NGD: A long time coming!

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
I've wanted one of these as long as I've been playing guitar...

ESP Horizon, one of the older Standard Series before they made the odd decision to devalue them by putting E-II on the headstock.

Growing up watching Metallica, and later Blind Guardian's Andre Olbrich and his red Horizon, I've always thought they were awesome. Never got the chance to actually try a full-fat ESP but I took the plunge on this and I'm gutted I didn't sooner.

The neck is narrower and rounder than a wizard. Really comfortable! It's surprisingly light as well. It just feels right. So happy!

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes! Lovely a proper one as well I had an urban camp m2 back in the day, such good guitars, pinacle of Japanese craftsmanship imo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is seriously nice! HNGD! :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    edited September 2020
    Bidley said:

ESP Horizon, one of the older Standard Series before they made the odd decision to devalue them by putting E-II on the headstock.
    That's a stunner, good score.

ESP's decision to use E-II thoroughly baffles me as well, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at that board meeting.  LTD is bad enough.

For a modest £1,949 you can have a snappily titled E-II M-II ex-demo from GuitarGuitar - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/181213336021008-5144668--esp-e-ii-m-ii-nt-black-turquoise-burst-ex-demo-es642119

I'd love to know how much you'd get for it on the used market a few weeks later...
  • Beautiful.
  • I'm far from a metalhead (these days) but that is oh so sweet... When I started playing in the early 2000s, ESP was the shit and I drooled over the Horizon in particular. That headstock, with the ESP logo... At the time, in France, that was as exclusive as you could get.

Awesome score, man!
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Cheers doodz!

StefB said:
    Bidley said:

That's a stunner, good score.

ESP's decision to use E-II thoroughly baffles me as well, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at that board meeting.  LTD is bad enough.

For a modest £1,949 you can have a snappily titled E-II M-II ex-demo from GuitarGuitar - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/181213336021008-5144668--esp-e-ii-m-ii-nt-black-turquoise-burst-ex-demo-es642119

I'd love to know how much you'd get for it on the used market a few weeks later...

Apparently they did it for the Japanese market where Western Standards were turning up back in Japan and being mistaken for Customs (or something to that effect).

The E-IIs may very well be the same build etc as the old Standards, but if I'm paying £2k for an ESP I want "ESP" on the headstock!

On resale value... I saw an E-II Horizon go for £800 last week. Great value for the buyer but I bet the seller was devastated!
  • That is bloody lovely
  • I've been thinking of picking one of these up myself. Cheaper to buy than a USA Jackson but quality is just as good. Some feel more solid. Happy ngd!
  • Nice! :) I finally got myself a full-fat ESP a while back (an SV Standard) after wanting one for years. Totally agree that having E-II on the headstock is far less appealing. The E-IIs may well be just as good as the old Standards but as a lifelong thrasher, I wanted the ESP block lettered logo on the headstock. Of course that's ridiculous, but we're human and the heart generally rules the head (if you're doing it right, anyway).

The necks are much rounder and narrower than the Jackson necks that I'm used to, but still very comfortable and quick.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the Standards are as good as USA Jacksons - my SV and the couple of others that I've tried don't feel quite as nicely put together as my USA made Jacksons, but they're still exquisitely made guitars (they may be just as good as modern USA Jacksons - I haven't played one built after 2003). There again, all guitars are different, so what do I know? I'm sure that the ESP Customs are the equal of, or better than Jackson USAs, though.
    Never tried a USA Jackson, love my MIJ KE3 though. The neck profile is quite different to the ESP though. The ESP I can play for much longer without discomfort. I already want another FFS.

PS @Moloch I got one :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 805
    Bidley said:
    Never tried a USA Jackson, love my MIJ KE3 though. The neck profile is quite different to the ESP though. The ESP I can play for much longer without discomfort. I already want another FFS.

Congratulations mate. He finally sorted shipping!
    Moloch said:
    Bidley said:

Congratulations mate. He finally sorted shipping!

He didn't, no - he took a week to look for a box, couldn't find one then called it off! Found another for the same money though! :D
  • Awesome, congratulations 
  • Looks amazing well done.