FENDER MUSTANG 90...

What's Hot
SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1662

So this is my Fender Mustang 90 - which I absolutely love.

It was a gift from my employer as a long service award, has a lovely neck and plays exceptionally well.....and just feels great (and lets be frank, this isn't particularly high end) !

But, I am going to upgrade the pickups, and been looking at a set of Sonic Sixes from The Creamery (a little brighter than the  MP90s). Jaime has been pretty busy of late, so if for some reason he cannot supply, I will discuss with Oil City.

Here's my question (and its kinda trivial...). I was thinking of going with aged cream rather than black, and also for the toggle switch (might as well replace, as I am already having some issues with the stock Fender). Any thoughts on whether this would look odd, and I should keep to black on all three ? Planning to retain the pickguard as is...

Have to say, the Dakota Red and Pau Ferro work a treat !
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    I do like the look of those. Not sure cream on pearloid would look great in my opinion.
    Congratulations on the long service award. I've been where I am for 20 years now and have never got a thing. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Personally I might try silver/chrome to go with the control plate. Otherwise I like black on red like that...
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1662
    Thank you ! It was quite a nice milestone (though when I started, many of my new colleagues had 20 or 30 years' service - now I am eighth longest serving). Our new recruits seem to move around far more these days - the times are a changing... 

The Creamery do have a nickel chrome option - which was my original choice. Not sure why I abandoned it...

I really wanted to do the aged cream, but I (obviously) have reservations, hence I am pondering here.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    On Mustangs, normal pre-CBS Fender practice is black parts with white scratchplates and off-white parts with tortoiseshell. 

Cream covers would go perfectly well with pearloid, especially as it ages. Whatever you decide, you will still be stuck with black volume and tone control knobs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    On Mustangs, normal pre-CBS Fender practice is black parts with white scratchplates and off-white parts with tortoiseshell. 

Cream covers would go perfectly well with pearloid, especially as it ages. Whatever you decide, you will still be stuck with black volume and tone control knobs.
    Yes, there is a big part of me that says keep the colour scheme as is (they did it for a reason !) - especially as the control knobs are staying.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    What Funkfingers said...

Black pickups with a pearl guard on a Mustang, always. Cream on tortoiseshell is fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks - yep, I have pretty much decided to keep to black, especially as Jaime has offered to take the shine off the gloss covers, giving them more of a satin finish.

Am really hoping the new pickups will be the icing on the cake - as the neck is one of the nicest I have played. Certainly will be once the fret ends have been given a little smoothing over...
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    Would look good with competition stripes.

• Well - here it is !

I have discussed the new Creamery pick-ups on a separate thread (which are wonderful).

But, am not sure the off-white cover works. I had intended to keep them black, but this is how they arrived so thought it worth giving a go...

Jaime did give me some black covers too, so can have them changed when the new toggle switch is installed (had wondered if a cream tip would help tie in with the pickups ?).

I want to like the cream, but somehow am struggling !

Most importantly, the guitar sounds great, has an excellent set-up and is extremely addictive to play.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Go tortoise with the guard. Looks better than pearloid I think. 

What’s the weight of it like. I have a squier jag which my 15 year old daughter likes but I assume a mustang will be quite a bit lighter. 
  • That was my very first intention - and had hoped I could pick up an actual Mustang 90 Tort (cos Fender do make them for one of the other colour schemes), however they said they are not available as a spare part. Could go to WD I guess... 

The weight is nice - around seven and a half or less. It is much lighter than my Jaguar HH.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    Black pickup covers would follow Fender convention. (Boring, “safe” but beyond reproach.) Most observers will give black covers barely a second glance, possibly, not even clocking that they are P90-sized rather than Fender-sized single coils.

Cream plastics will get attention but some of it will be negative.

Neither colour scheme is “better” but one of them feels right.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Those toggle switches work fine after a squirt of Servisol. The issues are common to all of the recent Mexican Fender models with toggle switches.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    edited October 2020
    I am going to build a cheap version with an orange  Bullet Mustang ,a new pickguard and a pair of Tonerider p90's .I do lust for the Fender version but means must .It would probably end up with Toneriders anyway ,An A2 in the neck and a A5 in the bridge.great tone from them ,had them before in a PRS ,fantastic tones for my style of playing ,blues and jazz mainly but other stuff as suits .  .