Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A very enjoyable hour of TV - ToTP 1978

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
I just flicked the TV on and this was showing. What a wonderful nostalgia trip, I was 15 back then.

In those days The top 40 was so important to me, to everyone as school really, and I think it was quite possibly the best year ever for the singles charts (well, in my opinion!). I'm so glad to have been that age back then. I even like the soppy ballads now! I can appreciate what great voices people like Johnny Mathis and Dan Hill had.  One song in particular is the most wonderfully melancholic throwback to the joys of that time of my life - Rose Royce, Love don't live here any more. The show is just a taster to be honest there was tons of great songs that year, but well worth a look.

You can watch it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pmbdy

This was the rundown, a fine collection of music:

Blondie

Picture This

Brotherhood of Man

Figaro

Kate Bush

Wuthering Heights

Odyssey

Native New Yorker

Elvis Costello & The Attractions

(I Don't Want to go to) Chelsea

Manfred Mann’s Earth Band

Davy's On The Road Again

John Travolta & Olivia Newton‐John

Summer Nights

The Boomtown Rats

Rat Trap

The Motors

Airport

Dan Hill

Sometimes When We Touch

Sham 69

Angels With Dirty Faces

Yvonne Elliman

If I Can't Have You

Electric Light Orchestra

Mr. Blue Sky

Bob Marley & The Wailers

Satisfy My Soul

Chic

Le Freak

Jilted John

Jilted John

Johnny Mathis & Deniece Williams

Too Much, Too Little, Too Late

Ian Dury & The Blockheads

What A Waste

10cc

Dreadlock Holiday

Rose Royce

Love Don't Live Here Anymore

Boney M.

Rasputin

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• All in all not a bad year for 10-11 year old me  although we did get flooded in cleethorpes from the sea(well river Humber )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gotta be worth it for Brotherhood of Man!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Long ago ,outside a chip shop in Walthamstow . . . 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One or two absolute classics there. It does make one sound like an old twat, but it is nice to to be old enough to remember when a single edition of TOTP contained 5 or more songs still considered to be classics.  :)
    Long ago ,outside a chip shop in Walthamstow . . . 
    Lived a Skint Songwriter, Lo and Behold!

I jest, I'd gladly go back. Sherbert Dib Dabs for the win!

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264
    edited September 2020

I was only seven years old, so probably wouldn't have seen it at the time, however that's a pretty killer run down of the charts at the time.

Compare it to Rick Beatos recent YouTube video highlighting the Global Spotify top ten,

and it comes sadly apparent how far we've fallen. I know he's got his producer head on, and is pretty magnanimous, but even with our most ardent 'old man shouts at clouds' heads on, it's plainly obvious mainstream music nowadays is a pale shadow of what it was.

Caveat - my two sons opinions will wildly vary, and, ironically, I'm sounding like my dad forty years ago when he was moaning about Elvis Costello and Adam And The Ants. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16077
    Yes great days.........I was 16 
    Amazing to see so many great hit songs that were so different in style and type unlike everything that sounds the same today
    Also amazing how Jilted John grew up and became John Shuttleworth
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    It makes me realise how important the Top 40 was to me in those days.  I can remember every one of those songs you've listed, even the lyrics (or certainly the choruses - and I know every word of Jilted John).

There was a period of two to three years - although it seemed much longer - where I followed the charts religiously, from late '76 or early '77, then it tailed off as I started buying albums and got into rock music.

Even though I think we were more tribal about music then than kids are now, I like just about everything from that period.

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

I was only seven years old, so probably wouldn't have seen it at the time, however that's a pretty killer run down of the charts at the time.

Compare it to Rick Beatos recent YouTube video highlighting the Global Spotify top ten,

and it comes sadly apparent how far we've fallen. I know he's got his producer head on, and is pretty magnanimous, but even with our most ardent 'old man shouts at clouds' heads on, it's plainly obvious mainstream music nowadays is a pale shadow of what it was.

Caveat - my two sons opinions will wildly vary, and, ironically, I'm sounding like my dad forty years ago when he was moaning about Elvis Costello and Adam And The Ants. 

I wonder how many of this top ten will be recognised in 40 years time
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Wow, some corkers in there!  What a huge range of styles/genres represented, too!  Dan Hill vs The Motors?!

• Old twat here again :) but "Sometimes when we touch" a one hit wonder ballad against later era writing. I will quite happily look to the former if I need inspiration, a lovely song, well written. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14165
    tFB Trader
    I was 18 - leaving school - gigging in bands - first car - girls and a few pints - So yes very nice memories
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    phil_b said:

I wonder how many of this top ten will be recognised in 40 years time
    Objectively the charts now are less varied and lazily written. There's no money in music any more so I think a lot of the best minds go elsewhere. The move to digital non-acoustic production has homogenised the sound somewhat because everyone around the world is using the same or similar software. Also if you stick out too much in a playlist you get skipped and you don't get your £0.0006, as opposed to being on radio where being distinct was an advantage. Having said that I do believe that the artists themselves have as much to say now as any other generation
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    I was 8 with not a care in the world. Great music, special memories and an incredible time to have been alive.
  • Agree there are some great songs in that list. I'd be interested to hear which songs from the list people remember disliking the most. For me it has got to be Dan Hill / "Sometimes when we touch" .  I fucking HATED that song when it came out and I hate it now.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Agree there are some great songs in that list. I'd be interested to hear which songs from the list people remember disliking the most. For me it has got to be Dan Hill / "Sometimes when we touch" .  I fucking HATED that song when it came out and I hate it now.
    Yeah, I hated that at the time, but now I think it's a superb song with a heartfelt vocal performance. I also hated Mathis/Williams, but now I just hear his pure, soulful voice (although I do find Denise a tad shrill!). Basically I hated soppy stuff back then, but now I listen and hear the quality of songs/performers. 

The only thing I didn't like on that show was Bob Marley. I've always found Reggae to be terminally boring. 

What does interest me now is the fact that I paid zero attention to 'the band' back then. I really just focussed on the singers, and likewise I never noticed any instrument that was being played, whereas now I'm thinking Oooh a Travis Bean bass, or that's an interesting LP etc.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    The top 100 hits of 1978 - wonderful times for me!

PositionArtistTitle
    01Boney MRivers Of Babylon / Brown Girl In The Ring
    02John Travolta & Olivia Newton-JohnYou're The One That I Want
    03John Travolta & Olivia Newton-JohnSummer Nights
    04The Bee GeesNight Fever
    05The CommodoresThree Times A Lady
    06Brian & MichaelMatchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs
    07Father Abraham & The SmurfsThe Smurf Song
    08AbbaTake A Chance On Me
    09Kate BushWuthering Heights
    10The Boomtown RatsRat Trap
    11WingsMull Of Kintyre / Girl's School
    1210ccDreadlock Holiday
    13Brotherhood Of ManFigaro
    14BlondieDenis
    15CloutSubstitute
    16DartsCome Back My Love
    17Gerry RaffertyBaker Street
    18Boney MMary's Boy Child
    19DartsThe Boy From New York City
    20Althia & DonnaUptown Top Ranking
    21Marshall HainDancin' In The City
    22Rose RoyceWishing On A Star
    23John TravoltaSandy
    24Johnny Mathis & Deniece WilliamsToo Much Too Little Too Late
    25DartsIt's Raining
    26A Taste Of HoneyBoogie Oogie Oogie
    27Boney MRasputin
    28Rod StewartDa Ya Think I'm Sexy?
    29James GalwayAnnie's Song
    30ShowaddywaddyI Wonder Why
    31Andrew GoldNever Let Her Slip Away
    32Rose RoyceLove Don't Live Here Anymore
    33Suzi QuatroIf You Can't Give Me Love
    34Olivia Newton-JohnHopelessly Devoted To You
    35Frankie ValliGrease
    36David EssexOh What A Circus
    37Scott Fitzgerald & Yvonne KeelyIf I Had Words
    38Donna SummerLove's Unkind
    39The Rolling StonesMiss You
    40EruptionI Can't Stand The Rain
    41Jilted JohnJilted John
    42Dean FriedmanLucky Stars
    43The Bee GeesStayin' Alive
    44The MotorsAirport
    45Yvonne EllimanIf I Can't Have You
    46The Boomtown RatsLike Clockwork
    47Electric Light OrchestraMr Blue Sky
    48Justin HaywardForever Autumn
    49The Village PeopleYMCA
    50Frankie MillerDarlin'
    51Patti Smith GroupBecause The Night
    52John Paul YoungLove Is In The Air
    53GenesisFollow You Follow Me
    54OdysseyNative New Yorker
    55The JacksonsBlame It On The Boogie
    56ShowaddywaddyA Little Bit Of Soap
    57Electric Light OrchestraSweet Talkin' Woman
    58Electric Light OrchestraWild West Hero
    59Donna SummerMacArthur Park
    60Samantha SangEmotions
    61SylvesterYou Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)
    62The CarsMy Best Friend's Girl
    63Manfred Mann's Earth BandDavy's On The Road Again
    64The Brighouse & Rastrick Brass BandFloral Dance
    65The Bee GeesToo Much Heaven
    66Bonnie TylerIt's A Heartache
    67ExileKiss You All Over
    68SmokieOh Carol
    69CerroneSuper Nature
    70The Barron KnightsA Taste Of Aggro
    71ShowaddywaddyPretty Little Angel Eyes
    72Dee D JacksonAutomatic Lover
    73Kate BushMan With The Child In His Eyes
    74Leo SayerI Can't Stop Lovin' You
    75Plastic BertrandCa Plane Pour Moi
    76Sarah Brightman & Hot GossipI Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper
    77TavaresMore Than A Woman
    78BlondieHanging On The Telephone
    79The Michael Zager BandLet's All Chant
    80LindisfarneRun For Home
    81Dan HartmanInstant Replay
    82City Boy5-7-0-5
    83HeatwaveAlways And Forever / Mind Blowing Decisions
    84WingsWith A Little Luck
    85Bill WithersLovely Day
    86Crystal GayleTalking In Your Sleep
    87RaydioJack And Jill
    88Sheila & B DevotionSingin' In The Rain
    89GoldieMaking Up Again
    90AbbaSummer Night City
    91Raffaella CarraDo It Do It Again
    92Bob Marley & The WailersIs This Love
    93Crystal GayleDon't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
    94The SweetLove Is Like Oxygen
    95Hi TensionBritish Hustle
    96BlondiePicture This
    97Rod StewartHot Legs / I Was Only Joking
    98ChildIt's Only Make Believe
    99Ian DuryWhat A Waste
    100Yellow DogJust One More Night
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    Agree there are some great songs in that list. I'd be interested to hear which songs from the list people remember disliking the most. For me it has got to be Dan Hill / "Sometimes when we touch" .  I fucking HATED that song when it came out and I hate it now.
    Jilted John or Brotherhood Of Man.

