FOOTBALL - Ole Solskjaer out - how long before we here the chant rise from below

What's Hot

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Both Manchester clubs started the season with a huge handicap: no preseason due to their late involvement in Europe.  Ole deserved some blame because he pushed the players to compete in the FA Cup last year when the schedule made beating Chelsea near impossible but what manager would have the balls, political capital and foresight to mug off both the FA Cup and the Europa by playing kids?  

Since they’ve gotten up to full fitness (the last month or so) United have resumed their usual form post the arrival of Bruno - winning most of their games - while City will be within touching distance if they win their games in hand.  Liverpool have to be favourites but there’s not much between those three as the formbook shows.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

What is everybody thinking now?  Liverpool could be 5th if Everton win their game in hand.  City currently 1-0 up against palace?  Can't help but think we (United) are keeping their seat warm.

Not a great game today, could have nabbed it at the end but 0-0 is a fair result.  Derby games never live up to the expectation.

Can't be anything but happy with Ole at the moment, but waiting for the bubble to burst, it usually does.......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334

What is everybody thinking now?  Liverpool could be 5th if Everton win their game in hand.  City currently 1-0 up against palace?  Can't help but think we (United) are keeping their seat warm.

Not a great game today, could have nabbed it at the end but 0-0 is a fair result.  Derby games never live up to the expectation.

Can't be anything but happy with Ole at the moment, but waiting for the bubble to burst, it usually does.......

Crazy season so far, no one consistently playing well so far (since start of the season)

At the moment, unless Liverpool bring in a reliable CB and also get Matip to stay fit, they will finish 3rd or 4th. Their problem looks to be scoring goals, but the reality is they are missing 3 starting CBs and as a result are missing 2 starting midfield players, as they are playing at CB. 

City are looking to come strong, but again who knows how long it will last, I think anyone currently in the top 5 or 6 stand a chance of winning it. 

I don't think we've seen the final twist yet, we have lots of players to come back for some teams that will make an impact, we have teams winning games they could/should have lost and other teams underperforming, then add in the covid factor and literally anything could happen, including a break in the league, which would benefit the likes of Liverpool who are waiting on injured players.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4526
    Looks like Liverpool missing Jota has been the main difference of late. It's utd's to loose now. GLWTC
    edited January 2021
    DesVegas said:
    Looks like Liverpool missing Jota has been the main difference of late. It's utd's to loose now. GLWTC

It's down to missing VVD, Gomez/Matip, without those two of the 3 starting midfielders have to play CB, so you have 3 forwards Infront of an unusual midfield and CB pairing, so the ball isn't moving forward the way it has done 2 years previously.

I don't see it's Utds to lose, I just don't see them being close at the end of the season myself, City are coming strong right now and I think the next month could see them open up a gap to be honest. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I think it's City's title this year, glad that Man U are in the mix again though. Very close at the top, a good season for the neutrals. Bloody good showing from Leicester as well so far, I have to hand it to Rodgers, he's made them into a solid team. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    S56035 said:
    Second in the league. We're top.
    Regards,
    LFC

Hope you're keeping up?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    One thing I’ve noticed from the after the game interviews with Klopp and some of their players is that they have lost that humbleness before they were champions, they don’t seem to give much credit to the other teams when they take points from them anymore, not that it happened much last season but it seems quite evident to me lately.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689
    underdog said:
    DesVegas said:

It's down to missing VVD, Gomez/Matip, without those two of the 3 starting midfielders have to play CB, so you have 3 forwards Infront of an unusual midfield and CB pairing, so the ball isn't moving forward the way it has done 2 years previously.

I don't see it's Utds to lose, I just don't see them being close at the end of the season myself, City are coming strong right now and I think the next month could see them open up a gap to be honest. 
    Re United yeah agree, good consistency of late but I’m not sure an actual title challenge is in the team.  I hope to be proven wrong.  Still can’t complain, still top after the worst league start since 1972/3.  Might not last long but progress none-the-less.

Re Liverpool yes missing in defence but even in the final third when opportunities are there the forwards are not clicking.  It is puzzling as they are in the top attacks in Europe, but it has only been 3 games and still leagues top scorers so probably just a blip.  

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    mgaw said:
    joeyowen said:
    It's a first time for me ever, I turned the game off.  I'd had enough when it hit 4.  I've watched some awful games, and always felt the need to stick until the full 90.  Partly so I didn't feel like a glory hunter.  I'm from Wales, so get stick for supporting them, but it's a family thing, generations back were mancs and the team went from parent to child through good and bad times, I was just lucky!

However, I was going to buy the shirt this season again, and 2 for the children.  All 3 won't be ordered.  Not a hissy fit, but I want to support a football club, not a business who announce fucking tractor sponsors.  

