Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cleaning vinyl records

What's Hot
Anybody got any suggestions how to clean vinyl records without causing damage?
i’ve dug out all my old elvis vinyl, some which dates to the fifties but before i give them a spin i’de like to clean them up as some i havent played since the 80’s.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited September 2020
    I use “l’art du son” cleaning fluid. It’s great. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Thx, just googled it - are u just applying it then wiping off etc? Kitchen roll, micro fibre etc?
  • Before vinyl became fashionable I used to buy cheap stuff in charity shops, my local ones were as little as four LPs for a pound. I bought loads! They all got cleaned in batches with a Knosti record cleaning kit. They're about £40 now I think. Recommended.
  • Before vinyl became fashionable I used to buy cheap stuff in charity shops, my local ones were as little as four LPs for a pound. I bought loads! They all got cleaned in batches with a Knosti record cleaning kit. They're about £40 now I think. Recommended.
    Vinyl records have been fashionable for me since the sixties when I started my collection.

I use a Knosti too, it works for me.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    What I do with my old mouldy vinyl is, PVA glue, soft brush, paint on thinly, leave to dry thorughly or use a hairdryer to speed the process and then peel off. wash off any excess under running water and let dry I swear it makes it virtually factory clean.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2949
    My old record dealer had one of them machines that gave them a proper clean. Everything I bought from him was spotless, he would clean my other discs for a pound a go. Might be worth seeing if any one local to you has such a device? Other than that PVA as mentioned above.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6679
    edited September 2020
    Yup PVA. I used to nick a bottle from the school art department or occasionally the storage room in the old block if the door was open. Big bottle straight onto my bag then clean my albums at home. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7853
    edited September 2020
    I’ve ordered an ultrasonic record cleaner, cleans ten LP’s at once.  

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Along with a proper cleaning solution, I have read that you can carefully use one of those "water floss" dental hygiene contraptions to clean vinyls.  I haven't tried it myself, though.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    I just rinse mine in warm water with a bit of washing up liquid and some rinse aid, then dab them dry them with kitchen towel. If they’re really bad then the pva thing works well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • All a complete waste of time if you don't put the record in a fresh sleeve afterwards.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I got the spin clean record washer. Seemed expensive for what it is at the time but considering the use I've got from it I would buy again if I had to. It is good quality. I am fussy about the condition of my records, sometimes even if they look immaculate older records can get noisy from particles in the inner sleeve flaking off over the decades
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  Cheers guys, well im trying a bit of pva on a spare disc first to see how it goes first.
    i might put one of those ultrasonic cleaners on my xmas list.
  • Isopropyl alcohol diluted in de-ionised water. Lint free cloth.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • boogieman said:
    I just rinse mine in warm water with a bit of washing up liquid and some rinse aid, then dab them dry them with kitchen towel. If they’re really bad then the pva thing works well. 
    I was going to say this, washing up liquid and warm water works miracles 
  • I use Vinyl Revival from Amazon which works well.

Some of my pricier stuff were treated to a run on a £4k+ machine that a local shop has, cannot remember the, German sounding name.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    This video has a few different methods compared

https://youtu.be/RIoaS8S4tLg
  • moremore Frets: 230
    If thay are  bad you can wash the in warm water with a drip of washing up liquid . When dry or not too bad you can use a selvyt cloth . Selvyt cloths are used by jeweller , but if used gently will clean , records , CD. and DVD's.  
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    more said:
    If thay are  bad you can wash the in warm water with a drip of washing up liquid . When dry or not too bad you can use a selvyt cloth . Selvyt cloths are used by jeweller , but if used gently will clean , records , CD. and DVD's.  
    This. I used to trade vinyl online and DJ'd many years and if I came across something nasty the best way is a bit of soapy water. General cleaning I use IPA alcohol. Just make sure there's nothing on the surface that'll cause a scratch before you start cleaning. 

I've not tried it, but I imagine a softish clay bar with a bit of soapy water would take off the crud you couldn't with a just a rinse and sensitive sponge. I might actually try that and see what happens!