Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amp suggestions under £2,000

What's Hot
dilithium85dilithium85 Frets: 49
edited September 2020 in Amps
As a present to myself for saving up to build a house extention, I decided to buy myself my dream amp (with wife's permission).
Has to be;
- tube
- 50 watt or lower
- not a Marshall (as I have one) 
- 1x12
Would like (not essential) 
- multi watt output
- fx loop
- foot switch
- combo (I'd consider a head and matching cab) 
To be purchased round Xmas but want early suggestions so I can go trying some out. Mesa boogie california is on my list

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited September 2020
    Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Combo

10/25/35 watts on each channel, 6 tone modes across the 2 channels, foot switchable boost on each channel, separate reverb control for each channel, graphic EQ, CabClone & headphones for recording and silent practice.

I've had mine over 2 years now and still very much enjoying it. There's the Fillmore or California Tweed for slightly different features and flavours.

It would be time well spent if you could A/B/C all three side by side. The Mark 5 has a "metal" reputation but can deliver super cleans, edge of break-up and lighter overdrive tones very very well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd also be tempted to say the bigger 90w Mark V - its switchable down to 10 watts (90/45/10)

I use one in the house - the Masters are so good on these that I can get it to a whisper if needed.
  • Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Combo
    All of them are over 2k, only just, but if I find one I'll give it a go
  • welshboyo said:
    I'd also be tempted to say the bigger 90w Mark V - its switchable down to 10 watts (90/45/10)

I use one in the house - the Masters are so good on these that I can get it to a whisper if needed.
    I have an attenuator but would like to keep the power under control, but good suggestion 
  • welshboyo said:
    I'd also be tempted to say the bigger 90w Mark V - its switchable down to 10 watts (90/45/10)

I have an attenuator but would like to keep the power under control, but good suggestion 
    Boogies are all preamp IMO so no need to waste time, effort and money on an attentuator.

You might struggle to find a new 90 under 2k but used you should be able to pick up a nice one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I already have an attenuator but that's good to know. 2k really is my limit
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12338
    Tone King Falcon Grande might be a good shout although I'm not sure about fx loop.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    Tone King Falcon Grande might be a good shout although I'm not sure about fx loop.
    That's a great shout. Do they sell new anymore, or only used? Built in attenuator is good option
    Not after the recent price drop.

Fillmore 50 is listed around £1700/£1750 across several retailers
    Mark V 35 is £2099
    Cali Tweed is £1949

• Another requirement to add to your list.....
    it mustn’t feel like it’s bolted to the floor!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is this from experience? 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    I have a Hamstead Artist 20+RT. I may need to sell it by the end of the year if I can't find any work....

Mark V 35 is £2099
    Cali Tweed is £1949

I'll try to blag an extra 100 but that is top end. I have considered the filmore, only downside is no switchable watts but not a major stumbling block. 
    I'll try them out at peach when I'm next there
  • merlin said:
    I have a Hamstead Artist 20+RT. I may need to sell it by the end of the year if I can't find any work....
    This makes me sad to see you in this situation. I wish it didn't have to come down to these choices
    Is this from experience? 
    Yep.....As my age increased so did my ability to pick up my Boogie MK4 with its EVM 12L....
    all depends on what your playing schedule entails....but, if like me it involves loads of lugging up and down stairs into pubs and clubs then what it weighs becomes an issue eventually.....
    beware the bad back syndrome....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Is this from experience? 
    Yep.....As my age increased so did my ability to pick up my Boogie MK4 with its EVM 12L....
    all depends on what your playing schedule entails....but, if like me it involves loads of lugging up and down stairs into pubs and clubs then what it weighs becomes an issue eventually.....
    Bedroom player at the moment. I play bass in a band but I may want to switch to guitar one day. 
    I think this amp will not see out the house very often
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12338
    munckee said:
    That's a great shout. Do they sell new anymore, or only used? Built in attenuator is good option
    Peach stock them.  They don't do the 12 watt 10 inch anymore but the 12 inch 20 watt is within budget:

https://www.peachguitars.com/amplifiers/tone-king-falcon-20-watt-1x12-combo-cream.htm

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    merlin said:
    This makes me sad to see you in this situation. I wish it didn't have to come down to these choices
    Yeah, me too but I also have a really wonderful 5e3 clone with 2x10" and Rob Robinette mods. It's a lovely thing so I won't cry.... well not openly. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Combo

Mark V 35 is £2099
    Cali Tweed is £1949

Sounded great when I heard @PeachyJack ;play it on his YouTube channel
    Is this from experience? 
    I can’t think of any Boogies post MKIV that have EVL’s in them - even this MKV I have which is the “latest” MK series amp (which were always EVL equipped) has a Celestion in it. They’re actually not that heavy any more.