Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bonamassa Nerdville E interview

What's Hot
with Mark Agnesi. Joe's gear in his Nashville gaff.
https://www.gibson.com/GibsonTV/The%20Collection/gtvklani7/ep9qwk3x
I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Really great watch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    Really enjoyed that, and per many of the comments on YouTube, it’s cool that a Gibson-produced video features non-Gibson gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
    edited September 2020
    I respect JB and any other rock/blues musician that has made it.
    The older folks thought it was hard back then, i think it's even harder now. Different -read worse- everything, from audience and ways of 'catering' to it, to production and tech.
    As to accessibility? ie social media? A downfall for me. Give everyone a 'voice' and what do you get, nothing; a sea of meh for you to drown in. Unless that is you have 5 hours a day available to skim through it all.

Anyway much as i respect him, John Mayer, etc. etc., i cannot for the life of me find anything to connect.. skills they may have, but.. am still waiting for the 'next one' to come along.
    I find me stuck in the pre-90s and trust me i wish it was different.
    * with the exception of Eric Johnson. I'd like to add Derek Trucks in this list of currents, but alas, he also doesn't move me.
    ** yes, the overall chops/skill level is higher than ever. But does it move me? Nope.

Random musings, forgive me

Appreciate the link!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I genuinely enjoyed that. 

I really like the fact that Joe is so honest about what he is. Frankly he’s living out the dream of the majority of us. 

Music opinions aside Joe seems remarkably consistent throughout his career where he doesn’t seem to have an inflated ego which is amazing really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • For me the last refreshing playing of this genre was SRV. He had it all, the chops, the attitude and the showmanship.
    I wish Mayor would get off his pop bandwagon, but then he wouldn't make any money. Trucks whilst a great player has no stage presence and his music will not appeal to the average Joe.
    Now if Joe B did a rock album with Beth Hart rather than soul, I'd be interested. I can imagine a cover of Kashmir with Beth on vocals.

• StuobStuob Frets: 35
    I enjoyed it plus learned a few things.
  • For me the last refreshing playing of this genre was SRV. He had it all, the chop*

Fixed that for you. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I’m half way through, I always enjoy this sort of thing. 

I like the fact that Joe goes into depth with the story of each guitar and shares what he knows he a non narcissistic sort of way. He rarely mentions his music as such which is to say he doesn’t use these videos as constant self promotion. 

So.... anyway, he keeps the good stuff in California? Anyone thinking what I’m thinking :D 
  • Though I like his playing, I couldn't call myself a fan. Maybe one day I might buy an album though?

I find its refreshing that he seems to regard himself a custodian of his guitars, and has respect for the previous owners/players. Yes he seems genuine and likable. 

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6685
    shaunm said:
    I genuinely enjoyed that. 

I really like the fact that Joe is so honest about what he is. Frankly he’s living out the dream of the majority of us. 

Music opinions aside Joe seems remarkably consistent throughout his career where he doesn’t seem to have an inflated ego which is amazing really.
    I think that is part of the 'everyman that is just so darned lucky' image but in truth anyone who has seen his meltdown on the mylespaul forum (the one that isn't the forum he owns) when someone pointed out they'd bought a fake guitar from one of Joe's buddies would suggest his ego and sense of entitlement are doing just fine and up about where you'd expect them to be. Before he apologised and quit that forum. 

He's an exceptional guitarist with one amazing and memorable lick he nicked off Eric Johnson and no standout songs. His best song is a Tim Curry tune. 

The Keeping the Blues Alive cruises seem to be G3 but only with pentatonics. Endless wankathons with everyone special guesting on each other's sets and ruining songs. 

But all that aside I really like him :lol: 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Though I like his playing, I couldn't call myself a fan. Maybe one day I might buy an album though?

I find its refreshing that he seems to regard himself a custodian of his guitars, and has respect for the previous owners/players. Yes he seems genuine and likable. 

Again that's part of the image. Tons of shops tell stories of his demanding discounts because of who he is and offering them the chance to tell people they sold Joe B a guitar as recompense.

It's absolutely a business for him as much as music is. He must have $10m minimum tied up in vintage gear. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975 said:
    Though I like his playing, I couldn't call myself a fan. Maybe one day I might buy an album though?

Again that's part of the image. Tons of shops tell stories of his demanding discounts because of who he is and offering them the chance to tell people they sold Joe B a guitar as recompense.

It's absolutely a business for him as much as music is. He must have $10m minimum tied up in vintage gear. 

He has one big investor and numerous smaller ones. 

Joe disappeared from IG a few weeks back due to a credible threat to his life and threat/s to burn down his house. It can’t be easy being Joe or any very famous and accessible‘celebrity’ nowadays. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the fact he uses them all, nothing is bought for the sake of it. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    DrJazzTap said:
    I like the fact he uses them all, nothing is bought for the sake of it. 

He takes out a squillion guitars on the road and plays a load for one song so they can be sold as being owned and played by Joe. 

soma1975 said:

He has one big investor and numerous smaller ones. 

Joe disappeared from IG a few weeks back due to a credible threat to his life and threat/s to burn down his house. It can’t be easy being Joe or any very famous and accessible‘celebrity’ nowadays. 

I know he shares a few with the LesPaulForum guy amongst others. 

Plus he knew who has the stolen Clapton Beano guitar and when he realised that meant he had knowledge of a crime and he wasn't going to dob in his investor mate he backtracked hugely said he was just guessing. 

• soma1975 said:

Why does he need eight (or whatever number it is) ‘59 Les Pauls for instance? I know he plays them but surely one would be enough? It just prevents others from enjoying them. Same with hoarding a shitload of tweed fenders.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I got given a ticket to see him at the Albert hall and whilst he's ok doesn't do much for me but when his backing band kicked in that was fantastic, the horns etc did it for me, bored of his solos too

He's done very well considering what he plays so good luck to him, I'm not even that bothered about vintage guitars tbh, mind you I did play a 59 bandmaster 3x10 a few months ago, that was epic but again nobody can afford them, over £10k now so I'm having one made 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Enjoyed that. had no idea that those early maple fretboards wore so easily. Come to think of it, it's very rare that you see a modern board worn in the same way, with those distinctive cowboy chord wear marks. 

Not a huge fan of Joe's music, but can appreciate his business model with Kevin Shirley etc. It's obviously earning him a decent wedge!
  • Enjoyed that. had no idea that those early maple fretboards wore so easily. Come to think of it, it's very rare that you see a modern board worn in the same way, with those distinctive cowboy chord wear marks. 

Not a huge fan of Joe's music, but can appreciate his business model with Kevin Shirley etc. It's obviously earning him a decent wedge!

I think we mostly see discolouration rather than serious wear. Its  a light wood and (I think..) not easy to clean. Of course its also hard. I used to think that maple was always lacquered because it continued to ooze. That was my imagination. I have a couple of lacquered maple boards, a torrefied maple (heat treated & brown) and a regular mostly unused bare maple board too. How the untreated one fares will be interesting.
  • soma1975 said:

He's an exceptional guitarist with one amazing and memorable lick he nicked off Eric Johnson and no standout songs. 

The prosecution rests its case, your honour