Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I Prefer The Squier Bullet Mustang To My Other High End Guitars - Clips Added - Results!

What's Hot

Comments

• I wonder what a plastic guitar would sound like. That might objectively be the best material.

Hard, could be formed from one piece, light if hollowed, resonant. 

Carbon fibre could be another. Just a single formed piece 25 inches long with tuners one end, a bridge at the other and a couple of pickups and stainless steel frets. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I wonder what a plastic guitar would sound like. That might objectively be the best material.

Carbon fibre could be another. Just a single formed piece 25 inches long with tuners one end, a bridge at the other and a couple of pickups and stainless steel frets. 
    A Steinberger isn't too far away from that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10203
    ICBM said:

You can change everything but it still won't have the wood, and that's a big chunk of change. 
    The woods in the Squier are perfectly good. 

Perfectly good, sure. But not the same. You can only upgrade so much, and then it becomes a false enecony because no one will ever buy it and you'd probably get a used Musicman for the price. So why not just do that? ;)

• I wonder what a plastic guitar would sound like. That might objectively be the best material.

Not quite plastic but fibreglass...

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
    edited September 2020
    Just for fun, a blind audio comparison of the Mustang, Musicman St Vincent and Gretsch G6228.

Kemper with M Britt profiles > Logic Pro X

Each guitar clean then dirty.

No post processing, very unscientific but can you identify the Bullet Mustang?

No, but I can tell you which I prefer...

Clean(ish), the third one. The first is too dull and the second too thin, the third is Goldilocks :).

Overdriven, the second one - the thinness becomes clarity, and the other two are nearly identical and too dull.

So I'd probably choose the third one and set the overdriven sound differently - the clean sound is always more of a useful indicator for me.

No doubt that's the MusicMan ;). Which would make TeleMaster laugh I'm sure :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I liked the 1st one the most overall
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    I went into GuitatGuitar today with intention to get an Epiphoje Les Paul Special in TV yellow.  I know it’s a cheap guitar so my expectation was low but I walked away from it.  Things to me that were wrong was:-

1 - the nut was cut wrong, the strings felt really strange on it.  It was cut almost inverted to the fret board radius.  Certainly need a set up.

2 - the finish, whilst looks great in photos and YouTube, in person it looks plastic, not poly like some of the Mexican Fender, it looks like cheap plastic and feels really odd in the hand.  Perhaps I’ve been used to the nitro from my Roadworn but I didn’t like the finish on the epiphone.  Also I think it’s the wrong shade of TV yellow, it looks too dark and dull.

3 - the neck pick up wasn’t parallel to the body, it was tilted forward.,

I didn’t plug it in, I might still get one but might wait until 2021 models is out and these are on sale, use the difference in a set up then it’ll be fantastic value.  Use some light sandpaper to buff up the neck to satin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    God I really want to take part but the speakers on here are crap and I'm at my mums and have no headphones!!! I'll listen when home tomorrow evening and part my money where my mouth is! 
  • Crikey - whilst there are subtle differences, they sound pretty close to me.

I think my hearing must be f**ked !!!

Probably the first one...
  • Just for fun, a blind audio comparison of the Mustang, Musicman St Vincent and Gretsch G6228.

Kemper with M Britt profiles > Logic Pro X

Each guitar clean then dirty.

Probably preferred the third overall, but could happily use all three and feel the differences could be eq'd out or thereabouts. 

Which... Holy crap! It's almost like hitting the right notes matters more than the bits of wood and metal you play it on! ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited September 2020
    1 or 3 sound best to me here! Though they're all really close and could probably be EQ'd in identically.

@RaymondLin I completely agree re the finish on Epiphones, it feels so cheap and I think it's what makes the biggest difference in feel between epi & Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Gerz6558 said:
    The neck on the St Vincent is one of the nicest necks of any guitar I've ever played. I sold it because it had poor higher neck access and got the Albert Lee instead. The upper note access is much better but the neck isn't an ebony board and is slightly thinner, and I miss that neck, even though I prefer the AL overall.

Having had a Bullet when I was younger, I'm scratching my head as to how you can prefer it!!! But I guess, it's all personal isn't it. 
    Not sure on previous iterations of bullets, but the current bullet mustangs and tele's have a very good rep. 

No matter how good they are for the price, and putting personal sentiment aside, there is no comparison to a £2300 Musicman.

But if the guy likes the Bullet more he likes it more, and that's absolutely fine. 

A guitar is wood and wire, the cost of high end production guitars is often mostly about marketing than any more that goes in to them.

Not hard to believe a cheap piece of wood and wire could be as good as an expensive one, especially when good can differ person to person 
    edited September 2020
    underdog said:
    Gerz6558 said:
    The neck on the St Vincent is one of the nicest necks of any guitar I've ever played. I sold it because it had poor higher neck access and got the Albert Lee instead. The upper note access is much better but the neck isn't an ebony board and is slightly thinner, and I miss that neck, even though I prefer the AL overall.

