Best clip on tuner for acoustics

What's Hot
Hi all.

I've got a couple of cheap clip on tuners and they're OK but not massively accurate and are flakey on the bottom E string. Who's got a recommendation for me? The Korg Sledgehammer Pro looks good and not hugely expensive (although extremely melodramatically named!)

I'd rather buy something good once than buy something half good first, then have to buy something good later on anyway.

Who uses what and would you recommend it (tuners to steer clear of just as welcome as ones to seek out!)?

Cheers,
Matt

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    TC Polytune on all my guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers. Saw those and they look good but they seem to be out of stock everywhere!
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    edited August 2020
    TC Unitune Clip - best I've ever used. But not available for now. I've two but I'll buy another ASAP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3686
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8702
    Polytune’s what I use
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    I also use a TC Polytune Clip.

Yes, I would recommend it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• My planet waves/D’addario tuner has been really good and doesn’t chew through batteries.
    i bought a boss TU01 clip on A while back and although It’s steady and clear in the tuning department, it seems eat batteries at an alarming  rate.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • I have the TC for my electric, but it’s the one that tunes one string at a time ,
  • Thanks everyone. Typically the runaway winner so far is out of stock everywhere
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2948
    the strobe one, peterson.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Peterson.  Very accurate tuner.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Personally I prefer a soundhole tuner on my acoustic as it's much neater looking and doesn't need to be taken off when putting the guitar in a case. The one I'm using is the D'Addario NS Micro like this...

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    BigMonka said:
    Personally I prefer a soundhole tuner on my acoustic as it's much neater looking and doesn't need to be taken off when putting the guitar in a case. The one I'm using is the D'Addario NS Micro like this...

Same as I use, brilliant piece of kit and very unobtrusive. Won't break the bank either.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    The little daddario one in the sound hole is really nice but watch the finish on your guitar, don’t think they’re great for Nitro. 

But the Peterson strobe is the best I’ve used. Love it. Don’t use all the “sweetness” personally, but super accurate. 

No idea how so many people like the TC though?! 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I have a TC and a Peterson. Both work well; I prefer the Peterson because I like strobe tuners and the sweetened tuning for guitar sounds good to me.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    The TC Unitune is half the price of the Polytune and the Peterson but I found it to be a great wee tuner. I’ve barely heard anyone who has one fault it - especially for the price.  
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2948
    I like the sweetened tunings on acoustic. It's a great little tuner although it always takes me a second to latch my brain onto the strobe direction. Think it tunes my brain for me before I start playing, so if it can do that it must be pretty effective. I used it to tune a violin, I even tried using it to tune my record player (don't ask).

The clamp is an engineering marvel. How on earth it rotates to exacty the place you want it is baffling. To me anyway. I always think I going to snap the arm off but it always falls into place somehow. I like stuff with a bit of character.

Running up against one of those handy to mount snark things, it was way more accurate. They got ditched.

The last bit's always your ears anyway and the strobe is much better for tuning, rather than setting an exact number.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Have tried quite a few and now have the Peterson StroboClip HD. Best one I've owned, for sure. The sweetened tunings are really worth trying.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I've got a D'Addario NS Micro soundhole tuner which is great and very discrete. I've also got a TC Polytune clip on which circulates round all my guitars.

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    I bit the bullet and ordered the Peterson StroboClip last week because, as you mention, the tc is out of stock everywhere. At £50+ it’s not inexpensive but imo worth the money. It’s like playing a new guitar compared to when I’ve used my cheaper clip ons! Well worth the extra investment.