Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (And Twin) Review

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I’m not sure I would buy an amp or cab without neodymium speakers now either - the early ones didn’t sound very good, but the current ones I’ve heard are all excellent. I actually think I might prefer them to traditional speakers - they seem to have something of the characteristics of both ceramics and alnicos, and the light weight is an extra bonus.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooom said:
    I guess in summary, the tone master is the next best thing since sliced bread.
    No, no, no...

That’ll be the Chase Bliss Automatone :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 451
    I'm getting very tempted by the DRRI and the option of 6 months interest free credit  ;) ... what's the best speaker to go for?  Jensen or Celestion?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    ICBM said:
    I’m not sure I would buy an amp or cab without neodymium speakers now either - the early ones didn’t sound very good, but the current ones I’ve heard are all excellent. I actually think I might prefer them to traditional speakers - they seem to have something of the characteristics of both ceramics and alnicos, and the light weight is an extra bonus.
    that I'd agree with, the NEO creamback I've been using sounds quite decent.
  • brooom said:
    No, no, no...

That’ll be the Chase Bliss Automatone
    Great price on the Automatone here:  https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/toasters/tefal-avanti-classic-tt780e40-4-slice-toaster-silver-10162691-pdt.html
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooom said:
    No, no, no...

Great price on the Automatone here:  https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/toasters/tefal-avanti-classic-tt780e40-4-slice-toaster-silver-10162691-pdt.html
    brooom said:
    No, no, no...

Man, that IS a great price !

Pre-amp in this might be a bit crusty though...
  • It'll warm your tone up a bit, but it might be manual sliders on this version  ;)
  • Sorry everyone, back to the topic   :)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    I couldn't begin to justify either of the TM amps as I have no need of a gigging amp, nor could I turn one up beyond a comfortable small room level, but if they were to do this with a Princeton, or some of the earlier types, I would be tempted to, at least, give it a try.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    I couldn't begin to justify either of the TM amps as I have no need of a gigging amp, nor could I turn one up beyond a comfortable small room level
    That's part of the point of them - controllable volume so you can turn down as well as up.

rlw said:

if they were to do this with a Princeton, or some of the earlier types, I would be tempted to, at least, give it a try.
    I really hope they do. Recreating the entire line-up of classic amps from their whole history should now be easy, it's simply down to the size of the power section, the number of controls on the preamp PCB, and the cabinet and speakers... the rest is in the software. Although looking at the pics above it may be tricky to squeeze it all into a tweed Champ chassis, I'm sure it could be done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    edited September 2020
    With this kind of technology, plus IR, they could even be offering their entire history of lines of amps in one single box, but that wouldn't be cool.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12344
    brooom said:
    With this kind of technology, plus IR, they could even be offering their entire history of lines of amps in one single box, but that wouldn't be cool.
    Super champ x 2 already does that but has valves too 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:
    I couldn't begin to justify either of the TM amps as I have no need of a gigging amp, nor could I turn one up beyond a comfortable small room level
    That's part of the point of them - controllable volume so you can turn down as well as up.

I get that. What I meant was a lot of the point of these is that they do go loud if required and I have no need for that so it might be a waste of money in some ways.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlw said:
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:

I get that. What I meant was a lot of the point of these is that they do go loud if required and I have no need for that so it might be a waste of money in some ways.

I can understand that logic, but there's literally nothing else that sounds close to wound-up DR at lower volumes without spending quite a lot more money.

I guess HX Stomp with powered monitors might do it for similar outlay, but that's hardly the same vibe. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    rlw said:

What I meant was a lot of the point of these is that they do go loud if required and I have no need for that so it might be a waste of money in some ways.
    I've never thought that - as long as you can afford it, physically fit it in your house, and carry it if you take it out, then I don't see that having a bigger amp to get a better sound is ever a 'waste' or 'not using it to its full potential' or whatever the variation is - the full potential is the ability to sound better at low volume.

I'd always use a 100W amp in the house if it sounds better at 1W than a 1W amp does, regardless that there's another 99W that I'm not using for *volume*.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    So, this is essentially one single voice from an amp like the Mustang, without the bank of effects
    built in. But because it’s made to look like something that harks back to nineteen sixty something, it costs twice as much to deliver about 1% of the sound options. 

Fender really do know what a bunch of dopey muppets we are don’t they. It’s genius and I want to try one  :3
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    rlw said:
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:

I can understand that logic, but there's literally nothing else that sounds close to wound-up DR at lower volumes without spending quite a lot more money.

I guess HX Stomp with powered monitors might do it for similar outlay, but that's hardly the same vibe. 
    Funny you should say that...I was going to post a quick blind comparison comparing just that.
  • brooom said:
    But this is in a Deluxe Reverb cab.  Put it in a Bassman or vibroverb cab and it will sound different.  Part of what’s making these successful is they are in the correct cab with decent speakers.

Literally hundreds of amps offer entire histories in the same shitbox, these are the first that offer anything in the correct cab, so have the potential to sound better than anything before because the cab is part if the sound.  

dazzajl said:
    So, this is essentially one single voice from an amp like the Mustang, without the bank of effects
    built in. But because it’s made to look like something that harks back to nineteen sixty something, it costs twice as much to deliver about 1% of the sound options. 

Fender really do know what a bunch of dopey muppets we are don’t they. It’s genius and I want to try one  :3
    As above.  The mustang is built to a price, in a chipboard box with a dodgy speaker.  I’ve had a mustang and it was pretty good but I only used about 2 models anyway, so may as well have one of these in the correct cab that sound a bit better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82 said:
    rlw said:
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:

Funny you should say that...I was going to post a quick blind comparison comparing just that.
    I wouldn't mind hearing this too, to see how they compare. I have a Pod Go and have been looking at these Tone Masters for no good reason.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735

dazzajl said:

As above.  The mustang is built to a price, in a chipboard box with a dodgy speaker.  I’ve had a mustang and it was pretty good but I only used about 2 models anyway, so may as well have one of these in the correct cab that sound a bit better.
    A very good point, on paper at least. Like you, I had a clean and gritty sound that i liked on the Mustang and once I'd found them, had no need for all the other options. I'd really like to hear of these Digi Deluxes, the idea is definitely intriguing.