    JJ Funkfingers said:

Not true.

click on any member name. Top right is the ignore button. 
    No typing needed.
    I bet we all clicked on @fretmeister s profile to check ;)

Good tip i didn't know about that.  Cheers
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    munckee said:
    You should never have said that stuff about my mum, even if it is true...

I don’t think you can find out. You can pm me their details and I will pm them and see why?
    @lovestrat74 did you take up that offer from @munckee ?  It would save time and effort...

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Think yourselves lucky.

Us modmins have an unwritten rule that we don’t put anyone on ignore - in case we have to read what they have posted and moderate it. 

Ironically the members I’d like to ignore are the ones that need moderating. 

6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Think yourselves lucky.

Us modmins have an unwritten rule that we don’t put anyone on ignore - in case we have to read what they have posted and moderate it. 

Do you have to be moderate to moderate?
    prowla said:
    Think yourselves lucky.

Do you have to be moderate to moderate?
    We try to be, but...well, sometimes it's not easy to avoid an itchy trigger finger ;)
    <space for hire>
    octatonic said:
    Sesh said:

Seriously, get over it.
    Who said it was a tragedy? I have commented on this members frequent posts and if I had known he wasn't even listening then I wouldn't have bothered wasting my time.

This is the feedback section of the forum and I am giving some feedback surely you do not have a problem with that?
    You can do as you wish but consider how a third party would read everything you’ve written above.

fwiw, having people on ignore, doesn’t mean you never see their posts, you just have to click their posts to opt in to see them. It just means that you don’t automatically see them and PMing isn’t possible, which is sometimes preferable.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Sesh said:

Seriously, get over it.

You can do as you wish but consider how a third party would read everything you’ve written above.

fwiw, having people on ignore, doesn’t mean you never see their posts, you just have to click their posts to opt in to see them. It just means that you don’t automatically see them and PMing isn’t possible, which is sometimes preferable.

What would a third party think? it seems to me like a pretty logical suggestion there's nothing I can read from any of the comments that should make anyone think anything weird/unpleasant?
    munckee said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Sesh said:

Seriously, get over it.

What would a third party think? it seems to me like a pretty logical suggestion there's nothing I can read from any of the comments that should make anyone think anything weird/unpleasant?
    Well, the way it reads to me is he is just a tad huffy about being ignored and rather than just shrug it off is trying to suggest refashioning the forum so that the person who did it can't comment on his posts- which isn't going to happen for the reasons Lee outlined.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    munckee said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Sesh said:

Seriously, get over it.

Absolutely agree. Totally reasonable discussion from the OP. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    octatonic said:

Well, the way it reads to me is he is just a tad huffy about being ignored and rather than just shrug it off is trying to suggest refashioning the forum so that the person who did it can't comment on his posts- which isn't going to happen for the reasons Lee outlined.

He isn't though, he's suggesting he not be allowed to comment on their threads so he would know he was blocked.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:
    octatonic said:

He isn't though, he's suggesting he not be allowed to comment on their threads so he would know he was blocked.  

Exactly this, thank you @munckee glad someone out there is has their reading glasses on. I will start a fresh comment and create a scenario so it is clear to even the lowest of IQs...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Hattigol & @munckee clearly get it and appreciate the point I am trying to make...

First and foremost this is the feedback section and that is what this is. Please don't get your backs up and take this in a negative manner. This should be seen as an improvement suggestion, not sour grapes, just a suggestion to make the ignore feature more transparent. 

I could see this turning into one of those "old boys" at the lodge threads, so I'll spell it out before the cloaks start charging.

Names have been changed to protect the innocent...

@MrBlueNose lists much stuff in the classifieds and many NGD threads to boot. @MrRedNose is an regular visitor of tFB and likes to comment and award frets on threads involving gear and doesn't mind the odd transaction in the classifieds to keep the wheels of the "used" market rolling...

@MrBlueNose doesn't particularly like the cut of @
    MrRedNose's jib for whatever reason (turns out he can't even remember so it must have been some really trivial or too many drams one night leading to him hitting the ignore button instead of message by accident - thanks @fretmeister didn't know that myself. Silly place for a contrasting button me thinks... Another suggestion would be to move this button in isolation, but I digress...)

Back to the scenario...

@MrBlueNose has a new NGD thread
    @MrRedNose Likes and shows his appreciation 

@MrBlueNose has a guitar for sale
    @MrRedNose is very interested and fires a few questions...

@MrBlueNose does not respond but does respond to others
    @MrRedNose shrugs it off and think maybe he didn't see his comment amongst all the others and said guitar sells a few weeks later

@MrBlueNose lists an amp
    @MrRedNose awards a Wow and comments as he is looking for one of these and wants to know the year of manufacture

@MrBlueNose sells the amp without responding to @MrRedNose
    @MrRedNose thinks he's been beaten to it 

@MrBlueNose list a pedal 
    @MrRedNose has been looking for this for years, so comments and this time after no response to his question decides to message @MrBlueNose and gets this:

"Unable to create conversation, @MrBlueNose is ignoring you."

So finally @MrRedNose has an understanding as to why his comments have not been registering with @MrBlueNose.

Now if the same or similar message  ("Unable to save comment, @MrBlueNose is ignoring you.") could have popped up when @MrRedNose was commenting on the various posts by @MrBlueNose then this would have saved @MrRedNose the bother of even thinking he could have himself a nice amp/guitar/pedal etc. 

So that is my suggestion. Hope it is clear now... Also would make sense to have the same popup if you try to award frets to members who are ignoring you.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom