Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The NFL Thread (may contain spoilers!)

What's Hot

Comments

• I've only recently got into watching the NFL, and I'm pleased to have it back.

I'm intrigued to how some of the star QB's from the draft will fare, Tua, Burrow, Jordan Love. I'm intrigued how a couple of slightly underperforming QB's from last year might do this year, Trubisky being one of them.

I'm in agreement with backing the Chiefs to do well again, their new running back seems to add another dimension to their offensive game.

The Ravens seem to have a very balanced squad as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s a lot, but the “Game in 40” on Gamepass makes it for me...
    Aye, I'll miss that - it's a great format for catching up with games! Not sure I'm prepared to pay £140/year for the privilege though :(
  • I am excited to see the perpetually 4-12 New York Giants once again have a top-5 draft pick by the end of the season.

I would say it's strange we're only an Eagles fan short of having a full NFC East representation, but no one likes the Ratbirds anyway.

As for @Cranky 's question - I got into NFL before I started supporting Big Blue. NY is the only US city I've been too, and being a Birmingham City fan in the football-thats-actually-played-with-feet meant I could only ever support a team in blue.

With the start of the new season, I just want to remind everyone of something very important too.

It's ok to be black
    It's ok to be white
    It's ok to be straight
    It's ok to be gay
    It's ok to be anyone
    It's ok to be you
    Unless you're a cowboys fan. Because fuck the cowboys.

Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cranky said:
    Just curious, how do you in the UK go about picking your NFL team?

I'm another that got into it back in the 80s when Mick Luckhurst presented a show on Channel 4. I picked the Redskins as that was the first game I watched and I liked their logo and uniform more then the opposing team (I can't remember who they were now). Nothing deeper than that.

That was in the '86 season, after the the sport seemed to start getting better known over here and loads of us at school started watching it. That meant my first full season of following them I got to see the Redskins win in Superbowl XXII....think I fell asleep at school the next day as I'd stayed up to watch!
  • It’s a lot, but the “Game in 40” on Gamepass makes it for me...
    Aye, I'll miss that - it's a great format for catching up with games! Not sure I'm prepared to pay £140/year for the privilege though :(
    You can get the Essentials Package for just £39.99 that gives you  "game in 40" . The only thing you don't get is the live Games. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I used to watch this loads as a kid back in the 80s / 90s. Mick Luckhurst and Gary Imlach were ace.

Same reasons as above really, but I’m a 49ers fan because of Montana, Rice, Craig etc. back then. I lost track of it a bit over recent years as it’s a long sport to watch and Sunday nights don’t really work for me, but the last 2-3 years it’s been great watching the highlights on YouTube and being able to see lots of games.

It’ll be really interesting to see what happens this year all round.

• Just a thought but It may be a good idea to put a "spoiler alert"  at the top of posts if discussing a recent Game/Performance.

I generally catch up on the games through the week and try to avoid finding out the results.

• bobblehat said:
    Just a thought but It may be a good idea to put a "spoiler alert"  at the top of posts if discussing a recent Game/Performance.

I generally catch up on the games through the week and try to avoid finding out the results.

Good call, I've yet to watch last nights myself, I'm under strict instructions from my 11 year old not to watch it till he gets in from school. 
  • bobblehat said:
    Just a thought but It may be a good idea to put a "spoiler alert"  at the top of posts if discussing a recent Game/Performance.

Good call, I've yet to watch last nights myself, I'm under strict instructions from my 11 year old not to watch it till he gets in from school. 
    Thanks  , Me too , will be watching tonight.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    andyp said:
    I used to watch this loads as a kid back in the 80s / 90s. Mick Luckhurst and Gary Imlach were ace.

Same reasons as above really, but I’m a 49ers fan because of Montana, Rice, Craig etc. back then. I lost track of it a bit over recent years as it’s a long sport to watch and Sunday nights don’t really work for me, but the last 2-3 years it’s been great watching the highlights on YouTube and being able to see lots of games.

It’ll be really interesting to see what happens this year all round.

Aye, plus SF is the best city in the US . . . shame the 49ers don't play there anymore
  • bobblehat said:
    It’s a lot, but the “Game in 40” on Gamepass makes it for me...
    You can get the Essentials Package for just £39.99 that gives you  "game in 40" . The only thing you don't get is the live Games. 
    Wis’d, I totally missed that - thanks!
  • Cranky said:

I like EPL, hard to follow it closely here in the States but when I first started I figured I'd just go for Liverpool only because it's where the Beatles were from.  I had no reason to pick any one team over another that I could think of otherwise.  But that was back when Gerrard was young, I couldn't name a player at this point.
    I picked the Saints with my friend (the drummer in our band) as we thought it would be a great place to visit for a game one day.

We now plan to both wear Saints uniforms for our first gig (if gigs ever happen again....) and I’m working on a song called True Breeze in honour of the evergreen Drew Brees.

• What a comeback from Washington!!!!....awesome defence. 

• Whats the verdict on Brady then?

I thought he did OK for his first game. The lack of any preseason games shows but if they do start to gel then they could be pretty strong this year.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    bobblehat said:
    Whats the verdict on Brady then?

I thought he did OK for his first game. The lack of any preseason games shows but if they do start to gel then they could be pretty strong this year.

He's done.

He's still good enough to be a game manager with a good defence and running game, but he's not a top 10 QB any more.

He's been decling for a few years now.  Even in Superbowl LIII when the Patriots beat the Rams a couple of years ago, the Patriots only had 3 points in 3 quarters.  It was only when the Rams defense wore down due to the total inability of their offense to sustain a drive that he managed to do anything.  The Brady of 5 years ago would have scored a lot more points with all those short fields.

He's always been overrated, but he's done now.

He will get worse as the season goes on as well.  At this point he's still fresh and hasn't taken a lot of hits.  Once he starts taking some hits, and the weather gets colder he will really struggle.
  • crunchman said:
    bobblehat said:

He's done.

He's still good enough to be a game manager with a good defence and running game, but he's not a top 10 QB any more.

He's been decling for a few years now.  Even in Superbowl LIII when the Patriots beat the Rams a couple of years ago, the Patriots only had 3 points in 3 quarters.  It was only when the Rams defense wore down due to the total inability of their offense to sustain a drive that he managed to do anything.  The Brady of 5 years ago would have scored a lot more points with all those short fields.

He will get worse as the season goes on as well.  At this point he's still fresh and hasn't taken a lot of hits.  Once he starts taking some hits, and the weather gets colder he will really struggle.
    We shall see.. 
    I've never been a big Brady fan but I would like to see him do well this year. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Cranky said:

I like EPL, hard to follow it closely here in the States but when I first started I figured I'd just go for Liverpool only because it's where the Beatles were from.  I had no reason to pick any one team over another that I could think of otherwise.  But that was back when Gerrard was young, I couldn't name a player at this point.
    Lived in Seattle back in 2001 for a time. Got taken to the mauling of the Vikings at the then new ‘Seahawks Stadium’, when Shaun Alexander ran for FOUR first half touchdowns. The rest is history. 

Decent start on Sunday too. Love our WR core and the Jamal Adams trade looks to be worth every penny thus far. 

• Atlanta at Dallas....wow
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited September 2020
    crunchman said:
    bobblehat said:

He's done.

I think the question of who does better without the other between Belichick and Brady is the most interesting part.  The former is a defensive guru, so it might not matter at all to him who the QB is.  Belichick was always content to keep a game close.  Whereas Brady has won with three different offensive coordinators.  Tampa's not so tight of a ship as New England, that might work against Brady if he can't get some discipline instilled and maybe some extra check-down crossing routes going.

Saying Brady is done is an overstatement.  Saying he's on the decline is obvious.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Atlanta at Dallas....wow

They seem to be the masters of choking away a big lead.

Herbert was impressive last night for the Chargers.  Looks like he belongs.