Help with me nuts!

What's Hot
4on64on6 Frets: 86
edited September 2020 in FX
I need a pot nut that’s an odd size. 
I have a Tonefreak Severe pedal that I recently had to take apart to replace a broken switch and managed to lose one of the pot nuts (clever, I know!!). 
I have a little tin of assorted nuts of this type and none seem to fit. I’ve tried emailing Tonefreak and got no response. 
The pots seem pretty specific and have locating tags to keep them from turning... I’m reticent to replace the whole pot if I can avoid it. 
It’s a mini pot and the threaded collar around the shaft is very thin compared to most others. I don’t have a set of callipers to measure exactly. 
Any ideas anyone??? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    I'm almost 100% certain I will have the one you need, I've got a box of at least a thousand random pot nuts - I never throw them away when I replace pots, unless the nut is also stripped.

If you could measure the thread diameter, and preferably post a picture of one of the other ones (or measure its dimensions and say what type of metal it looks like), I should be able to match it for you.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    Thank you sir.... I wondered if you might show up as I’ve seen your name in these here parts. 
    Right! I need to find some way to measure it reasonably accurately and get back to you. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7772
    ICBM said:
    I'm almost 100% certain I will have the one you need, I've got a box of at least a thousand random pot nuts - I never throw them away when I replace pots, unless the nut is also stripped.

That's my approach (and I'm sure many others) - save everything that might be useful one day in the future.

The only danger is knocking the box of nut/washers/screws/etc. onto the floor.

I bought a box of old tuner bits for £35 when I started out, and I'm sure it's earned me more than that since, in cash and goodwill.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Yea completely. I have a drawer full of nerdy guitar bits. Bridges, machines, trem arms pickups etc etc. Guitars and amps and pedals and god knows what all over the flat...I’m just a semi-pro (or was) guitarist who always occasionally fixed bits meself and would help others with easy stuff. 
    Normally when I’m doing a repair.. everything goes into a plastic box cos I lose things... but this one got away... and it does seem an unusual size. Like everything else is metric and this is imperial?? Or even a/f if that’s still a thing ? 
    The American 3/8" pots are imperial threads, and the far-east 8mm ones metric, but other than that I couldn't tell you what the threads are... if I need one I just look for a visual match and try it. For the 8mm threads there are a wider variation of nut sizes and materials than for the 3/8" ones. The type I've found most awkward are some British pots from the late 70s/early 80s, which are 3/8" and the nuts look identical at a glance, but there are very definitely two different threads which aren't cross-compatible, and I suspect these are pre/post-metrication.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hmmmm. The Severe is a relatively modern USA made pedal. Kinda ‘boutique’ I guess 
    It’s not even the thread that’s a problem (yet!). I have a few that seemed pretty close visually wouldn’t fit at all, either too loose or tight. I’ll try to get hold of a reasonable measuring strategy tomozz. Thanks guys!!
    So it’s probably pretty rough but it seems to be a diameter of 7mm or 1/4”. ICBM what’s the best way of getting photos to you? Will you pm your email addy?  Regards, 
    Will do :).