Think I want to buy a Marshall code 25, Yamaha thr or similar. Help please !

riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited September 2020 in Amps
as nowt is happening at the moment and I’m in local lockdown my jcm800 has been in the back of my van for weeks now and not getting used. 
I think I’d like to start practicing in the house more and playing along to stuff and all that. 
The jcm800 although it’s the 20watt version is still a bit big for that at the volumes of use at home. 
So I thought that a practice amp would be my next purchase. I don’t need much in the way of sounds , If it’s got a decent British style drive sound like a jcm800 that’ll do for me , although it would be nice to have other stuff too , but not essential. 
So basically I’m looking for something compact that has at least a decent drive sound and I can get good sounds and feel at home volumes for practice and playing along . My drumming mates all have electric kits so if I can take it round for jams then that’s even better. 
As I’m in local lockdown I can’t try any out , so I’m looking for advice . 
The Yamaha thr gets lots of love on here and the thr5 looks like it might fit the bill but I haven’t played one. 
The Marshall code 25 also looks like it might fit the bill but I’ve not played one either 

Any ideas what I should be going for ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have you thought of using an attenuator like a powerbrake on your 20 watter?

I use one at home with a Marshall 30 watt valve combo, even on its quietest attenuation setting it gives me that glorious warm detailed valve breakup sound, it doesn’t seem to compromise the sound quality at all. 

• Have you thought of using an attenuator like a powerbrake on your 20 watter?

I use one at home with a Marshall 30 watt valve combo, even on its quietest attenuation setting it gives me that glorious warm detailed valve breakup sound, it doesn’t seem to compromise the sound quality at all. 

I hadn’t thought of that , might even be cheaper than a new amp ! 
  • I use my SC20H with a Weber Mini Mass attenuator.

It works very well.

Good option if you can't find a Powerbrake

It works very well.

And it sounds ok at home volumes ??
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    I use a SV20 with a Jet City Jettenuator. Sounds a million times better than my Code 20 did at the same volumes.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    The Code 20 seems to get very bad reviews.
  • I'm sure the 20w amp can be run at a level that is socially acceptable and sufficient for practice. 
    I say this as someone that uses a 100w amp all the time at home
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    20 watt amp + pedal for drive.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited September 2020
    The Code actually can sound pretty good, just not through the combo speaker. Through headphones or via the USB recording you can get some great JTM, plexi & 800 style tones. The key is to use the 1912 cab model which is the most open sounding to me - the 1960 models sound pretty bad I think, weird and congested mids. It also works great recorded with IRs. If you turned off the cab sim and replaced the speaker with something better it might be good.

It works very well.

And it sounds ok at home volumes ??
    Yes. Very much so.
  • Vox Adio. Far better than the THR. Im going to list mine