SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS Gretsch 5124 £450 NOW SOLD

IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
edited October 2020 in Guitars £
SOLD

Here’s one that I’ve kept because it just looks so good and is worth (relatively) little to sell so it’s stayed. 

However, I’m growing to realise now, I don’t need multiples of guitars laying around doing nothing and I’ve got an interesting project in the pipeline that’ll be a trem guitar. 

It’s one of the older Korean Electromatics which has the DeArmond pickups that are well regarded and I’ve upgraded the Bigsby to a proper Gretsch logo USA one.

The bridge isn’t pinned so I’d recommend the next owner tapes it down at least.

The machine heads have been swapped for split shaft vintage ones which I like.

Condition is well detailed in the photos it’s been played but not abused. It’s aging well - the binding and general colour. A few minor scuffs but nothing to worry about. Full gallery below.

There’s a minor impression on the fretboard on the low E area on one of the lower frets. It’s been steamed out but is visible if you go looking for it. One of the bottom strap pins isn’t quite straight - it functions but does my OCD in a bit so full disclosure etc.

Looking for a sale rather than trade and will meet within a reasonable distance of the West Mids. I can’t post, and won’t post as I don’t have a suitable hard case.

Relatively rare and fairly sought after from what I understand, taking into account everything and the Bigsby I’m after £499. Sounds better than £500 eh?

The pickguard is long gone because it was horrible. 

This guitar performs well when AB’d against my proline Gretsch Jet for less than half the money. 

Thanks for looking.

Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Very nice guitar.  This is a desirable late model with the smaller f-holes, and in a fantastic colour. 
    The V-cut Bigsby B6 looks fantastic on there. 
    GLWTS
    Does it come with a hard case?

Marlin
  • TheMarlin said:
    Very nice guitar.  This is a desirable late model with the smaller f-holes, and in a fantastic colour. 
    The V-cut Bigsby B6 looks fantastic on there. 
    GLWTS
    Does it come with a hard case?

Marlin
    No case hence no postage. And thanks it is a great looking guitar. The only one my wife encourages me to leave on show. I won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t sell. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    edited September 2020
    Initial price too high?

Adjusted to £450 accordingly...

Here’s a video of what these guitars can sound like. Different colour, same pickups but you get the idea.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qyAzkyWVrzM

It’s not essential to have a quiff and your mate playing slap bass with these Gretsches...

Unless you want it to - then it’s fine for the job! As demonstrated below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=6MHSf1SP2nM

“But I play jazzy bluesy stuff Steve” You’re in luck - it’ll do that as well. Mmm nice...

• Very nice....pity I'm skint....

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    Too many guitars, . . . must . . . stop . . . look . .   img!

GLWTS
  • Friday bump. 
    edited September 2020
    'Sunday Bloody Sunday'. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, sell a guitar and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!".

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5742
    I’m on my second 512x now. My first was sadly a bit of a dud but this one shows exactly why they’re so loved by Gretsch players. It’s the only Electromatic I’ve played that feels and sounds like a Gretsch. That’s not snobbery or a dislike for the electros, they’re all excellent guitars but the construction tends to be very different from the Pro Line guitars and that makes them different. Quite often the Electros are more reliably built and definitely more inherently stable but the trade off is they don’t feel alive like the Japanese ones do. 

These might be the cheap option but they’re ALL Gretsch 

• Cheers @dazzajl!
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    PM me if you change your mind on trades. That is a stunner.
    notanon said:
    PM me if you change your mind on trades. That is a stunner.
    Sorry - I’ve already bought the replacement. This one has to go to fund it. I’ve all but sorted a buyer on this now but thanks for your interested.