Comments

• I feel strange...
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited September 2020
    icu81b4 said:
    These are lovely guitars, Why would anyone want to do this to it. 
    "Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Just in case it matters for anyone who doesn't know why, if you put a Bigsby on any guitar with a piezo bridge pickup, it will make horrendous amplified noises if you actually move the Bigsby arm, as the strings grind and squeak over the bridge saddle - and that's even ignoring the massive tuning issues it's likely to cause.

A Bigsby, especially one with the front tension bar, *must* be used with a rocker or roller bridge (yes I did mean to say that ;) ), or at worst with smoothly polished hard metal saddles.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    Eeeeew!
    Also it is described as a 1990 Gibson Chet Atkins CE Classical, but it looks to be strung with non nylon D'Addario's.

Also it is described as a 1990 Gibson Chet Atkins CE Classical, but it looks to be strung with non nylon D'Addario's.
    The guitar was actually intended to be able to take either nylon or steel strings, surprisingly. But the tuning must have been a bit dramatic with steels given the ratio of classical machineheads...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    ^ I was waiting for the ingenious tips you would give us for stringing a Bigsby with nylon strings  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Having once tried one of these guitars, I would say they are already ruined when they leave the factory. It sounded bloody awful!
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    ..hard to find model. No shit
    Keefy said:
    Having once tried one of these guitars, I would say they are already ruined when they leave the factory. It sounded bloody awful!
    "Of their time" is probably a fair description...

But it sounds OK here:

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    ICBM said:
    Keefy said:
    "Of their time" is probably a fair description...

But it sounds OK here:

Fair enough. I think it was strung with steel strings at the time, as that was what I was looking for (ended up with a lovely Acousticaster).
    Keefy said:

Fair enough. I think it was strung with steel strings at the time, as that was what I was looking for (ended up with a lovely Acousticaster).
    Yes, they're dreadful with steel strings - even aside from the tuning issues - I should have said that before! I really don't know why Gibson promoted the idea they could take both - they were designed as, and always should be, a nylon-string guitar.