BOSS SD 1

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923
Is this the very same pedal that gets all the love with Marshall users and ICBM alike?

redesigned in 2018 i hear....would pre or post 2018 be more desirable folks?

A worthy pedal for one's arsenal you think?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    It's a classic Tube Screamer-family middy, slightly fuzzy overdrive - a bit edgier than a Tube Screamer. It seems to be more favoured by 'rock' rather than 'blues' players, but I suspect that's more down to who's famous for using them than the sound itself.

The redesign is the same as for the DS-1 and BD-2 (and possibly others, I'm not sure) - the original large PCB which fills the whole pedal and has traditional through-hole components, has been replaced with a smaller one with surface-mount parts. While not necessarily inherently worse, this does make the new one a lot harder to repair or modify, although not impossible if you have the right tools. What I'm not sure of is whether they've fixed the bypass bleed issue at the same time - I haven't tried one of the new ones yet.

I'll PM you ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923
    cheers John

Does it matter where they are placed on the board at all?
    tae be or not tae be
    Gooooooogling this bypasss bleed thing
    tae be or not tae be
  • The bleed thing is all over the shop. The one I had didn't have it, and that was an old PCB version.  I also remember reading somewhere that they fixed it in 2009.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Mine only bled through if the gain was maxed. My second one was Monte Allums modded and didn't bleed through at all.
    Hootsmon said:

Does it matter where they are placed on the board at all?
    Putting it after another buffered pedal cures it completely.

clarkefan said:
    The bleed thing is all over the shop. The one I had didn't have it, and that was an old PCB version.  I also remember reading somewhere that they fixed it in 2009.
    Mine current one is a 2017 (old PCB) and does it, but only very faintly and if the gain is above about 3 o'clock. They do vary widely though. Also, it's miles worse if there's a phaser after it!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• The Waza doesn’t have bleed through.
  • Was it redesigned? 

I’d deffo get one if you’re curious- cheap enough to buy either new or used, and easy to move on if you don’t like it. 

I love mine for the typical thing it gets used for: adding spice to an already overdriven Marshall when you’re playing a Les Paul. 

Plus it’s a nice shade of yellow. 

If ypu want an even cheaper version, there’s a pedal called the Daphon Od20 which is the same thing. 

• Just got an SD-1W and I've gelled with it straight away. For some reason I didn't when I had one a few months back - user error, I think. I'm using it to boost a JCM 800. It's a great pedal.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Boosting a JCM800 is the classic application of this pedal. I’ve owned an OD-1 (basically rhe same pedal minus the tone control) since 1982 - this was the basis of my live sound for many years, usually into an old AC30, but at home volumes it always sounded thin (until I modded it with a cap value change to allow more bass through). I found the SD-1 similarly disappointing at home volumes, in terms of cutting bass. I’ve found the OD-3 (which is a very different circuit) more useful in this regard.

The SD-1 is so ubiquitous and inexpensive I really want it to work though. I’m going to look up some mods...
    at what age point/date do you start paying a premium because of vintage or collectable or whatever?
    tae be or not tae be
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    edited September 2020
    With Boss it’s generally Japanese = Premium, even though the early Taiwanese pedals were identical in many cases. Then you’ve got the analog versions of the chorus pedals, which were Taiwanese.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    The SD-1 is a classic that has stood the test of time.  I had a Monte Allums modded one for ages and have recently got hold of a Waza version which is great too and gives the option of keeping some bass. Having said that,  I don't think you can go wrong with a stock, standard one.
  • I’ve just watched a video from Radioshop Pickups where they compare a stock SD-1 with one that’s had C6 removed - apparently a well-known mod. It would be interesting to know what the Waza Craft mod is.
    The "custom" mode on the Waza seems to keep more bass intact and increases the gain a little. I quite like using the custom mode for standalone overdrive and the regular mode for boosting another drive or amp.
    any thoughts as to the best place in the chain for the SD1...........before other (TB) ODs or at the arse end just before the delays and 'verb
    tae be or not tae be
    John

You think the Japan OD1s are worth the extra or just sniffy snake oil?
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    any thoughts as to the best place in the chain for the SD1...........before other (TB) ODs or at the arse end just before the delays and 'verb
    Best before other more scooped or amp-like overdrive/distortions - it stacks really well with ones like that.

Hootsmon said:

You think the Japan OD1s are worth the extra or just sniffy snake oil?
    Others may disagree, but... snake oil, in my opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I used various ones for about fifteen years. They sound great into a Marshall tone. My last one was a Monty Allums modded one and that worked beautifully. 

Then my original 2011 board got knicked in 2016. I was gonna get another Monty Allums one. But as he’s a gun loving Trumpster. I decided against it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    jeztone2 said:
    I used various ones for about fifteen years. They sound great into a Marshall tone. My last one was a Monty Allums modded one and that worked beautifully. 

Then my original 2011 board got knicked in 2016. I was gonna get another Monty Allums one. But as he’s a gun loving Trumpster. I decided against it. 
    I had one with the Monte Allums GT mod and loved it.Currently have the Waza which is very similar but without the symmetrical/ asymmetrical switch and is ace