Tele 4 way switching tone capacitor

What's Hot
Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
edited August 2020 in Guitar
What's the best size to use. .022mF .033mF or .047mF. What will be the tonal difference between them? I have all 3 and I'm about to solder one of them in. I'm just bobbing out to the supermarket for some beers so back in 10. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    You mean uF not mF I hope ;).

.047uF - the classic value for single coils with 250K pots
    .022uF - the classic value for humbuckers with 500K pots
    0.33uF - somewhere in the middle :)

The difference is how far down into the midrange the roll-off goes, not how much treble is rolled off - they all roll off the treble.

I find 0.022 too midrangy on a Fender, 0.047 is deeper and softer. .033 might be better if you're going to use the series setting a lot though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    ICBM said:
    You mean uF not mF I hope ;).

.047uF - the classic value for single coils with 250K pots
    .022uF - the classic value for humbuckers with 500K pots
    0.33uF - somewhere in the middle :)

The difference is how far down into the midrange the roll-off goes, not how much treble is rolled off - they all roll off the treble.

I find 0.022 too midrangy on a Fender, 0.047 is deeper and softer. .033 might be better if you're going to use the series setting a lot though.
    To be honest I've never wired a 4 way before so don't know if I'll use the series much. It's a bit of an experiment to see what it's like. Sounds like I'm better sticking with the .047mF. Thanks for the advice @ICBM ;

Ian

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    A few years ago I used to fit a lot of 4-way switches in Telecasters.

Now it's more usual to be asked to take them out.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    The four-way switch feels wrong to anyone raised on the sprung CRL item. Additionally, no matter where the series option occurs among the positions, it always seems wrong. (Force of habit.)

Better solutions are the pairing of a three-way selector switch with a DPDT on/on series/parallel mode switch for the both pickups combination OR the Freeway 3B3 six-way switch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited August 2020
    The four-way switch feels wrong to anyone raised on the sprung CRL item. Additionally, no matter where the series option occurs among the positions, it always seems wrong. (Force of habit.)

Better solutions are the pairing of a three-way selector switch with a DPDT on/on series/parallel mode switch for the both pickups combination OR the Freeway 3B3 six-way switch.
    Sounds better to me. Have you a wring diagram? Presumably you can put the DPDT between the tone and volume pots? Sounds like it might be a squeeze though.

Ian

• @Devil#20 a DPDT will comfortably fit between the Vol and Tone on a Tele, but you could alternatively use a push/pull pot.

The last Tele diagram on the Fralin site shows how to wire it up.  https://www.fralinpickups.com/fralin-wiring-diagrams/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Devil#20 a DPDT will comfortably fit between the Vol and Tone on a Tele, but you could alternatively use a push/pull pot.

The last Tele diagram on the Fralin site shows how to wire it up.  https://www.fralinpickups.com/fralin-wiring-diagrams/
    Useful link that is. 

Ian

• rossirossi Frets: 1741
    edited August 2020
    I have noticed with the 4 way switching that you may need to fiddle with the pick up height .Just depends on your pickups  and their relationship .
  • Devil#20 said:
    Have you a wring diagram? Presumably you can put the DPDT between the tone and volume pots? Sounds like it might be a squeeze though.
    Ye olde Seymour Duncan Tech Tips schematic diagram illustrates a DPDT midway between the control knobs. Unfortunately, a recent website rejig means that I cannot find it.

Series/parallel, three-way lever + DPDT switch. (Tip #12 in this article.) 
    https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/25-fender-telecaster-tips/

Freeway 3B3-01 Scroll down to bottom left hand corner of page. Click on the yellow .pdf Download rollover link.
    https://www.freewayswitch.com/schematics-blade/
    Devil#20 said:
    Have you a wring diagram? Presumably you can put the DPDT between the tone and volume pots? Sounds like it might be a squeeze though.
    Ye olde Seymour Duncan Tech Tips schematic diagram illustrates a DPDT midway between the control knobs. Unfortunately, a recent website rejig means that I cannot find it.

Series/parallel, three-way lever + DPDT switch. (Tip #12 in this article.) 
    https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/25-fender-telecaster-tips/

Freeway 3B3-01 Scroll down to bottom left hand corner of page. Click on the yellow .pdf Download rollover link.
    https://www.freewayswitch.com/schematics-blade/
    Thank for the links. Are the Free Way switches any good?

Ian

• I haven’t had a 3B3-01 long enough to comment on its durability.