Fender Player Series Necks

What's Hot
Hi, anybody know if the Fender Player Series Guitars the necks are compound or not? Unsure.  DonH
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Assume not, sir.

Compound radii arrive with the American Deluxe and Elite series.

Obviously, it should be possible to request this feature on a Custom Shop order form.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you, I am a lefty so extremely limited without the Custom Shop which I find over expensive especially living in the U.K.  I am looking to change a lot of things including pickups.  That’s why I am looking at the Player Series.  It appears the Neck radius is 9.5 across the fretboard not compound.  I can get pickups L/H wound custom especially the pole stagger but may not have to, with a flat none compound neck. Cheers DonH 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    The vintage magnet length “stagger” pattern is designed to work with a 7.25” fingerboard radius and medium gauge strings.

With a 9.5” radius, you would be better off with either equal length polepieces or the reduced “stagger” of Seymour Duncan Stack pickups.

One of the MIM Classic Player models with a rosewood fingerboard models may have had a 12” radius.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    They are 9.5 radius, not compound. Nice necks!
  • I think the likes of Fralin and Lollar pickups etc all offer custom pickups for lefty etc. But it’s always expensive shipping Vat and import duty to the U.K.  when you look at UK pickup builders they all use the same materials and formulas etc. How can they be so different? Or are they. What’s the sound difference between Bare Knuckle pickups UK and Lindy Fralin or Jason Lollar Pickups US? 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Definitely not compound.

Just to balance the "nice necks" comment, I'm not personally a fan so try one out.

Not sure what you mean about Bare Knuckle being so different to the other companies you mention? In what way might they be so different? Or do they not offer left handed versions?
  • I am thinking building pickups, if you use the same materials, techniques etc.  Sound wise there should be no difference from one company to another? The copying of retro 50s etc pickups, I can only think
    ageing parts may play a part in the overall sound.  As to Bare Knuckles are there pickups any different than the USA made pickups? There is in price purchasing made in the US as the U.K.  But sound wise to
    my ears no difference.  The variable our ears we are all different. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Sg335man said:
    I am thinking building pickups, if you use the same materials, techniques etc.  Sound wise there should be no difference from one company to another? The copying of retro 50s etc pickups, I can only think
    ageing parts may play a part in the overall sound.  As to Bare Knuckles are there pickups any different than the USA made pickups? There is in price purchasing made in the US as the U.K.  But sound wise to
    my ears no difference.  The variable our ears we are all different. 
    Any two companies' pickups are as different to each other as they are to Bare Knuckle; there isn't anything that pickups from the same country have in common that differs from those made in other countries.

Having said that, the difference between pickups is relative, any two vintage Strat pickups (for example) are going to have a lot more similarities than differences.

If you're not bothered about the subtle differences between pickups then there are much less expensive ones than Bare Knuckle, they're quite an expensive make. E.g. Wilkinson pickups are much cheaper than Bare Knuckle.
  • Sg335man said:
    if you use the same materials, techniques etc., sound wise, there should be no difference from one company to another? 
    If only that were true.

Explaining why it is not could fill a very fat book. There are people on this forum far better qualified than I to write such a book.

Even if there were ever such a thing as a "perfect" pickup, the acoustic properties of host guitars will influence how it sounds. So will the set-up and the owner's playing style.

I have been meddling with pickups and guitars for forty years. The only valid test of pickups is trial and error.