Rehearsal studios need you!

What's Hot
horsehorse Frets: 1561
I went for a few hours jamming yesterday and the guy who runs the studio said bookings were still at least 50% down. He said things were actually easier during lockdown due to the gov assistance, and if things didn't start picking up then there will be a limit to how long he can continue trading. Obvious really.

Whilst usual rehearsals may not be worthwhile with so many cancelled gigs, I reckon it's worth getting down to rehearsal rooms to mess around and have a jam - try some different things you wouldn't usually have time for, and it might just help them still be there when we need them again in the future.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Good post and very true. As well as rehearsing there’s also live broadcast to FB and YT etc ... let people to know your bands still alive and kicking 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1561
    Danny1969 said:
    Good post and very true. As well as rehearsing there’s also live broadcast to FB and YT etc ... let people to know your bands still alive and kicking 
     Yeah - he's putting on those types of events at good quality as well, but as he says it's not an easy sell as bands are usually paid to play, whereas he's having to charge them to broadcast a gig!
  • Yeah...we have a great rehearsal studio near us (Rocket Park), and one of my bands uses it all the time. They were in a really perilous position - and still are - back when lockdown hit, so a couple of us tried to get all the bands in the area to do a whip-round or even buy vouchers from them to keep them going. One other person joined in and the others were all, "It's not our responsibility to keep their business going, if they haven't got any money it's their problem".

And now, I'm seeing those same people pissing and moaning that they haven't got anywhere to rehearse since the restrictions on simultaneous bookings mean they can't get in.
    <space for hire>
  • How are rehearsal studios ensuring covid-cleanliness? The one we've used previously, and a couple of times since re-opening, doesn't have any signs up regarding processes and hasn't volunteered any info to us, or asked us to do anything. I'm reticent to now use this one as I have no idea when it was last cleaned, or who was in there prior to us, so we've found an alternative venue (pub function room) for now
  • horsehorse Frets: 1561
    How are rehearsal studios ensuring covid-cleanliness? The one we've used previously, and a couple of times since re-opening, doesn't have any signs up regarding processes and hasn't volunteered any info to us, or asked us to do anything. I'm reticent to now use this one as I have no idea when it was last cleaned, or who was in there prior to us, so we've found an alternative venue (pub function room) for now
     This one was very good on it - half hour cleans between sessions; hand sanitizer station; disposable gloves for using the pa mixer; large screen with clear panel for vocals... He did say that most bands just ignore all that and are hugging each other though!
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited September 2020
    We have been reticent about using rehearsal studios.  No advice on cleaning between bookings, and usually very little airflow.

We resorted to hiring a hall for a longer period, less often.   More air, more space, more guidance - and actually better to do the video to FB thing that what is usually quite a cramped space.

While Im sure its not the case for every rehearsal space, the 3 Id generally use arnt making it easy to go back to them in truth.  Quite possibly justy a communication issues but its not reassuring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    The one the (ex) band used was very quick to re-open, but with what appeared to be very good Covid measures. We booked, then the band imploded, so haven't actually experienced it.

The one I use for a periodic jam with some buddies re-opened much later, with some basic precautions (although it looks like the cleaning regime is way improved), took our booking and then when we turned up they were shut up tighter than a duck's chuff. Called, and the owner/manager had to come back from Norfolk to open up (we're in Herts). So I'm guessing they weren't that desperate for business, 'cos they couldn't be arsed to make a note of a booking :)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    One of my new collaberations has started to use a hotel function room to rehearse in. I had used the same room many years ago with another band but new owners etc...
    Turns out they too are very grateful to receive a small cash donation and also serve food and beverages for yet more cash especially on a quite monday evening.