Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mustang - Bullet or Classic Vibe?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
in Guitar tFB Trader
On my increasingly epic quest to find my son (6) a fun guitar to play with I've decided to follow the advice of lots of people and sack off bothering with 22" scale guitars and go with something 24" on the grounds that it will be nice and easy to play whilst also being possible to keep in tune in E standard.

I want to go as cheap as possible without buying anything total crap with the main criteria being that it needs to be something cool to a small boy and as small bodied as possible.

I asked him what a cool guitar would look like and he said "Blue with skulls and flames on it". This would imply a James Burton Tele, but they are £1.3k so that aint happening.

So I've settled on a Squier Mustang as it's small, light and short scale and also cool because Kurt Cobain (he likes AC/DC and Queen, but close enough).

The contenders are:

Bullet Mustang:

At the insane price of £109

or Classic Vibe Mustang:

Which is a much pricier £299

That's quite a bit over budget, but I know CVs are meant to be an epic guitar for the money so maybe would be worth the extra.

Thoughts. alternatives?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you were lucky you might find a duo sonic from Mexico for £300...

I'd be tempted by the cheaper one if you can try first - is that an option? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d spend the extra. The CV will still be a good guitar in ten years time. Hardware and electronics will be far better out of the box, and you’ll have less fettling and set up work.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    The twin bucker  Bullet is a rock machine but also does decent jazzy bluesy sounds.It does need a fret polish usually .Great value .My one never gave the impression of dying after 10 years  and you  can shove lots of so called  upgrades in over that time inc coil splits etc  .
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    rossi said:
    The twin bucker  Bullet is a rock machine but also does decent jazzy bluesy sounds.It does need a fret polish usually .Great value .My one never gave the impression of dying after 10 years  and you  can shove lots of so called  upgrades in over that time inc coil splits etc  .

That actually has some appeal.

Half the reason I want it is just so there is a "beater" guitar I can keep in the living room. The kids often want to play with my guitars (including my 2 year old), but I've got a PRS, 2 US Fenders and a Martin so unless very closely supervised it's tricky to let them. 

I fully expect my son to not really be able to do much with the guitar for maybe another year, but I want him to have it around and be something he likes. Doing little projects on it would be something we could do together that he might quite enjoy.
    tFB Trader
    If you were lucky you might find a duo sonic from Mexico for £300...

I'd be tempted by the cheaper one if you can try first - is that an option? 

I don't seem to be able to find anything secondhand. There has been pretty much nothing short scale on the classifieds for ages and Reverb and Ebay seems to be full of people trying to sell secondhand stuff for more than the new price. 

Where should I be looking?

I guess probably Facebook which I don't have.
  • Use Farcebook Marketplace at your own peril. I'm currently fighting a 16 year old little scruff from Yorkshire over a Blackstar Amp that he was happy to take my money for but never actually had any intention of selling.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd be inclined to go for something without a trem. 
  • Bullet Mustang all the way. Thin body so light for a youngster. Frets are a bit scratchy at first but that soon plays out. They do one with the go faster stripes too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Bullet Mustang with skulls & flames stickers :).

The CV is possibly* a better guitar, but it has a trem and thus inevitably more tuning issues than the hardtail Bullet no matter how well set-up it is, has awkward and not very useful pickup switching, and I suspect that although to me it looks cool, to a 6-year-old it's a 'dad's guitar'.

(*But I'm honestly not sure. It's a bit more complex, but the Bullet is astonishingly well-made for the money.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Go cheap.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

The CV is possibly* a better guitar, but it has a trem and thus inevitably more tuning issues than the hardtail Bullet no matter how well set-up it is, has awkward and not very useful pickup switching, and I suspect that although to me it looks cool, to a 6-year-old it's a 'dad's guitar'.

(*But I'm honestly not sure. It's a bit more complex, but the Bullet is astonishingly well-made for the money.)

I found the thread where you were modding one and that was one of the things that convinced me.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I bought a classic vibe jaguar, its a lovely guitar but I had to get the nut sorted and a set up for it to be great - was an added expense.
  • "Blue with skulls and flames on it"

6 year-olds have a knack for dropping some knowledge.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • The cvs are great, but as a first guitar that bullet looks like stonking value for money. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Bullet for sure, but budget for a fret dress if needed.

I’ve had both (and still have the Bullet), but can’t really fault either from a VFM point-of-view. The Bullet is a fantastic starting point for mods etc, but really isn’t too bad outta the box either!
  • ICBM said:

I found the thread where you were modding one and that was one of the things that convinced me.

@ICBM did the work on my Bullet so it may well have been that one. 

I've been umming and ahhing over selling it - i have too many guitars and it's probably my least played - but then I realised that for the money I'd get for it I'll quite happily hold onto it for the rare occasions I want to rock out. 

It did need work when I bought it, but you'll struggle to get anything better without spending lots more.

FWIW the imperial blue finish is really impressive in the flesh. The sparkle looks very expensive. 
  • +1 for the Bullet. I have had some great fun with mine.
    Well decent out the box, just a wee bit intonation adjustment.... And it was good to go.
    I fired 11's on mine, but if l remember correctly it came with 9's, which would probably be ideal for the wee fella.

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

@ICBM did the work on my Bullet so it may well have been that one. 

I've been umming and ahhing over selling it - i have too many guitars and it's probably my least played - but then I realised that for the money I'd get for it I'll quite happily hold onto it for the rare occasions I want to rock out. 

It did need work when I bought it, but you'll struggle to get anything better without spending lots more.

FWIW the imperial blue finish is really impressive in the flesh. The sparkle looks very expensive. 

Interesting.

If you want to shift it let me know.
  • Bullet! Sh**ts all over my Musicman.

Also I wouldn’t advise a Mexican Duo or Mustang, they’re short scale but have relatively chunky necks.

The Bullet has a tiny neck, smaller string spacing and a flatter radius.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    I think you have your answer
    as you said earlier it will be living in the living room with kids running allover ...so hand on heart here's 2 senarios....
     classic vibe £300 he knocks it off the stand or drops it and a chunk out the body or headstock ..oh no

Squier bullet few stickers on , chunk out .. rock n roll !  its a relic !no sweat!  its a £100 basher ...spread jam on it ! paint it ! 
     you get my jist ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom