SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Nice neck P90 or pair of slightly less nice P90s

What's Hot
Bob_GnarlyBob_Gnarly Frets: 139
edited September 2020 in Parts £
Looking to add a P90s in the neck for a Gibson DC tribute Junior to Special conversion.
Nothing too hot, think bluesy rather than metal
Either going to keep the Gibson bridge and add a neck or get a pair.
Somehow I plan to mount them on a scratchplate so need to be soap bar not dog ears.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7013
    tFB Trader
    Be careful that the body is thick enough for you to screw into, you don't want the screws coming out of the back.

The thinner body is why I think that the pickups are pickguard mounted (as an SG)

You'll see on the existing pickup that it has a bracket fitted. It's pretty easy to make one of these yourself.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited September 2020
    Too bad that it is only possible to award Steve one Wiz per post. 

The P90 pickups in my Squier VM Tele Custom II have a similar brass mounting bar to the one illustrated in the previous post. Nobody seems to sell these ready made.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Bob_GnarlyBob_Gnarly Frets: 139
    edited September 2020
    Is this an adapter then. Would it maybe be available as a spare part

https://imgur.com/gallery/VnPZEhX
  • The item in the photograph of your Gibson has a dogear P90 baseplate, screwed on upside down. (Hence, the redundant raised flange/lip along either edge.) Cheap and unsightly but entirely functional. These parts should be readily available from parts suppliers. 

The only potential problem I can think of is the screw thread pitch in the baseplate end lugs. This might not match with elevator screws.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2020 tFB Trader
    You need a pair of spire clips to screw into. M3 ones should be easy to get. I might have some...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers for all the help guys. 
    The distance between the mounting screws on the DC is 100 mm whereas the dogear is 96.82 or 96.84 mm. The spade style might work though but none of the sites I’ve looked at yet have dimensions 
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    @Bob_Gnarly are the juniors routed for a neck humbucker do you know? Thought about one of the juniors but wondered if they were interchangeable to stick a neck Pickup in if I decided. 
  • @Kylef the 2019 ones with the jack socket on the bottom use the same body as the 2 pickup Special so routed for a neck pickup if you want to add. I do like a neck pickup so I'm going down that route.
  • @Funkfingers and @SteveRobinson - Taken my scratchplate off and had a closer look at the current P90 and you guys have it. It is an upside down dogear baseplate with spire clips. Now where can you get M3 spire clips from? The smallest I'm finding is No.6 which is 3.5 mm I believe.

edited October 2020 tFB Trader