Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who was it suggested Jazz 3 picks.

What's Hot

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    edited September 2020
    beed84 said:
    I've used Jazz IIIs for a good while now and haven't really looked back. The max grip ones are even better. It's funny how we spend x amount of money on guitars, amps and fx, yet the right plectrum is possibly the most important piece of kit. 
    They're the ones I've been using I think. Lots of little raised bits to keep a grip. With smooth picks I sometimes use that gorilla snot stuff. It's hard to put your pick down then. I think drummers use it on their sticks too. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Inspired by this thread I tried a few different picks it's actually surprising how different a nylon Jazz III sounds to an ultex.

Weirdly I can pick faster with a Jazz III XL but feel more comfortable with a standard one.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I use the black Jazz III XL. Love them and can’t use anything else now. I bought a mix pack of Jazz IIIs to try them out and settled on those.

• Used them a long while, especially past few years the green Kirk Hammett was my fave but I’m really into the white tortes jazz III at the moment 
  • Ultex 2.0 for me. I like the normal red and black ones, Maxgrip, Tortex and Eric Johnson ones but it's the Ultex 2.0 I keep going back to. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• fatherchewielewiefatherchewielewie Frets: 46
    edited September 2020
    I tried the Tortex Jazz III XL after reading that OP. They've definitely made a difference. I wish I'd tried them years ago....... ffs.
  • Discovered Jazz III Max Grips recently and it resulted in the biggest improvement in my playing in 20 years. 

• NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    I’ve pretty much always used Jazz III XL’s, but most of my favourite players use thinner and less pointy picks. I’m thinking of getting different ones just to try out in case I’m missing something. It’s not exactly a huge investment for an experiment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They’re cool picks, I found the thing I liked most was the tip more so than the size. If you want something regular sized with the jazz style tip check out the TIII. It’s a tortex pick with a Jazz III shaped tip
    That’s what I’ve been using for the last few years. I really get on well with them but they do seem to lose their tip pretty quickly. Got loads of them with rounded tips now that just don’t work as well
  • westwest Frets: 996
    I bought that trial pack with the black red and carbon . i liked the carbon grip one but alas too small , can you get a regular sized one in the carbon and grippy ...?
  • Strat54 said:

I'm using these now....amazing grip with them.
    It seems Blue Chip aren't shipping outside the US/Canada. Very strange
  • Big fan of Ultex, though the shape I got had a too-rounded tip (just regular shape, not Jazz iii).

Got a green jazz one in a guitar mag ages ago and only used it this week, great shape!

I LOVE all the new materials that are supposed to synthesize real tortoiseshell, Ultex, D'Addario's Cortex... I'm really keen to try Fender's Tortuga in a jazz shape, that could be the perfect pick.

The only downside with all these "texes" is they crack and ultimately snap pretty quickly. It also makes no difference what brand I use, but I wear picks blunt incredibly quickly. Like, 1 gig and that's it.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I've been using the Jazz III XL's, right size for me and good grip. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6679
    I really like the John Petrucci Jazz III picks. If they were a shade bigger I'd be a shade happier, but they're almost there. The rest of the time I use 3mm triangular V-Picks. So very different. 

It's much better value losing a JP pick than a V-Pick. 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Neil said:

Do these come in carbon and grip max are they the same as the smaller ones .. ? tia
  • I used 3's for a couple of years, then I somehow - maybe through being without one - discovered that just turning a normal dunlop shape pick round and using one of the smaller corners of the pick got me the same results and actually prefer it now. Saves a lot of hassle needing Jazz picks as I can just pick any pick up now and spin it round. Highly recommend
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    edited September 2020
    west said:
    Neil said:

Do these come in carbon and grip max are they the same as the smaller ones .. ? tia
    Sorry don't know. I use the red ones. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    octatonic said:
    I shifted from Jazz III's to Planet Waves Black Ice.
    They are much better.

Black Ice are the best picks I've found that are sensibly priced.

I like the size of them as well.  Smaller than the traditional size, but a bit bigger than the Jazz III, which I find a bit too small.
  • This is what I've veen using for ten years now: custom, slightly oversized Jazz IIIs from Wegen picks. 1.4mm 

• I used to use them all the time, but I can't use them now!!! They feel too weird. I use the Tortex .73 picks, but the ones with the JazzIII tip.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/tortex-jazz-iii-xl-pick-73mm/

Bye!