Diy Kits

What's Hot
I've seen a few posts here about diy kits from places like Harley Benton and G4M and wondered if anyone could recommend a good tele or jazzmaster kit for a first build and modding platform?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    If you want something that can/will be genuinely excellent, I'd recommend asking @GSPBASSES if he has what you want in stock, or if he can make you one. 

I have 4 of his guitars (well, ones a bass in the making!) and two other guitars with necks from him, Incredibly well made :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Id echo the above, MOST kits are cheap and thats because they use dirt cheap components, which you will end up throwing away, so it makes more sense to buy a compatible neck and body and then source the components you want to attach to it....as @PVO_Dave said message Graham and see what he has got, whatever it is it will be excellent quality...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I enjoy a kit build, but you do have to be prepared for a lot of work if going for any in the under £200 price bracket.

I would suggest a tele over jazzmaster as a first build... simpler design and generally cheaper to upgrade

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The StewMac kits seem to get pretty good reviews (they’re around £350). 
  • WezV said:
    I enjoy a kit build, but you do have to be prepared for a lot of work if going for any in the under £200 price bracket.

I would suggest a tele over jazzmaster as a first build... simpler design and generally cheaper to upgrade

Hopefully any challenge would add to the fun and the overall result from what i think.

Any good brand that is maybe in the sub £200 range?
  • JRgtar said:
    The StewMac kits seem to get pretty good reviews (they’re around £350). 
    Would preferably buy one in the UK for easy returns if needed but i will have a look!
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited September 2020
    www.kitbuiltguitars.co.uk are pretty good for the money.

The wiring instructions leave quite a bit to be desired, but the woods and everything else are decent.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • The Thomann Tele kit is great. Expect to replace most of the hardware and electrics, but that is still less cost than some of the kits mentioned above. As a first build or modding platform you’ll struggle to get better value.
  • Some of those Thomann/H-B kits cost only fractionally less than their complete/finished equivalents. 

Yes. A novice will learn from the assembling and set-up processes.

Maybe, we would all realise how little value is placed upon the poor unfortunates who work in the factories where these products originate.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom