No such thing as a "phantom" LOL...

What's Hot
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but I've never seen it mentioned.  On the other hand I've seen a fair few complaints about "phantom lollers", so I thought I'd share:

If you're on a desktop browser, you can hover your mouse over any fret-count and see the individual user names of the people who Lolled / Wowed / Wiz'd.  It works on anybody's posts, not just your own.

If you appreciate this post, feel free to fret me any way you like - I'll know who you are!!
Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Oh do keep up at the back there pleeeeease...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Well, I'm a fairly casual member here, but had never heard about this before - meanwhile I've seen a lot of comments over time implying that lollers are anonymous!  Was this a recent-ish change then?

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    tFB Trader
    left you a cheeky lol for yesterdays news.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    That's fine - where did I miss it?

Trading feedback here
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    <space for hire>
    ThorpyFX said:
    left you a cheeky lol for yesterdays news.
    This thread needs some fish and chips in the old news paper :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2020
    Thanks!

So I missed a thread that had a three-day lifespan in a forum I rarely look at!  Yeah, I guess I must be out of touch  D

[EDIT]  I meant I rarely look at Off Topic, not TFB as a whole, of course!

Trading feedback here
    Trude said:
    Thanks!

So I missed a thread that had a three-day lifespan in a forum I rarely look at!  Yeah, I guess I must be out of touch  D

[EDIT]  I meant I rarely look at Off Topic, not TFB as a whole, of course!
    It was announced - so if you popped into "discussions" or "recent discussions" you'd have spotted it ;)
    I thought announcements were, you know... Announcements.  Meaning tagged as announcements, and hence pinned at the top of the page?  I never look at "recent discussions".  I may not even have been on the forum at all between the first post and when it dropped off page one of Off Topic.

To give myself some credit, I did poke around the Help & Feedback section before posting looking for an update to see if this was something new.  There are a whole load of other sticky announcements there about various forum changes, but nothing on this.  You'd think that something identified as having the potential to cause arguments (as per the post) should be pinned for visibility!  

Trading feedback here
    Trude said:
    I thought announcements were, you know... Announcements.  Meaning tagged as announcements, and hence pinned at the top of the page?  I never look at "recent discussions".  I may not even have been on the forum at all between the first post and when it dropped off page one of Off Topic.

To give myself some credit, I did poke around the Help & Feedback section before posting looking for an update to see if this was something new.  There are a whole load of other sticky announcements there about various forum changes, but nothing on this.  You'd think that something identified as having the potential to cause arguments (as per the post) should be pinned for visibility!  
    Its not a problem :)

Announcements do stick - but only in their subforum. 
    Trude said:

Yeah, it's a problem - things like this are posted in Off Topic, because that's the part of the forum with the most traffic. Unfortunately, the software doesn't allow us to pin threads in multiple categories.
    <space for hire>
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Have phantom-wowed you. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Yeah, it's a problem - things like this are posted in Off Topic, because that's the part of the forum with the most traffic. Unfortunately, the software doesn't allow us to pin threads in multiple categories.
    Could it not be pinned just in OT, like the announcement about BCD?  Or do you mean it's already pinned somewhere else?

Trading feedback here
  • I lol'd you and I was dressed up as a spooky ghost, so it's still a phantom lol.

Bye!

edited August 2020
    Trude said:

Could it not be pinned just in OT, like the announcement about BCD?  Or do you mean it's already pinned somewhere else?
    Yes - that's exactly what @Bridgehouse said. It was pinned in OT and at the top of Recent Discussions for about a week. I'm saying that we couldn't also pin it in Help & Feedback.
    <space for hire>
    Ah, gotcha.  I clearly blinked and missed it.  

Trading feedback here
    I lol'd you and I was dressed up as a spooky ghost, so it's still a phantom lol.
    Spooky won't cut it I'm afraid.  I only accept phantom lols from sexy ghosts.

Trading feedback here
    edited August 2020
    @digitalscream  ;I guess you've already thought of this, but if you do want to pin a post to more than one subforum, could you not just create a duplicate post with the same original announcement, close it to new replies and include a link to the original post so people can discuss it in that one place if they want to?  Then you can get eyeballs on it in any locations that might make sense.

Trading feedback here
    Trude said:
    @digitalscream  ;I guess you've already thought of this, but if you do want to pin a post to more than one subforum, could you not just create a duplicate post with the same original announcement, close it to new replies and include a link to the original post so people can discuss it in that one place if they want to?  Then you can get eyeballs on it in any locations that might make sense.
    You can, but for the recent discussions viewers they would get multiple copies of the same post!
    You can, but for the recent discussions viewers they would get multiple copies of the same post!
    Only initially though, right?  It wouldn't take long for those closed duplicates to dive down to the lower reaches of the recents list.  Looking at it now, each page of recents seems to account for about an hour's worth of posts.  You don't find anything from yesterday till page 6, and the whole list ends at Aug 5th.  

Trading feedback here