Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One guitar. One amp.

What's Hot
Inspired by getting my Les Paul back from a long time with guitar tech (only needed a bit of tweaking but business is booming apparently) and having missed her enough to do the whole second honeymoon thing:

I’m 99% sure that if I could only have one guitar and one amp it would be my Les Paul and my Marshall 1974x. Allow me just one pedal as well and it’s a Beano Boost.

The 1% - well I really love my SG. And I’ve not got round to playing a 6g3 amp at length. But that’s me just being very honest!

But screw GAS, this seems like a good topic and one to hopefully inspire everyone to love what they have even more. 

One guitar. One amp. What are you rescuing from the burning building? What stays even if you have to sell everything else and move back home? What are you taking to your desert island?

What’s your one guitar and one amp?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    edited September 2020
    One thing is what I'd keep for sentimental reasons... but I'd prefer to say what I'd keep for actual playing, and that would be a telecaster (vintage style either rosewood board or maple). And a souped up princeton reverb. That would virtually cover all my needs, if I'm allowed I'll also get a tuner to go with that set of gear.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I just bought back a 79 champ I sold to a mate as the thought of him selling to someone else gave me the shivers so that would be the amp. 

Just acquired an 80s standard tele I’ve wanted for ages as it plays so well so those two would probably do me. 

I have a mr black deluxe reverb tremolo which compliments them both really well. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    ‘61 tele and 5e3. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    edited September 2020
    My 1962 Fender Jaguar and my Fender Twin (assuming in this dream world that it had been fixed. While I’m dreaming, it could be about 20lbs lighter too). 

And if I’m allowed only one pedal, I’d go Moog MF104M. 
    munckee said:
    I just bought back a 79 champ I sold to a mate as the thought of him selling to someone else gave me the shivers so that would be the amp. 

Just acquired an 80s standard tele I’ve wanted for ages as it plays so well so those two would probably do me. 

I have a mr black deluxe reverb tremolo which compliments them both really well. 
    Interesting, I recently sold my early 1965 vibrochamp and whilst I have the opportunity to buy it back, I'm not sure I'd want to. I've tried to make champs work for me, but the speaker size seems to really limit what they can do. And putting them over 6 is no fun at all in my experience, even if you have one that is properly voiced.
  • If the building was burning, I'd let all my guitars burn and use that as an excuse to buy more.

But if I could only have one guitar, it would be a Strat with Firebird pickups. Which I guess would mean a partscaster/custom as no-one that I am aware of makes one.

As for amps, it's quite likely I'd rather rescue my laptop and use plugins.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    brooom said:
    munckee said:

Interesting, I recently sold my early 1965 vibrochamp and whilst I have the opportunity to buy it back, I'm not sure I'd want to. I've tried to make champs work for me, but the speaker size seems to really limit what they can do. And putting them over 6 is no fun at all in my experience, even if you have one that is properly voiced.
    Mine sounds so much better than the Princeton I had before it. Clear as a bell and magic with single coils. I sold it to try and find a 74 vibrochamp (birth year) but they are as common as hens teeth seemingly. 
    @munckee it's really odd, I don't doubt that you've had great experience with one... I've had and played loads of blackface/silverface champs and vibro champs, it's always been the one amp I keep coming back to, because I want them to be something, that at the end of the day I can never get them to be. All the push pull 2x6V6 fenders on the other hand seem to do it for me, but I attribute this more to speaker/cab size.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited September 2020
    Guitar would have to be my Tele which was a 50th birthday pressie from Mrs9000.

Don't have an amp I'm particularly attached to so would probably grab my Strat instead. If I absolutely had to grab an amp from the raging inferno that used to be my house it would be my Blackstar Studio 10 6L6. 

Obviously it would take time (which presumably I wouldn't have) to detach a pedal from my board while the flames are getting higher so obviously I'd just grab the lot.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    63 Strat and a Marshall amp.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • 12string Ric and deluxe reverb, sod playing fancy when simplicity sounds so sweet. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    I’m afraid the Mesa Lonestar would have to go up in flames for me as it’s too damn heavy to shift!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t have a huge amount of guitars but of what I have without a doubt it’d be my Vintage ( brand not age!) Les Paul. 

In fact having been through a few guitars in the last while and now coming back to a Les Paul, I can confidently say that if I had to, I could probably be happy with just playing a decent Les Paul for the rest of my days. 

Amps? Something small with tubes would probably be enough.  
  • Tricky one, Do i save it for sentimental reasons or because It sounds good?? Im going with my ears on this one. 
    For me Im really digging my Greco super real 1200 through a cranked Matchless Lighting 15.
  • Gibson CS-336, without question. No amps - I live on the 42nd floor. I'm not carrying an amp down those stairs... But the first amp I'd buy with the insurance money would be a Deluxe Reverb (possibly Tonemaster)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    The CS Jazzmaster in my profile pic.
    Handwired Vox AC15.
    Origin RevivalTrem. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Fender Telecaster (pre CBS)
    Fender Twin Reverb
  • The Rickenbacker 650 Colorado
    For the desert Island? The THR30ii
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2020
    Amps are more replaceable so it would be 2 guitars....R8 first, then CS ‘61 strat or 00028ec, whichever is nearest. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    The saved guitar would be my 1982 Schecter Tele. I must have played a trillion gigs with it and I can’t imagine ever being without it. The amp would be my recently restored 1963 Fender Tremolux not only because it’s wonderful but also because it belonged to a great friend and band mate who passed away a few years ago.

It there’s to be a pedal too the Tumnus would be the one.