On the other hand, Picture This and especially Rat Trap are two of my favourite songs of all time by any artist. Rat Trap might be a serious contender for the best 'pop' song ever written - as a piece of social commentary it's almost timeless (even with the '50p' line, just)... a work of absolute genius.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1922
    edited September 2020
    roberty said:
    Objectively the charts now are less varied and lazily written. There's no money in music any more so I think a lot of the best minds go elsewhere. The move to digital non-acoustic production has homogenised the sound somewhat because everyone around the world is using the same or similar software. Also if you stick out too much in a playlist you get skipped and you don't get your £0.0006, as opposed to being on radio where being distinct was an advantage. Having said that I do believe that the artists themselves have as much to say now as any other generation
    Rick Beato also did  a video entitled "Has every song been written" and it's worth a look. He explains very well why music now is less varied than it used to be. Hitting targets to produce something means many tunes use the standard chord progressions. It's also quite depressing that extending those arguments, along with the ease of digital productions, it looks like we'll never go back to those times of great music around. We all had our favourite bands and we considered a lot of the rest of the stuff rubbish. When you listen to it now you realise it wasn't rubbish at all if you use current music as the yardstick. I've never understood, for instance, why hip-hop has been around far longer than any other genre ie. heavy rock, punk, new-wave, prog rock etc. It has no musical merit in my opinion. There are obviously no shortage of talented musicians out there but the environment isn't there for them to thrive. They are drowning in a sea of mediocrity.   

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    Devil#20 said:

I've never understood, for instance, why hip-hop has been around far longer than any other genre ie. heavy rock, punk, new-wave, prog rock etc. It has no musical merit in my opinion.
    Because it isn't about the 'music' as much as about the words. It has more in common with the old tradition of rhythmically accompanied spoken performance that goes back to the ancient poets, than it does to 'music' as we think of it in the Western tradition from religious music via classical to rock, where the melody and chord structure is the primary focus and the lyrics are often secondary.

Sorry to be so pretentious ;), but I really think that's the more accurate comparison.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein