So here's the plan for multicam streaming virtual gigs

What's Hot
Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
Having sussed out how to get decent audio quality on a video stream to Facebook Live we've now been working out how to get multi cam footage incorporated into the live stream to make it a bit more interesting and out keys player mentioned a product from Sony that he's involved with and it's very interesting and clever.  Basically it allows multiple cameras (phones or 4G cams ) to  stream to a cloud based central video mixer and the output from that is then available to stream to FB, Youtube etc. One device can be master audio, which will be the one I inject my high quality USB stream fed from our mixing desk into ..  and the rest of the cameras show video from the different angles but their audio is muted .... leading to multi camera angles but a continuous high quality audio. 

Their will be a slight latency difference visually between cameras but in practice it seems not enough to be a problem. As all the devices are at the same gig their 4G latency is similar. The guy mixing the video streams doesn't even have to be in the same country, as it is done via a cloud based Ap he can be sat at home or literally anywhere. 

Here's a brief video on YT explaining roughly how it works. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpcisB6BEyc

Anyone interested in see'ing if we can pull this off live this Saturday can watch on https://www.facebook.com/events/745575782948430/

Have to say, once 5G really kicks in this is going to be a game changer for broadcasting live gigs 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Would a blackmagic ATEM mini provide an easier solution with zero latency?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    That's quite cool. Most people are using OBS Studio, which is local rather than cloud-based, for streaming stuff. I've used it for Zoom-based webinars when I'm running demos which need multiple screens, cameras and audio sources.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    lukedlb said:
    Would a blackmagic ATEM mini provide an easier solution with zero latency?
    I'm no expert in this field but the selling point of this software (actually the hire cost which is very high and charged per hour) is the fact no hardware is needed. No HDMI cables, no hardware vision mixer, no nothing basically. There's no need for the guy mixing the video feed to even be at the venue. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Nick67Nick67 Frets: 3
    What time Saturday please?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    That's quite cool. Most people are using OBS Studio, which is local rather than cloud-based, for streaming stuff. I've used it for Zoom-based webinars when I'm running demos which need multiple screens, cameras and audio sources.
    This seems like the most obvious solution, although I suspect the reason he hasn't gone for this is that his solution means the camera control can be done remotely (that can be done with OBS, but it's a less-simple solution).
    <space for hire>
    Nick67 said:
    What time Saturday please?
    8pm mate .... hopefully if all goes to plan. Last week there was a delay when the factory owner couldn't remember the wifi password but we have that now :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Nick67Nick67 Frets: 3
    Really enjoyed your last one. Will sit down with a nice Madras and few beers.
    Well it worked ... we had about 6 mins of down time at one point when the main phone cut out due to being powered over a USB port that only gave out half an amp charge so the phone was using more power than it was receiving .  The drummer camera went off a lot but all the other five camera phone feeds were fine. It certainly makes for more interesting footage than 5 old blokes playing guitars would generally be. 

For anyone interested in how it looks ... the broadcast is here 

https://www.facebook.com/superheroes.rock/videos/1691931117650240/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

Now we have plans to levitate the drum riser while he's  planning for the next broadcast and make the whole show requests 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice work! Just watching it now....wish our band could do something like that....but...y'know....technology, and I haven't got time to sort it out!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    That was pretty awesome..nice space youve got there too
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