Is a Fan Fret Guitar Right For You?

What's Hot
Hello everyone,

I just uploaded this video taking a detailed look at fan frets which I hope you'll find useful if you're considering one of these rare beasts! BTW The guitar I'm playing is a Casimi C3 - it's pretty special...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOQSkgH5_ok

All the best

Michael 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    edited October 2020
    One of my basses is (Dingwall PZ5) is a fanned fret design. It looks weird, but once in the hands the oddness is forgotten almost immediately. The only time I have to make any conscious adjustment to my playing is when going from a high-up fret on one string to the same fret on a higher-pitched string - it’s then possible to end up 1 fret too high.

A major advantage of fanned frets on a bass is evenness of tone from one string to another.

If anyone thinks fanned frets are a step too far towards weirdness, think again. You don’t even need a different string set.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Great video! That's one expensive guitbox.. Sounds fantastic though - lovely playing, Thanks!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Way beyond my technique and pocket. But interesting!
  • I bought the Ibanez Fan Fret acoustic just to give it a try. Felt much more comfortable paying around £500 for a guitar to satisfy my curiosity.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom