Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (And Twin) Review

What's Hot

Comments

• SammySammy Frets: 129
    edited December 2020
    Found a lead that fits from my partners Samson mobile phone, so set all up for download and when I go to unzip the file it saysCouldn't mount file The disc image file is corrupted! Tried several of the other downloads just to see if they would open same problem with them!

PROBLEM Now Solved dismiss Fenders Firmware Update Procedure No 1. Don't try to unzip the file
    Go straight to No 2 and continue, when you get to No 7, just drag the and drop the unzipped Img File file into the Fender AMP folder and it will then unzip and load up.

PS Took me a while to sort out how to get to the Fender Amp Folder, if its not the right folder, you can't drop the file into it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    Ibermudianbrit said:
    I love the idea of this. I can't use almost all the digital solutions because they have screens and loads of menus, and I'm completely blind. Carrying an amp with one hand is almost a necessity with me for the same reason (cane in other hand). I  recognise I'm an edge case but damn these things are up my street.
    I hadn't considered this, but that it is a bloody good point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    See my above comments re firmware update down load issues B)
  • thefezthefez Frets: 131
    Which channel do you all use?

I'm on the vibrato 2nd usually but waiting on a spring tank reverb pedal and I guess that means I should probably move to the normal? Maybe jump the two so I can use the vibrato on the footpedal
  • thefez said:
    Which channel do you all use?

I'm on the vibrato 2nd usually but waiting on a spring tank reverb pedal and I guess that means I should probably move to the normal? Maybe jump the two so I can use the vibrato on the footpedal
    Vibrato second channel for me too.
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    Taking gigging out of the mix, how better is this than a THR30 at proper bedroom levels ?
  • Vibrato 1 for me. I like everything bright...

@melod massively imo. I'm quite sure that's as much about the speaker & cab as it is the modelling but is sounds brilliant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    Vibrato 1 for me. I like everything bright...

@melod massively imo. I'm quite sure that's as much about the speaker & cab as it is the modelling but is sounds brilliant.
    Damn you people, I can’t make up my mind :)
    melod said:
    Taking gigging out of the mix, how better is this than a THR30 at proper bedroom levels ?

I usually run the DR at 0.5w for clean sounds in the bedroom, sometimes 1w. I don't really use it for anything trying to get breakup because I like my pedals to get the overdriven sounds I want so I can play pretty quietly. 

I only have the THR10ii but it's easier to get dirty sounds on that simply because you can choose a patch with a click and you have the master volume and guitar volume knobs 

I find myself using the DR more though and I use the THR as more of a stereo for Netflix etc. Though if I do want a specific sound at quiet volumes I'll use the THR just for ease of use and options. 
  • I tried out one of the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverbs again at GG in Camden recently and was really impressed, more so than the first time, and these are very tempting: I am a former 65 DRRI user, so weighing up the possibility of going for a second-hand DRRI or a new Tonemaster.

I just wanted to ask about the DI out: if I wanted to play quietly with headphones, is it a simple case of connecting the DI out to a mixer with a headphone input? Do any Tonemaster owners use this for heaphones practice and, if so, how does it sound? Thanks!
  • I tried out one of the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverbs again at GG in Camden recently and was really impressed, more so than the first time, and these are very tempting: I am a former 65 DRRI user, so weighing up the possibility of going for a second-hand DRRI or a new Tonemaster.

I just wanted to ask about the DI out: if I wanted to play quietly with headphones, is it a simple case of connecting the DI out to a mixer with a headphone input? Do any Tonemaster owners use this for heaphones practice and, if so, how does it sound? Thanks!
    You know it makes sense =)

I haven’t tried mine with headphones, so can’t help you much there mate...

Im sure some on here will have though.
  • Whats everyone thoughts on the Bright Cap? yay or nay?

From my understanding reading on forums etc people get rid of the bright cap as when playing lower volume it can make overdrives sound harsh. When increase volume its not as noticeable 

I'll be interested to know what peoples experience with the TMDR would be.

I had the bright cap on then updated the bright cap to be removed and reverb tweak. Then i started buying overdrives. I must change it back to see what i think! 
  • I kept the bright cap but I like bright amps, and I also never run the TM MDR below 3.5 on the volume knob - I attenuate to get the volume I want.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Whats everyone thoughts on the Bright Cap? yay or nay?

From my understanding reading on forums etc people get rid of the bright cap as when playing lower volume it can make overdrives sound harsh. When increase volume its not as noticeable 

I'll be interested to know what peoples experience with the TMDR would be.

I had the bright cap on then updated the bright cap to be removed and reverb tweak. Then i started buying overdrives. I must change it back to see what i think! 

Recently did the update, much better on the Reverb update as am now able to adjust the reverb to taste, rather than having to just leave it on 2!  Re the bright cap, haven't really noticed the difference, a friend who also bought the deluxe hasn't done the update yet, but thought the bright cap on the Tonemaster was probably very slight anyway, so unless comparing side by side you would hardly notice it!
    edited December 2020
    I'm following this with interest.  I'm a Quilter user (Micropro HD).  Since I got the Quilter 3 or 4 years ago no other amp has made it to a gig.  I use it as a pedal platform and it does everything I need it to do. I have amps that offer different flavours, but not enough to make me want to lug double the weight or more. 

So my thinking has been, sell my surplus amps and get another reserve/alternative that at least has a chance of making it to a gig.  I'd probably have gone for another Quilter, in fact I had my eye on an OD200 plus lightweight cab, but I got intrigued when the TMs were released.  I suspect if it sounded as good as the Quilter - still a big if - it'd make most gigs based on looks alone.  Not that the look of an amp is a big deal for me - the Quilter isn't a great looking thing in daylight but actually looks quite cool with its lit controls on a dark stage.  But everything else being equal, the TMs are prettier amps.

Just thought I would give you a heads up re Tonemaster v Quilter, as I have had a really good chance now to compare the two.
    The Quilter to me sounds a bit more refined, a bit more say like the Carr Rambler, which I had previously, to a Fender Deluxe. It seems to have a bit more smoother snappy sound, with the Tonemaster having a slightly more raw sound and deeper bass, but then my model Quilter combo only has an 8" speaker.
    My son came over last week and tried it out and loved it, he thought it was really great. He really likes my Quilter but to him, he found the Fender had a slightly cleaner and brighter sound and actually prefered it, though he did only test them out for approx 30mins and with my Telecaster, not his own guitar.

After playing around more this week comparing the two amps, I have to say I love them both, each has a slightly different quality, which is really good, as no point having an identical sound, as thats the same as buying two guitars that sound identical!  In fact I also compared my Henrisken Bud, along with the other two and that again as its own unique good sound.

The other interesting part is I also tried my Martin acoustic and it sounded really good through the Tonemaster, which did completely surprise me! In fact on first comparings, it sounded better through the Tonemaster than the Quilter, and nearly as good as through the Henriksen, which has a switchable tweeter built in especially for acoustics.

To sum up the differences, I would not part with any of the three current combos I now have, as all sound really good in their own right and i am enjoying playing through all of them, the same as I enjoy playing each of my current guitars.

So if I was you Blueingreen, as you have implied, I would sell up all your other amps and buy the Tonemaster and with your current Quilter, you will then have two great lightweight amps, which you could happily then gig with either!

• @Sammy - nice write up again mate :)

I must say, Ive had the same acoustic experience with the TMDR... my Guild really did sound very good throught it, much to my surprise too.
    @Sammy - nice write up again mate :)

Thanks, I do try to be impartial and do my best, but have really enjoyed your original post on the Tonemaster, which thankfully persuaded me to buy one! :)

I might even add my bit when I've got time, about Valve v SS amps, to which there have been quite a few various comments! ;)

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I’m guessing this doesn’t have a loop? I’m really interested in this amp but I also have a Kemper toaster and was hoping it might double as a power amp/speaker for that. 
    Adamski said:
    I’m guessing this doesn’t have a loop? I’m really interested in this amp but I also have a Kemper toaster and was hoping it might double as a power amp/speaker for that. 
    Nope, no loop.