Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Great mid song breakdowns.

What's Hot

Comments

• And if any buger starts wisecracking about Mike and the Mechanics  I will personally chuck them off this thread. 

Although I do like ‘Silent Running’, their ode to a Toyota Prius operating in battery only mode. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would like to offer the following to the fray:

The Doors - Light My Fire or The End
    The tempo change in Nizlopi's JCB Song where he starts the "I'm Luke I'm 5 and my dad's Bruce Lee" bit, before returning to the chorus. 
    The bit between the Exorcist theme and the Sailor's Hornpipe in Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited September 2020

@fob - brilliant.  Haven't heard New Jersey Kings for ages.

For anyone else reading, they were better known as the James Taylor Quartet and they were pretty handy with the odd breakdown here and there.  There's one in the Exorcism just after the guitar solo, about five minutes in.  Percussion and sleazy wah guitar.

Did you ever see them live?  Superb band.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited September 2020
    Rush were really, really good at this IMO - sometimes it was the bit that held the guitar solo, sometimes not... either way, they could do a middle 8 like nobody...

Red Sector A  edit: oops, was thinking of 'Afterimage' from same album
    The Big Money
    The Spirit Of Radio (shouting out to Simon & Garfunkel of all people)
    Red Barchetta

etc... loads more examples, esp in their mid-80s output...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Pictures of Home - Deep Purple

For me it's their finest hour, and there's a great breakdown/false ending before they absolutely fly to the end of the track.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    scrumhalf said:
    Pictures of Home - Deep Purple

For me it's their finest hour, and there's a great breakdown/false ending before they absolutely fly to the end of the track.
    I'll raise you the middle section in Woman From Tokyo.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Stargazer by the mighty Rainbow. At the climax of the solo it breaks into a section  which is a bit like an extended rest, finally resolved by Cozy’s drum break to call in the last verse. 
  • Whitecat said:
    Rush were really, really good at this IMO - sometimes it was the bit that held the guitar solo, sometimes not... either way, they could do a middle 8 like nobody...

Red Sector A  edit: oops, was thinking of 'Afterimage' from same album
    The Big Money
    The Spirit Of Radio (shouting out to Simon & Garfunkel of all people)
    Red Barchetta

etc... loads more examples, esp in their mid-80s output...
    Good shout, Digital Man comes to mind as well. They seemed to have the knack of condensing their longer proggier sections into 40-60 seconds around Signals.

• That well known ode to illicit after hours whisky making, Still of the Night, by Whitesnake. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Echoes by Pink Floyd. Love that bit that's mostly just drums and bass. It's particularly good on the Pompeii movie. 

• randella said:
     James Taylor Quartet 

I saw them in a little place in Reading in the late 90s. Don't look for it, it's not there any more.

Towards the end of the set several people invited themselves up on the stage for a dance, including a girl in a short skirt who climbed up on top of the Hammond to strut her stuff. Mr Taylor announced at the end of the song that she'd done this without the aid of underwear. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Frampton live.. do you feel like we do

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Johnny Marr - Generate! Generate! (Live)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    How about Long Lankin?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited September 2020
    https//youtu.be/s88r_q7oufE

Does this count? 
    Edit - Oh bugger, can't remember how to insert a YouTube clip.

Queens of the Stone Age - No one knows
  • Dry county by Bon Jovi, check it out from 4:05 onwards...

• Badge
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    He's persona non grat anow (but he never wrote his stuff anyway) but so many Gary Glitter singles used to come to a halt half way through he might have the copyright on it.
    randella said:
     James Taylor Quartet 

I saw them in a little place in Reading in the late 90s. Don't look for it, it's not there any more.

Towards the end of the set several people invited themselves up on the stage for a dance, including a girl in a short skirt who climbed up on top of the Hammond to strut her stuff. Mr Taylor announced at the end of the song that she'd done this without the aid of underwear. 
    @english_bob - the first time I saw them was at the Academy in Manchester, about the same time. He pulled that exact stunt (I think he always has) - getting people to dance on the stage during the encore.  They released the gig as a live album and I swear you can hear on the recording the exact moment when the woman dancing on his long-suffering Hammond gets bored, climbs down, swipes his bottle of vodka and makes a break for it across the stage.

Anyway, cracking band. There’s a reason he’s the keyboard player in Craig Charles’ Fantasy Funk Band.

As re. that little place in Reading - I used to know the area well but haven’t been back for a long time. Pretty sure by now every ‘little place’ I used to know is long gone :).
    edited September 2020
    Another superb breakdown and buildup in the track Porch on Pearl Jam’s first album, Ten.  Mike McCready builds it back up with a lick blatantly stolen from Cream’s Strange Brew. Great stuff. 

https://youtu.be/EXtAm7QbwMc