Which new locking tuning tuners for my American 70's FSR guitar?

What's Hot
stevrossthepipestevrossthepipe Frets: 138
edited September 2020 in Making & Modding
Here is my FSR 70s strat that has a bit of modding  by the wonderful T.P Customs so its more useable for me live.

It my main gigging guitar for my main project and gets a lot of use and abuse. The tuning peg stop twisting then sheared off. See peg.and some of them do to behave a little weirdly. It wasted time and that feels very precious at the moment for recording and rehearsals.

So instead of just replacing it I think I want to go the locking tuning peg route for speed and ease. However the 70s style pegs need a special 70s style sizing for the routing and the locking options for that are more limited and Fender don't do one

Just wondered if anybody had any advice or done the same thing. Done a bit of research but never really thought about tuning pegs before.

I use Not even slinkys which are 12s to 56s and you have to peel back the wound top 2 strings to get it in the vintage tuning peg hole which is fiddly and not conducive to quick stringing.

Would pay proper money up to £125 i guess if required but would like something of reliable quality. Looks don't bother me much.

I found these on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kluson-Revolution-F-Mount-Diecast-70s-style/dp/B00TZ1U898/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kluson+revolution+f-mount&qid=1600702357&sr=8-1

Would appreciate any advise.

https://i.imgur.com/wdA5QNw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S1fnzyJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9nic2uP.jpg

Thanks for any help,

Steve

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I think you should look at something like Sperzels as a replacement, something better quality with a higher ratio, maybe there are mini Grovers as well.
    You are using fairly heavy gauge strings, and I think modern vintage style will not last too long.
    I had a set of Sperzels on one of mine, and the 52 top string was a bit tight, so you may have to do a bit of research, sorry I can't be more help. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    I think those Klusons are going to be the only locking tuners which fit that footprint - it's unique to the original heads, apart from them as far as I know. There aren't even any other type of non-locking ones which fit.

I do have the internal mechanism, including the key, from one of those tuners if you would prefer to just repair the damaged one. (Assuming the have the internal cast body rather than the pressed metal, which I think they do.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The innards of Schaller ST6L ‘heads will fit under the stock Fender “lozenge” covers. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-70s-F-Style-Stratocaster-Telecaster-Tuning-Machines-Chrome/QXL?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqH7BRDdARIsACTSAdtvjqjyNnQ3EtPyAl4XTnjnPVTExFBaYIPBPb1N1lodU_tqg-wUkjQaAiMoEALw_wcB

So to be clear these are ones I have? I could just buy a new set then would have a load of back ups but no locking and would still have vintage style pegs (bit the string goes through)

Thanks very much @ICBM for the advise and offer. Are Kluson trash or considered quite good? Seems like the easiest way to go as they would be a direct drop in and would be locking. Yes struggling to find any other options. Getting that off of you might be a good option thanks again will have a think.

@funkfingers They are just normal non locking tuners right but you could put the mechanism under the fender 'housing' and not then have non vintage style pegs?

@andy_k tTanks for the advise. Yes they haven't been as happy since i have been using a heavier gauge. The guitar really does stay in tune like no other I have ever had. 

• Just an update:

Went with the Klusons. I ended up using the original screws and the original bushings in the end. The screws that came with it were a little thinner and would have gripped ok.The bushings were a little wider by a hair but I couldn't get them in. Maybe with a little more pushing they could have been fine.

Really enjoying the ease of the locking tuners  wish I had done this years ago and will probably try it on my jazzmaster. The tension does seem more even across the whole set. which does make it play even better. So far so good will. Thanks for the help from the commentors. Cheers