I envy a lot of so called smaller clubs
    yep its hard to see any investment helping tbh     why are they so shit in the transfer market?
    just returned to this thread, looks different now
    joeyowen said:
    mgaw said:
    joeyowen said:
    It's a first time for me ever, I turned the game off.  I'd had enough when it hit 4.  I've watched some awful games, and always felt the need to stick until the full 90.  Partly so I didn't feel like a glory hunter.  I'm from Wales, so get stick for supporting them, but it's a family thing, generations back were mancs and the team went from parent to child through good and bad times, I was just lucky!

However, I was going to buy the shirt this season again, and 2 for the children.  All 3 won't be ordered.  Not a hissy fit, but I want to support a football club, not a business who announce fucking tractor sponsors.  

I envy a lot of so called smaller clubs
    yep its hard to see any investment helping tbh     why are they so shit in the transfer market?
    No idea, Evra is talking a lot of secrets at the moment.  United having a key lawyer Matt Judge who does the transfer stuff.  Evra once got a call from a big club's sporting director because Judge wasn't picking up his phone for days.

It all seems really schoolboy stuff, but surely they know what they are doing?

The Cavani transfer is crazy.  All this talk about changing strategies, and recognising who wants to play for the club and who wants a pay day.  Get a 33yr old, unproven pl striker at 200k per week with days to go in the window.  It is just madness

who knew?
    not me!
    I wouldn't bet £1000 on any team at this stage
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited January 2021
    Shit game today. I still predict City will win the league. Liverpool will pick up again as the season progresses, especially when Jota returns, but it will be too little too late. Incredible bad luck with injuries to crucial players.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    I think OGS had not got the guts to be fully proactive and really take on LFC yesterday - 3 points clear before kick off, so IMO they had a free run at this and little to loose - The pressure was on LFC - A win against LFC, then play Fulham before LFC play Burnley so they could have been 9 points clear before that game started - I bet Fergie would have taken this option, especially against a cobbled together LFC

Good job next weeks cup tie can go to penalties, based on yesterday's game then we'd still be waiting now for that 1st goal and a win

It looks interesting now that 4-8 clubs are so close in the table - IMO LFC, MCFC, MUFC will be the top 3, with Leicester, Spurs and Chelsea fighting for 4th - Sorry but don't see Leicester having the depth of squad to be there at the end

If I had to place a bet today then MCFC for the title

Agree LFC missing Jota  Yes they liked their defenders back, but leaking goals in the last month or so is not the issue - It is creating and scoring and in parts they have looked bland - Salah was below par yesterday - Shaw did a good job on him - But overall little creativity from LFC - Repeat, I think MUFC bottled it in their game plan - Certainly MCFC benefited from the draw

• If I had to place a bet today then MCFC for the title

Agree LFC missing Jota  Yes they liked their defenders back, but leaking goals in the last month or so is not the issue - It is creating and scoring and in parts they have looked bland - Salah was below par yesterday - Shaw did a good job on him - But overall little creativity from LFC - Repeat, I think MUFC bottled it in their game plan - Certainly MCFC benefited from the draw
    I thought both teams defended well, but lacked something in the opposition's box, Salah in particular looked off the pace as did Rashford.

I think another reason for Liverpool's lack of success recently is team's have been working out how to set up for TAA etc right now, but Klopp's a superb coach and will address this at some time.

I'm in agreement that MCFC are the favourites.  KDB was a little quiet last season in some ways, and this season he looks back to his best, and when he's playing well IMO he's one of the best players in the world, he's one of the rare players who can raise the performances of his team mates as well.

Even though he doesn't play for the team I support, he's one of the players I think you should enjoy watching as much you can whilst he's still playing in the league.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    I think OGS had not got the guts to be fully proactive and really take on LFC yesterday - 3 points clear before kick off, so IMO they had a free run at this and little to loose - The pressure was on LFC - A win against LFC, then play Fulham before LFC play Burnley so they could have been 9 points clear before that game started - I bet Fergie would have taken this option, especially against a cobbled together LFC

Good job next weeks cup tie can go to penalties, based on yesterday's game then we'd still be waiting now for that 1st goal and a win

It looks interesting now that 4-8 clubs are so close in the table - IMO LFC, MCFC, MUFC will be the top 3, with Leicester, Spurs and Chelsea fighting for 4th - Sorry but don't see Leicester having the depth of squad to be there at the end

Disagree with most of that - apart from City being favourites.

Priority was to stay top of the League, which we did. A point at Anfield will always be a good result and I think Fergie's tactics would have been exactly the same - stay compact, hit them on the counter and try and nick one, which we very nearly did. Saying United bottled it is ridiculous. We've seen what happens when lesser teams go there and play 10 up front, Mark!  =)

Also cannot believe how people have fallen for this nonsense peddled by Klopp that LFC were some sort of makeshift team yesterday. His centre-halves are injured - guess what, injuries happen in football. Makeshift team 'cobbled together'? 9 of that 11 were first team regulars when they were crushing everyone last season - then add Thiago on top? Nonsense...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

But in order to not leak goals they are having to play two of their starting midfield players in defence, which is effecting quality of chances. Also missing the ability of VVD and Matip to step forward with the ball and make a pass that skips midfield of both teams. 

