Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (And Twin) Review

What's Hot

Comments

• the_jaffa said:

Little clip here of me playing my TM Deluxe cranked but with the attenuator right down. 

Sound is in room through a phone so not the best way. 

If you are on instagram please follow :) Whats the riff??
    She lives in a dogfish egg case, you could barely call it home
    Yeah man! You got it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    On the sniff for a TM deluxe of a tone decides to sell.
  • stilwelstilwel Frets: 19

Little clip here of me playing my TM Deluxe cranked but with the attenuator right down. 

Sound is in room through a phone so not the best way. 

If you are on instagram please follow :) Whats the riff??
    That's definitely a John Squire riff...can't place it though.  Seahorses?
    FENDER - Scottsdale, AZ
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    stilwel said:
    Love is the Law, Seahorses. 
    Trivia: I think I read once that Mani said it was a riff he'd heard during the recording sessions for The Second Coming, so was an idea Squire had in his pocket for a while - would be interesting to know if that's true. Either way, great riff, with an interesting transposition when it changes key over the outro.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    jhumber said:
    stilwel said:
    Love is the Law, Seahorses. 
    Trivia: I think I read once that Mani said it was a riff he'd heard during the recording sessions for The Second Coming, so was an idea Squire had in his pocket for a while - would be interesting to know if that's true. Either way, great riff, with an interesting transposition when it changes key over the outro.
    Currently just learning this as our bass player wants to put it in the set. The. Whole. Bloody. Thing. It goes on forever! Great intro riff though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Incoming NAD. I’ve ordered a TM Twin from Guitarguitar. Should arrive tomorrow. I shall report back :)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I played a tonemaster deluxe this morning in a shop. The amp sounded great, lovely clean just like a valve. The reverb was good.  I have to say the tremolo was a real disappointment, probably a deal breaker for me. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    If anyone is looking to buy one, Amp Guitars in Macclesfield have just got a couple of used ones in. That said, they’re nearly the same price as a new one…..
    munckee said:
    I played a tonemaster deluxe this morning in a shop. The amp sounded great, lovely clean just like a valve. The reverb was good.  I have to say the tremolo was a real disappointment, probably a deal breaker for me. 
    Very curious what it was about the tremolo that was a deal breaker for you?
    FENDER - Scottsdale, AZ
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    stilwel said:
    munckee said:
    Just not a patch on a Princeton trem or pedal trem, i play mostly clean with reverb and trem I fancied one of these to take to jams and not need pedals and for home without but I think the trem would always annoy me. 
    edited April 2021
    munckee said:
    Just not a patch on a Princeton trem or pedal trem, i play mostly clean with reverb and trem I fancied one of these to take to jams and not need pedals and for home without but I think the trem would always annoy me. 
    If you're going into a demo of a TM Deluxe or Twin expecting it to sound like a Princeton, you will likely be disappointed. The Princeton definitely has it's own thing going on and has a completely different circuit than the Deluxe or Twin. The Princeton has a tube bias tremolo configuration, while the Deluxe and Twin both make use of an optical tremolo circuit. They are fundamentally different in topology and ultimately they do sound noticeably different by design.  Neither design is "better", they are just different.

BTW...not trying to change your mind here. If you don't like it, you don't like it. 
    FENDER - Scottsdale, AZ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    It’s arrived.......I’ve done a separate NAD post as I don’t want to derail this thread.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    munckee said:
    stilwel said:
    munckee said:
    I found the same with my valve deluxe reverb - the trem is quite underwhelming compared to my Princeton one or pedals, until the deluxe is turned up a moderate amount at which point it improves a lot. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Necrobump!

https://i.imgur.com/H6a3qhm.jpg

Well, I just picked one up locally this afternoon for £650.  It's pretty much everything I hoped it would be. Sounds fantastic, as new condition and looks gorgeous. Bond theme & Portishead - pretty much all I've played on it so far. What fun though!

Doubt I'll ever play it in anger but at home it's perfect on the 0.5/0.2w settings, depending how much drive you give it. 

• I have pulled the trigger and have ordered the TMDR. Looking forward to giving it a try

I've swapped in an Ipswich made Celestion V30 and it sounds GREAT!!! The hardness I was hearing at gigs is gone and drive pedals sound soft in the Vibrato channel. My only worry is that the Tonemaster Deluxe power amp is 100W and the V30 speaker is 60W. I think the power amp is over-engineered for clean headroom and does not actually deliver 100W RMS. That said, I attenuate to 15W anyway - playing at the "22W" setting makes my band mates complain.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960

I've swapped in an Ipswich made Celestion V30 and it sounds GREAT!!! The hardness I was hearing at gigs is gone and drive pedals sound soft in the Vibrato channel. My only worry is that the Tonemaster Deluxe power amp is 100W and the V30 speaker is 60W. I think the power amp is over-engineered for clean headroom and does not actually deliver 100W RMS. That said, I attenuate to 15W anyway - playing at the "22W" setting makes my band mates complain.
    It should be fine - standard Celestion ratings are very conservative, more akin to the power output of an overdriven amp of the speaker rating than they are to the electrical power input, ie a V30 will handle an overdriven 60W amp - approaching 120W in actual power terms. I wouldn’t worry at all using it with a 100W amp which uses that rating for headroom purely so the power amp cannot be overdriven.

Interesting combination though - I don’t normally like V30s with most Fender amps, and I’m surprised it’s less ‘hard’ sounding than the stock speaker, even if it’s a well-broken-in UK one. The ones I had in my Mesa Trem-o-verb sounded fantastic on the clean channel with pedals as well as the overdrive too - I’ve never thought of the V30 as a bright speaker as some people do, for me the top-end is actually quite dark, the ‘edge’ is in the upper mids, not the treble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Have to admit that I've been toying with a speaker change to a low powered Jensen in myTMDR.  Since it never goes above 5 watts, I don't think there's an issue.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    I still think one of the best things about these amps that many don’t mention is how good the line out sounds.
    I get a way better sound from it than any other amp modeller I’ve tried.
    Here’s two videos I did this week with it, every instrument running through it apart from acoustic.

https://youtu.be/_82jM6HCMRU  

Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Sounds great @koss59 ;
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Yeah that sounds really good, nice playing @koss59 ;