Internal trim pot orientation question

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Once bitten.... 

Can anyone advice me on which way to put this internal trim pot in to the PCB?

The instructions show a bias pot but this is in the kit, I'm assuming it goes in the three offset holes with Bias outlined below the external pot holes which will be unused? I don't know which way the pot should go though. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Aren’t the three pins already bent so as to align with the three holes in the circuit board?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Roland said:
    Aren’t the three pins already bent so as to align with the three holes in the circuit board?

Yes. I bent them to see if it would fit. ;)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7778

Well the pins are numbered, does the board or circuit diagram not show which goes where ?

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Yes, like that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7778

I've looked on the Fuzzdog site, and by the looks of things Pin 1 is on the left.

The only thing to bear in mind is that the trimmer you have is much harder to know where it's set, as it'll be multiple turns from one extreme to the other. (you can hear it click when it reaches either end)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Yes, like that :).

Paul_C said:

I've looked on the Fuzzdog site, and by the looks of things Pin 1 is on the left.

The only thing to bear in mind is that the trimmer you have is much harder to know where it's set, as it'll be multiple turns from one extreme to the other. (you can hear it click when it reaches either end)

Thanks again chaps.
    It doesn’t matter which end is which, it’s a linear potentiometer. Fit it how it fits, that’s all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Another one I can't get working!

Been ultra carful to follow everything to the letter and checked the switching etc. I checked the voltages across the IC DIL socket as suggested but I don't know how to work out what they should be.

The bias trimpot seems to turn forever befor reaching a click. I got it to click one direction but must have wound it dozens of time the other way without any click.

I've got no idea how to test to see what wrong with it!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    What kit is it ? if there's a circuit diagram I could tell you what voltages will be where 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited September 2020
    Danny1969 said:
    What kit is it ? if there's a circuit diagram I could tell you what voltages will be where 
    The schematic is in the instructions on this page Danny. 

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/P45_Phaser/p847124_7971603.aspx
    Ok, the opamps are TLO72 ... these are general use dual opamps so each package contains 2 opamps . 

Pin 8 should be 9V when referenced to ground
    pin 4 should be ground ... so measure between 8 and 4 will give 9V 

Check that on both opamps

Signal comes in on non inverting input pin 3  .... that will be biased at half the 9v rail roughly so around 4.5V ... so read that between pin 3 and 4 of the first opamp. As a general rule this applies to any opamp used in that config with a single ended supply like a guitar pedal has to use

Check the FET's are the right way round .. this is easy mistake to make 

Check any diode is right way round too

Then see what you have 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Ok, the opamps are TLO72 ... these are general use dual opamps so each package contains 2 opamps . 

Pin 8 should be 9V when referenced to ground
    pin 4 should be ground ... so measure between 8 and 4 will give 9V 

Check that on both opamps

Signal comes in on non inverting input pin 3  .... that will be biased at half the 9v rail roughly so around 4.5V ... so read that between pin 3 and 4 of the first opamp. As a general rule this applies to any opamp used in that config with a single ended supply like a guitar pedal has to use

Check the FET's are the right way round .. this is easy mistake to make 

Check any diode is right way round too

Then see what you have 

Thanks for this Danny. I've checked the voltage across opamp 1 and have the following readings;

Pin 1 - 4.4v
    Pin 2 - 4.4v
    Pin 3 - 3v
    Pin 4 - 0v

Pin 5 - 4.3v
    Pin 6 - 4.4v
    Pin 7 - 4.3v
    Pin 8 - 9v

Checked the diodes and the FETs and they look right to me. I think I've even got the electrolytic capacitors in the right way this time! 

Ok if opamps good and FET's defo right way round it's likely to be a wiring mistake ... here a signal probe is a handy device but prodding pins with a small metal conductor will suffice .... if the pedal is connected to an amp then you can work backwards from the output ... if good then there will be a buzz when you touch the contact, bit like when you touch the lead before you plug into unto your guitar. 

Prod pin 1 of IC2 ... with the pedal turned on, do you hear a buzz ? if so go to pin 1 of IC1 and probe that ... if you have lost it then it's possibly  a switch problem, try jumping the switch 

Take heart that everyone makes mistakes building these things, I've built circuits I've designed myself and still f#cked up on something silly :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Ok if opamps good and FET's defo right way round it's likely to be a wiring mistake ... here a signal probe is a handy device but prodding pins with a small metal conductor will suffice .... if the pedal is connected to an amp then you can work backwards from the output ... if good then there will be a buzz when you touch the contact, bit like when you touch the lead before you plug into unto your guitar. 

Prod pin 1 of IC2 ... with the pedal turned on, do you hear a buzz ? if so go to pin 1 of IC1 and probe that ... if you have lost it then it's possibly  a switch problem, try jumping the switch 

Take heart that everyone makes mistakes building these things, I've built circuits I've designed myself and still f#cked up on something silly :)

Can't work it out. The only thing I get is a short between CI and Ground when the switch is engaged, but that's normal i think?
    Danny1969 said:

So Pin 2 and Pin 3 of each IC do give a buzz when I prod them. Does that help?

Fuengi said:

Can't work it out. The only thing I get is a short between CI and Ground when the switch is engaged, but that's normal i think? 
    Shouldn't be. CI is the circuit input so it should be an open circuit (assuming you haven't got a guitar plugged in and turned down!) when the switch is set to on and grounded when set to bypass. If you've used the switch PCB you can't have wired the switch backwards though...

ICBM said:
    Fuengi said:

Shouldn't be. CI is the circuit input so it should be an open circuit (assuming you haven't got a guitar plugged in and turned down!) when the switch is set to on and grounded when set to bypass. If you've used the switch PCB you can't have wired the switch backwards though...
    I have used the switch PCB, yes. Those switches can go either way I believe? 
    Fuengi said:

If the holes in the PCB are round not oval, yes. You need to be careful to fit them so the flat terminals are lined up across the width of the pedal not along its length...

Like this:

ICBM said:
    Fuengi said:

If the holes in the PCB are round not oval, yes. You need to be careful to fit them so the flat terminals are lined up across the width of the pedal not along its length...

Like this:

Fuzzdog ones only go horizontally. I can't see what I've got wrong with the wiring? 

Nothing I can see that's obvious - unless the spring terminal on the input jack is touching the casing?

(Just as an aside, why do these kits never give you shakeproof washers for the jacks? Or most boutique pedal makers fit them...)