It's a knock on effect, the midfield are having to sit back and offer cover to the makeshift defence, the wide defenders are having to bomb forward less etc etc 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:

Disagree with most of that - apart from City being favourites.

Priority was to stay top of the League, which we did. A point at Anfield will always be a good result and I think Fergie's tactics would have been exactly the same - stay compact, hit them on the counter and try and nick one, which we very nearly did. Saying United bottled it is ridiculous. We've seen what happens when lesser teams go there and play 10 up front, Mark!  =)

Also cannot believe how people have fallen for this nonsense peddled by Klopp that LFC were some sort of makeshift team yesterday. His centre-halves are injured - guess what, injuries happen in football. Makeshift team 'cobbled together'? 9 of that 11 were first team regulars when they were crushing everyone last season - then add Thiago on top? Nonsense...
    50% of the Liverpool back 4 were playing out of position - That in itself meant the midfield was not their first choice line up - Yet as it happened that back 4 managed to handle the bulk of what MUFC took to them - Fabinho closing down Rashford on the break, in the 2nd half, forcing him wide and no shot, was excellent - You don't need much ability to determine that that was not a first choice defence in anyway shape or form - I bet before kick off that LFC fans were worried about that line up and MUFC fans should have been licking their lips - So no need to listen to any comments from Klopp about that back 4 whatsoever 

Fernandes was seriously below par in that match - The Man U bench was more appetizing with far more options to bring on who could have had a positive impact - LFC had a far less appetizing bench - Surely Man U would have wanted to take that unbeaten Anfield away from them and go 6 points clear of LFC - I think OGS was to afraid to loose 

Even OGS now thinks they missed a trick - Yet they were equally bland against Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City

I said at the start of the season and I'll repeat now - There is no way that Spurs, Chelsea, Man U could close a 30 point plus gap to an on form LFC or MCFC and hit the 90 plus point target - It would be more likely that LFC and MCFC would not hit such heights and drop their own form to somewhere in the 80 points - I think we all know that MUFC have improved upon the last year or so, regarding results and the league table would suggest that - I think there is some stat that shows if the season was based on 2020 alone then MUFC would have won - So yes improvement from them - But some of the 'improvements' are balanced by a dip, so far to date, from LFC and MCFC  - So the table is far more compressed - Probably a better competition for that - 1 game short of 1/2 way thru' the season, so give MUFC the 3 points v Fulham and that would suggest an 80 point final tally  - You've got to go back to the 96/97 97/98 and 98/99 for the winners to get under 80 points to win the title

From now on 'till the end of the season, with Thursday visits around Europe, so late back home early Friday with little time to prepare for a Sunday match, can MUFC maintain what they have or indeed further improve ? - MCFC are starting to come good again - Will LFC continue to not score 

I don't see Chelsea making the top 2 or indeed Spurs - Or indeed Leicester - Yet wouldn't it be great to see 4/6 teams so closely placed with only 3-5 games left - My gut feeling is that MCFC will open a gap sometime late Jan and not be caught - Yet the 6th and 13th Feb will be 2 key games for them - Yet just seen your run in and May will be interesting

Either way I still think they had not got the guts to go for it, with nothing to loose - The pressure was all on LFC at the start of that match - They would not want to be 6 points behind the leaders at the end of the match
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    underdog said:

But in order to not leak goals they are having to play two of their starting midfield players in defence, which is effecting quality of chances. Also missing the ability of VVD and Matip to step forward with the ball and make a pass that skips midfield of both teams. 

It's a knock on effect, the midfield are having to sit back and offer cover to the makeshift defence, the wide defenders are having to bomb forward less etc etc 
    Don't know why they just don't go and buy Ben White now !!! - hell of a future ahead for him - VVD will be back - Not sure Matip is part of a long term project - But Ben White can be essential now and in the future - He can only improve in such a team

But yes see the issue with having to protect a make shift back 4 and then miss those two players in midfield - Knock on impact - MUFC had basically a full 1st team to pick - Not so for LFC 

LFC have certainly struggled for a few games for goals and with few good chances created during such games - Both Newcastle and West Brom games and they were pretty bland once they arrived in the 18 yard box - The magic of C Palace has gone - Sure it will be back - When is Jota back available
    tFB Trader
    Well Pogba certainly caught that well - They always look good when they are still rising as they hit the back of the neck - He played well last night as well - Showed what he can do - To many times he plays with an attitude that appears to show the boss has asked him to do something he doesn't want to - No smile on his face and the bottom lip about to drop - But good performance last night by him - To be fair it was a good game and indeed so was the City/Villa game - Both entertaining to watch