Having had a Bullet when I was younger, I'm scratching my head as to how you can prefer it!!! But I guess, it's all personal isn't it. 
    Not sure on previous iterations of bullets, but the current bullet mustangs and tele's have a very good rep. 

No matter how good they are for the price, and putting personal sentiment aside, there is no comparison to a £2300 Musicman.

But if the guy likes the Bullet more he likes it more, and that's absolutely fine. 

A guitar is wood and wire, the cost of high end production guitars is often mostly about marketing than any more that goes in to them.

Not hard to believe a cheap piece of wood and wire could be as good as an expensive one, especially when good can differ person to person 

To me, knowing the quality of some of these guitars, I really don't agree. No offence.
    I think the point is not to piss on anybody's chips for their opinion - if you value the finer details and you notice a difference and can afford that difference then all power to you, there's nothing wrong with that. But equally valid is the person who enjoys playing a Bullet Mustang if that enables them to express themselves and enjoy it.

I'm in the cheaper instrument category, not least because I like my VM Mustang but also because I don't feel like my playing would really require something as supposedly nuanced as an expensive instrument. I don't have that level of nuance in my playing to start with, and considering I play in my spare room and record through various ADA converters it almost certainly wouldn't matter if I played my barre chords on a St Vincent or a Bullet Mustang.

No one is pissing on anyone's opinion. Where has that happened? If you look you'll see I've said multiple times that if someone loves their Bullet it's absolutely fine by me, and I've also said that I could happily have one and get by just fine. I just completely and utterly reject the notion that a £200 guitar is essentially the same as a £2500. I emphatically disagree. 

A Fiat Uno gets you from A-B but isn't the same as a Ferrari even if you love your Fiat Uno. 

A painting by your child isn't the same as a Van Gogh even if you love that kids scribbling. 

A can of Fosters isn't the same as a fresh from the Barrell Hoegaarden in Belgium even if you love downing 12 pints of the stuff a night. 

Does it make a difference to the individual? Maybe not. But that doesn't mean that they're the ultimately the same thing. 

But that's just like, my opinion, man.  

None of those really match up here though. To use your Ferrari example, that would be like comparing an cheap nylon string acoustic to a feline of some kind. Different things to do different jobs. A Ferrari isn't designed to take you to Tesco for your weekly shop.
    edited September 2020
    underdog said:
    I think the point is not to piss on anybody's chips for their opinion - if you value the finer details and you notice a difference and can afford that difference then all power to you, there's nothing wrong with that. But equally valid is the person who enjoys playing a Bullet Mustang if that enables them to express themselves and enjoy it.

I'm in the cheaper instrument category, not least because I like my VM Mustang but also because I don't feel like my playing would really require something as supposedly nuanced as an expensive instrument. I don't have that level of nuance in my playing to start with, and considering I play in my spare room and record through various ADA converters it almost certainly wouldn't matter if I played my barre chords on a St Vincent or a Bullet Mustang.

No one is pissing on anyone's opinion. Where has that happened? If you look you'll see I've said multiple times that if someone loves their Bullet it's absolutely fine by me, and I've also said that I could happily have one and get by just fine. I just completely and utterly reject the notion that a £200 guitar is essentially the same as a £2500. I emphatically disagree. 

A Fiat Uno gets you from A-B but isn't the same as a Ferrari even if you love your Fiat Uno. 

A painting by your child isn't the same as a Van Gogh even if you love that kids scribbling. 

A can of Fosters isn't the same as a fresh from the Barrell Hoegaarden in Belgium even if you love downing 12 pints of the stuff a night. 

Does it make a difference to the individual? Maybe not. But that doesn't mean that they're the ultimately the same thing. 

But that's just like, my opinion, man.  

None of those really match up here though. To use your Ferrari example, that would be like comparing an cheap nylon string acoustic to a feline of some kind. Different things to do different jobs. A Ferrari isn't designed to take you to Tesco for your weekly shop.

Again, people are taking these analogies too seriously. You know what I meant. And you're gonna have much more fun going to the shops in the Ferrari.  
  • God I really want to take part but the speakers on here are crap and I'm at my mums and have no headphones!!! I'll listen when home tomorrow evening and part my money where my mouth is! 
    I promise not to reveal until you have a go tomorrow! 
    God I really want to take part but the speakers on here are crap and I'm at my mums and have no headphones!!! I'll listen when home tomorrow evening and part my money where my mouth is! 
    I promise not to reveal until you have a go tomorrow! 
    Literally charging some wireless headphones as we speak! 
    underdog said:
    Gerz6558 said:

To me, knowing the quality of some of these guitars, I really don't agree. No offence.

But define quality, quality of what? The biggest difference in price between anything is labour costs. 
    At the risk of making myself look more foolish ;), I'm actually going to guess...

1 - Squier
    2 - MusicMan
    3 - Gretsch

And see if any of those are right at all :).