WEM Dominator Mk 3

DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
British, big cab, EL84s and low wattage...  It should be right up my street. What is the general feeling towards these? Any gotchas other than being PCB construction?

I read @riffpowers fly tip find thread and @ICBM made some positive comments as did some others. I'm tempted to try and find one, they don't seem to be overly trendy and thus not daft money....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    There’s a decent looking example on Reverb. Been there a while, pricey but comes with flight case and they accept offers, might be worth a punt...
    https://reverb.com/item/32352665-wem-dominator
  • MJWs Roadstar amps were based on the earlier models which had a single tone control. I’ve had various iterations.
    Excellent cleans and sound great with a pedal pushing them.
    Headroom playing live could be an issue in a loud band.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    JezWynd said:
    There’s a decent looking example on Reverb. Been there a while, pricey but comes with flight case and they accept offers, might be worth a punt...

No original grillcloth, plus way more thant I'd want to spend.  I'm not convinced the speaker is original either.

I was thinking more like £300-400 for a decent example, perhaps I'm way off.
    Dodge said:
    JezWynd said:

No original grillcloth, plus way more thant I'd want to spend.  I'm not convinced the speaker is original either.

No, I think 350ish is the right price. I’ve had an eye on that one for a month or more. Speaker is not original and neither is cloth but it looks a clean example and as flight cased is likely in good condition.
    JezWynd said:
    Dodge said:
    JezWynd said:

No, I think 350ish is the right price. I’ve had an eye on that one for a month or more. Speaker is not original and neither is cloth but it looks a clean example and as flight cased is likely in good condition.

Cheers @JezWynd ;, I'll keep my eye out at and around that price.

Sound samples are pretty hard to come by.  I've heard the odd clip come up and they strike me as more Vox than Marshall (which also suits me).  I've got to try one really.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    JezWynd said:
    Way too much, even with the case and upgraded speaker - unless it’s celebrity owned and you care. You can easily get decent original examples for not much more than half that, unless I’m very much out of touch.

The big problem with buying one is that unless already fully overhauled most need the caps replacing, not just the main filter caps but often many of the others, and if you can’t do the work yourself the cost goes up quite a lot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    From what I recall they are Fendery, nice clean tones, nice breakup with the EL84's, quite a lot of fun to play, easy to service

I sold one for £350 a year ago after doing a cap job on it
  • I have a mk 2 and a 61 v front, excellent amps! You’re welcome to try them out anytime @Dodge ;
    I have a mk 2 and a 61 v front, excellent amps! You’re welcome to try them out anytime @Dodge ;

Cheers Jim.
    From what I recall they are Fendery, nice clean tones, nice breakup with the EL84's, quite a lot of fun to play, easy to service

That's exactly my experience with a Westminster which uses the same valves. It did need cranking up to get the best from it, so unless you use an attenuator maybe not best home play amp but clean sound was clear, glassy with a bit a valve harmonic richness as it gets loud. Very nice amp.

Another one just arrived on Reverb (I have a search ongoing) -https://reverb.com/item/35747986-wem-mkiii-1975-black

JezWynd said:

That's exactly my experience with a Westminster which uses the same valves. It did need cranking up to get the best from it, so unless you use an attenuator maybe not best home play amp but clean sound was clear, glassy with a bit a valve harmonic richness as it gets loud. Very nice amp.

Another one just arrived on Reverb (I have a search ongoing) -https://reverb.com/item/35747986-wem-mkiii-1975-black

That looks nice and clean, I've seen a few with those alnico speakers as well as the G12S types.

Dodge said:

I've seen a few with those alnico speakers as well as the G12S types.
    They're not good, actually - farty and flappy. The G12S is much better, or just fit a Greenback or an H30.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Dodge said:

I've seen a few with those alnico speakers as well as the G12S types.
    They're not good, actually - farty and flappy. The G12S is much better, or just fit a Greenback or an H30.

Good to know - but an easy fix regardless.  I'd rather have a clean and mainly original example than not.

Going to look out for one I think, they sound like they could be fun.
  • I've got a bass dominator mk 2 with the 15" speaker
    It's a monster and I love it.
    Very clean and loves pedals for dirt.

Cost me about 150 if i recall.
    I've got a bass dominator mk 2 with the 15" speaker
    It's a monster and I love it.
    Very clean and loves pedals for dirt.
    If it has the 'spider frame' Celestion, those are really nice for guitar. I would be careful about putting bass through it at anything above house volume though...